Anxiety about going to the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• RobotZombieNinja
    Options
    Understand 2 things:
    1. The odds are that no one will notice because they are there to work on themselves, just like you.
    2. If they do notice, the odds are that they either aren't getting the job done for themselves and want to take the low road (in which case, don't be like that...kick *kitten*, handle your business and have an awesome day) or they are admiring the fact that you are working so hard (in which case, good on you for being a positive force in the world!).
  • kellcl82
    kellcl82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember these facts:
    1) People at the gym are focused on themselves, not you. When I'm on the bike or elliptical, I frequently just close my eyes and listen to music and don't even notice the person next to me.
    2) Everyone starts somewhere. Those fit people you see were not always fit. When I started, I could only do about 15 min of cardio.
    3) You are working harder than all those fit people. The more you weigh, the harder it is to exercise. Think about moving 300 lbs compared to 100 lbs. 100 lbs is a lot easier.
    4) Forward progress is progress, no matter how slow it is.

Also, I've seen this on the web a few times, and it might help. I feel this exact same way as this writer. I was extremely out of shape when I started, and felt out of place at the gym. Then I found this, and it helped me a lot:

"Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, so NO you are not alone:flowerforyou:

I jut went in and said Jules, just do one thing.

and then i went again...and it became less awkward every time

you can do it...you are worth it.

3n7nb_zps23e202f6.gif
  • dianantownsend
    dianantownsend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been working out on my college campus, and every day I am stared at or laughed at or both. It bothered me at first, and I almost didn't go back. But my tuition covers the fees and I'll be damned if I let a bunch of conceited meat head jerks scare me out of the gym. Keep going, turn your headphones up, and go hard.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Understand 2 things:
    1. The odds are that no one will notice because they are there to work on themselves, just like you.
    2. If they do notice, the odds are that they either aren't getting the job done for themselves and want to take the low road (in which case, don't be like that...kick *kitten*, handle your business and have an awesome day) or they are admiring the fact that you are working so hard (in which case, good on you for being a positive force in the world!).

Great advice. And #3) People who talk badly about people at the gym aren't worth the worry. We're all there to better ourselves in whatever way matters most to us.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Im a regular gym guy and am always impressed with the newbies for actually getting there. I think you would be surprised at how many people are cheering you on. Go and get it done, you will soon see results and get familiar with the machines and the people.
    ^This
    I started going to the gym @230lbs. I was easily one of the largest women there. I kept going even though I felt embarrassed and awkward. I was surprised and flattered by several kind people who complimented my effort, improved appearance and improved fitness. So go work it out, and be sure and compliment those you admire at the gym whether fit or in the process of getting fit. Giving others support helps take the focus off my anxiety.
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do they offer any classes? Make a friend in one and it will help keep you motivated. Or make a promise with mfp friend to both go to the gym that day. Once it becomes routine it will feel more comfortable. You got this! !
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi AES - Have a clear plan on what you want to do at the gym. Just get in there and put in your best effort. You will be surprised how quickly your body will adjust and your confidence will grow. If you are going to do if you are going to do weights do this after Cardio stretching exercises last - don't be afraid to ask an attendant (staff of the gym) to explain a bit of kit (it is better then using incorrect technique and if they give you grief find another gym that actually cares about people. You are at the door and decided that this is part of your strategy the best way to address your anxiety - in a week or two you will be glad you did and will wonder what you were worried about.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had the same conversation with one of the fitness coaches at work today. We have a gym at most of our sites, however, I don't workout there for a couple of reasons: 1) too many people want to talk work, 2) I feel very self conscious working out with my colleagues (?) 3) out of shape and strugging with my work out and 4) fear of judgement.
    I have, however, found a fantastic little gym where I feel comfortable and am excited to work out.
    Hang in there, it's for you, you are going. I have faith in you, you are worth it!!
  • FaithInAes
    FaithInAes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! I decided to face my fears and not let my low self esteem and unhealthy thoughts about myself or what other people think of me get in my way anymore! I stayed for an hour, I would have stayed longer but they were closing but I burned over 650 calories! I would call that a win! I'm so glad I decided to go and did my best. I'm a lot stronger than I let myself belief and sometimes it takes a kind word and gentle nudge to get me to realize my strength. So thank you everyone! I am looking forward to going again tomorrow. :) And what really helped was not allowing myself to be intimidated by all the fit people but using them as motivation instead. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Am I alone with this? I went to a new gym for the first time last night and the place was packed with super fit people. I felt so out of shape and out of place. I was going to go again tonight but I just feel so anxious about going. Any ways to overcome this?

Yo....**** those fit people. You're there to do what you have to do! Don't let the presence of anyone else affect how you go about your life. There is no better way to become comfortable with yourself than to put yourself out there and say, "Hey, I am working out here. Either work out with me or get out of my way."

I lost much of my weight playing basketball. You think I was comfortable being the 5'10 250+ pound white kid on the court who had no idea how to dribble the ball at first? I kept at it and now I can cross people up and pull up in their face (sounds a little naughty, lol) You just have to get out of your comfort zone and forget about other people.

Edit: I see you went! You're awesome.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! I decided to face my fears and not let my low self esteem and unhealthy thoughts about myself or what other people think of me get in my way anymore! I stayed for an hour, I would have stayed longer but they were closing but I burned over 650 calories! I would call that a win! I'm so glad I decided to go and did my best. I'm a lot stronger than I let myself belief and sometimes it takes a kind word and gentle nudge to get me to realize my strength. So thank you everyone! I am looking forward to going again tomorrow. :) And what really helped was not allowing myself to be intimidated by all the fit people but using them as motivation instead. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well done, you! Proud of you!!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Remember these facts:
    1) People at the gym are focused on themselves, not you. When I'm on the bike or elliptical, I frequently just close my eyes and listen to music and don't even notice the person next to me.
    2) Everyone starts somewhere. Those fit people you see were not always fit. When I started, I could only do about 15 min of cardio.
    3) You are working harder than all those fit people. The more you weigh, the harder it is to exercise. Think about moving 300 lbs compared to 100 lbs. 100 lbs is a lot easier.
    4) Forward progress is progress, no matter how slow it is.

Also, I've seen this on the web a few times, and it might help. I feel this exact same way as this writer. I was extremely out of shape when I started, and felt out of place at the gym. Then I found this, and it helped me a lot:

"Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."

thats made me cry :-(