Zumba vs Dancing

Options
Has anybody tried Zumba? I love to learn dances on youtube and burn killer calories doing it! But Zumba burns twice the amount in the same time. Any success with Zumba? Would love to have a different, fun cardio to do!

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of fun, go for it!
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a lot of fun, the energy from the instructors and other class members is really motivating.
  • cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I looooooove Zumba. I go at least 3 times a week. I typically scorch about 800 calories in an hour especially if you get a really good instructor. Even when I don't see the scale move, I lose in my inches which is the real measurement that counts to me. You will have so much fun if you love to dance on your own; having people around that love to dance as much as you will feed your energy. And don't ever feel weird if you don't know the dances the first time, you'll pick it up right away and will be a Zumba pro in no time :)
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for others reading... do the moves stay the same per instructor, so that you can come back and know some of the moves? Or is it a new routine per class?
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    If you love to dance, you'll love Zumba. I don't even like to dance nor have very much rhythm, but I have the best time. :bigsmile: Give it a try.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE zumba but only the Latin style! I have tried many different trainers and in despite its name, it has always been very different experience every single time. Then I found a Columbian trainer and I have never went to anybody else. So if you try it, just bare in mind that Zumba can mean many different styles, you just have to find the best for you. It is definitely heaps of fun!!
  • cns94
    cns94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The instructor will do the same moves every class. Each instructor has variations of the songs, but if you go to the same instructor then it will be consistent every class. I learned all the dances completely in about 3 classes.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for others reading... do the moves stay the same per instructor, so that you can come back and know some of the moves? Or is it a new routine per class?

I guess it is up to instructor eventually but usually every instructor has a routine which stays the same for a few weeks and then they throw new stuff in.
  • dantonn9
    Options
    It's fun :) I've been going for 6 months now. Always the same instructor. I'm just not a dancer though.. I will recognize songs, but despite doing them for 6 months, I still don't know the routines. There is one girl there though that, I swear, knows them better than the instructor!
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To give you some background on Zumba- it's based on I think 4 different basic dance styles. To be called Zumba they have to do a certain % of those moves per class and can add in a certain % of their own songs/moves. With that said, I have been to different instructors and heard the same song and done different moves. If you go to one instructor only they will likely do the same songs and mix in new ones from time to time. Zumba is SO much fun, I highly recommend it! And no worries- everyone messes up!
  • taylermarie13
    Options
    Thank you!! Will definately be trying!