Anxiety about going to the gym

Options
Am I alone with this? I went to a new gym for the first time last night and the place was packed with super fit people. I felt so out of shape and out of place. I was going to go again tonight but I just feel so anxious about going. Any ways to overcome this?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just do it anyway! Do not focus on others, as they are likely not focused on you. Once you go a few times, you will probably notice people of all different shapes and sizes and fitness abilities. :D Just do you! No excuses!!
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    First, great job on going to the gym, first step in the right direction. 2nd, who cares what everyone else looks like, your're gonna be there soon enough if you keep it up. If anyone stares or makes rude comments, ignore them. They aren't worth the time of day or the anxiety that they are causing you. Keep it up, you are awesome and you rock!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. The more you go the more you learn. Don't be nervous, just do your own thing :flowerforyou:
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself and walk in like you own it.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way- if you go or don't go you're still paying for it right? Don't you want to get your moneys worth and benefit from all the things your gym has to offer? Other people at the gym likely aren't even paying attention to anyone but themselves, so don't be concerned that they are judging you or anything like that. And in the very unlikely situation that anyone says anything rude to you, report it to the management. They don't take things like that lightly.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Im a regular gym guy and am always impressed with the newbies for actually getting there. I think you would be surprised at how many people are cheering you on. Go and get it done, you will soon see results and get familiar with the machines and the people.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Instead of using them as intimidation, try and see them as motivation. They're there for themselves (they're not focused on you), and the reason they're fit is because they go to the gym.
    Focus on yourself and before you know it, you'll be one of the fit people at the gym.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Usually the people who look the "fittest" are the ones who understand the most.. they've gone through the bad so they can relate to you.

Honestly, if I see anyone who brings intensity is really inspiring.. whether if that person is older, heavier, etc.
  • FaithInAes
    FaithInAes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know I have no reason to have anxiety, but you know, low self esteem does that to ya! But I know the only way to fix that is to go again and keep going. Thank you for your kind words, I needed them :)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    You know, a lot of those super fit people used to be in your shoes and look at how far they have come
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is hard. In the end, it is unreasonable, but it can be really hard to come. Do some slow breathing and ask yourself: do you want to be afraid and frail? Or do you want to get in there and join the ranks of the super fit? (Listening to Eye of the Tiger won't hurt.)

Plus, we're all here cheering you on! :flowerforyou: Come back and tell us how your experience was, okay?
  • fastingfurious35
    fastingfurious35 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you coming from. Very insecure myself. But I decided to stop by this gym I hear about on the radio - the commercial kept repeating how they are - no judgment - no critic - place etc. and open 24/7 and only 10 $ a month.. so I decided to go in there and see how it is.
    To my surprise - it really is the way they advertised. I saw just regular people, young, old- out of shape just like myself - I felt relaxed and never looked at .
    It's called - Planet Fitness - they are almost in every city- if you have the chance / location etc- check them out .

Otherwise just do what everyone else already has suggested. :) We all have to start somewhere . I don't pay attention to the others - and most people nowadays are busy with their smartphones and checking themselves out :) Just go do your thing :)
  • omgcherrybomb
    Options
    You're paying membership fees for the gym right? So go there and do what you came to do. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing or what they look like. You all share a common goal. Majority of them probably won't pay any attention to you, cause their focused on what their doing. So just relax, everything will be fine. :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I purposely chose the appartment complex with the smallest, most limited gym. Just the basics. Only a few ppl use it. I just can't lose myself in the workout if there are other people there... And Id probably get kicked out of a populated gym for breathlessly "singing" Rage Against the Machine lyrics while struggling on the elliptical, with my eyes shut like some weirdo. I cringe to think how I look working out! I'd be way too embarrassed to walk over to the dumb bells and do squats. Omg. I'm sure some helpful guy would come over and tell me I'm doing it all wrong. :/
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to go at a different time? I usually go first thing in the morning and the crowd is good. Whenever I've gone after work it's packed and I can see why it could be intimidating.

Otherwise, as hard as it may be, just go in and do your thing, confidence will come in time.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I felt that way, too, but I went anyway. The more you go, the more comfortable you'll get. Just go!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started running outside about a year ago and my run route is close to a few schools, all of which get let out when I go for my run. So At first I had to deal with my paranoid delusions that people where looking at me, but that became motivation to keep going and not stop because I didn't want to have to look at them as I huffed and puffed. Eventually I got used to the glances from people and now I don't even give it a second thought. If they look if they don't it doesn't matter cause I'm doing it for me not them.

However, a few days ago when I passed the school where all the parents line up to pick up there kids, there was a woman who gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. :P (I got a few high fives from other runners too from time to time). But it just reminds me that there are good people out there who want to see you succeed even if they don't know you. You might even meet someone there who offers good advice. But either way, you're going to the gym for you, so don't deprive yourself of that because you're worried other people are looking. :)
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have gym anxiety too...because people at my gym STARE. It's as though they've never seen a large lady on an elliptical before!! My husband and I found that we aren't very good at going to the gym, so we have started collecting a home gym. We have a small collection of hand weights, a medicine ball, a yoga ball, and our newest addition is a stationary bike. We're in Hawaii, so we're outside walking (I walk, he runs) a lot. Once we get back to the mainland we'll be saving to add a treadmill to get through the winters, and if I get my way, an elliptical and some more weights. It's much easier to work out before and after a long day at work when it's all right here. :)
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to feel anxious about the gym. I still do, occasionally, if I'm moving on to something I didn't normally do. I stuck with treadmills and 'what I knew' for far too long because of that. But after a few years, I just stopped worrying (mostly) about what others might think and just went for it. I moved to weight machines and soon will move on to the Smith Machines, then free weights, then.... Baby steps. We've all been there. No worries. :smile:
  • Chelsea_Laura
    Options
    I've found that people aren't watching you/judging you as much as you think they are. They are pretty focused on their own routine. (At least that's how I am :)