I can't stop binging!

Options
2»

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Change the language. You "won't" stop eating. Own EVERYTHING you put into your mouth as being a choice you made. The moment you think you "can't" stop binging is the moment that binging becomes something out of your control, and thus something that's almost forced on you against your will. That is a lie. It's the kind of lie we tell ourselves to make it easier to be irresponsible about our choices.

You are eating because, on some level, you want to eat.

This.

Also, read the book "Brain over Binge"
    It's helpful

I didn't really like Brain Over Binge in the spectrum of books that I've read but it does make a good point that every time you do it, you are hard wiring your brain into the habit.

I would also suggest reading "Intuitive Eating" and "Overcoming Binge Eating." Sometimes counting calories can even trigger more binging. Restriction is often a precursor to the development of Binge Eating Disorder.

This is the only one I've read on the topic, it was suggested by one of my friends here who has had similar issues.

I found it helpful. As did she (obviously lol).
    You're actually the first person I've encountered who didn't like it, if you don't mind PMing me why (so I don't further hijack the thread) I'd like to hear it...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    and for the lady who said her binging is 200-300 calories...thats not binging. thats a damn cookie. "treating yourself" and "binging" should not be confused.

<3s for you.

I never use the word "binge" now because people here have determined that a binge = 200-300 calories.
    And it's not true and it bothers me. So I just avoid the word.
  • mahoneyjl
    mahoneyjl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have my spells when I do the same thing. I find its easier if I stop focusing on what I wish I was eating and find something else to do. My husband and I recently did a three day juice cleanse. Now it supposed to be nothing but juice for those three days, well for me that's in possible. .So we decided that we would eat a light dinner instead and it worked out perfectly. But the biggest thing I got from the cleanse, was the relization that half the time I'm bored and just eating to be busy. When I would crave something I would find something else to do. So when I felt like sitting down and eating all the cookies in jar, I would go for a walk instead. Most of the time, when you want to binge its because you've been restricting yourself and you're bored. Start writing down what you were doing when you started to binge and that should help pinpoint the triggers

Hope this helps
    Jenny
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been the same way lately.
  • tarac98
    tarac98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    and for the lady who said her binging is 200-300 calories...thats not binging. thats a damn cookie. "treating yourself" and "binging" should not be confused.

:laugh: I peed a little laughing at this
    me too!!! :laugh:
  • RickMckc
    Options
    You might have more of a momentum problem than a binging problem.

Negative momentum = not being able to stop eating when you want (for days on end)
    Positive momentum = being able to consistently say "no" when you need to (day after day)

That's how it has worked for me over the past 2.5 years. Right now, I'm on a streak of positive momentum (after a negative streak in which I gained back almost 20 of the 37 pounds I had lost). What changed it for me was killing negative mo and building positive mo. I've lost almost seven of the 20 over the past month with this principle.

Specifically, here are two things I have done:

1. Track EVERYTHING - all of the binging needs to get recorded in MFP so that you can see EXACTLY what you are doing to yourself. This is the best way for me to kill the negative momentum because if I don't track, then I tend to minimize how bad the problem is. Seeing the REAL numbers - that I actually did eat 2700 calories instead of 1500 - is a wake up call, plus I realize that I could cut to 2000 without that much difficulty - which is a step in the right direction.

2. Decide to tough it out for just two or three days. That's your goal - not losing the 20 you gained back. Stay under your (reasonable) calorie goal no matter how hard it gets. This is what builds positive momentum. If you fail (which you will), start again tomorrow. Once I get a few days of "in control" going, it is so much easier to keep the streak going.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck!
  • betsybug516
    Options
    ^^^^
    First of all, I <3 this so much. I'm going to add that to my arsenal today.

I've had a few things that have helped to strike a chord, maybe they will help someone else with the choice/mindset issue.

Similar to AA, I think it is, is the HALT acronym: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Which of these reasons is the reason in the moment that you're choosing to eat.

If you're really hungry, that's fine. But, as another wise person said, "If hunger's not the problem, eating's not the answer."

I've been able to defer a few trigger foods lately with these two thoughts, too: 1) Would I be willing to exercise more to burn the XXX calories of that food choice? Is it that worth it? If so, when will I fit that in today so I can use this treat and eat back calories.
    2) If I'm so hungry, I should be wiling to eat some chopped veggies, right? No? Not appealing? Again, maybe hunger's not my problem.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Correct. You may be simply overeating. True binging, however, is a release method like cutting. It's a form of self-harm and self-medication (I used to binge to make myself pass out). I am in recovery for both BED and bulimia, but they ruled my life for 30+years. If you are just eating too much, I would say listen to the other comments, but if you are binging to ease emotional pain, like a drinker drinks, or a person cuts, then you should explore cognitive and behavioral modifications as this poster suggests. Take your mind off of it by doing something you like for 30-60 minutes and learn to become comfortable with the discomfort of not being able to release emotional pain thru physical expression.
    This is excellent advice. For some people, just disrupting the compulsion to eat (or cut, or whatever) for a little while can be really helpful. If 20-30 minutes seems like too much, start with the first minute. Set the timer on your phone for 60 seconds, then just sit and breathe and not binge for a minute. If it's telling you to START RIGHT NOW, tell it you can start when the minute's up. Then set the timer for another minute. Walk into the next room, walk outside, just breathe, whatever works.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    best book i found for emotional eating is beck diet solution. its not a diet its cognitive behavior towards changing your relationship with food.. it deals with emotional eating, not wanting to ex, food pushers.. its just a well rounded mental book towards food and day to day living with issues.

get rid of the word can''t unless your physically unable to do something like because i have ra i CANT do a push up.. it doesnt stop me from trying, im stubborn .. cant doesn't exist in my vocabulary... binging is emotional.. you have to get to the bottom of whats making you binge and slowly make healthy changes.. it wont be easy, but nothing worth while ever is.

first change is believing you can stop because you can. change your mind and the rest will follow.. so much truth in that.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    a motto i live by is food= fuel not comfort.. no exceptions.. if your eating because of FLAB frustrated, lonely,angry or, bored.. than you need to stop, think, than chose.. distract yourself . exercise, call a friend.. if your not hungry food is not a solution.. you will only feel worse after you binge.