Diet Fads that do NOT work ( i know, do any? )

Options

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    what about body wraps!!!??
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    any cleanse or master cleanse product
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Keotones ... while they weren't a miracle, I did feel energetic and less bloating. But it could have been a lot of other things contributing to that ... I guess I will never know .
    Anything Dr Oz pushes...

Asked the girl working in GNC what was the big deal with raspberry keytones and she told me "It was on Dr Oz. Just another gimmick" LOL
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit diet
    Slimfast
    Trimspa
    Phen fen
    Topomax

None of them worked.
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So true. I watched a co-worker of mine go "on a carb-free diet", he lost 20 lbs but his cholesterol and blood pressure were off the charts unhealthy due to eating red meat, cheese and dairy everyday of the week. He went off of it and has literally blow up 30 lbs.

Going low-sugar is the way to go and limiting processed foods but these fad diets only last for a limited amount of time. Going Carb Free is not sustainable and it's not healthy.

I agree low carb is unsustainable .. But i just wanted to know if dairy everyday is bad even if it fits into my goals ? Im a vegetarian and my main source of proteins is dairy .. Milk , yoghurt , cottage cheese etc ...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Any diet that only lasts a limited time and does not lead to a lifestyle change basically will only work temporarily as you'll likely gain the weight back.

"Lifestyle changes" have the same abysmal rates of long term success and maintenance as temporary fad diets and radical dieting.

Regardless of how it's lost, the overwhelming majority of people either fail to reach their goal, or fail to maintain that goal.
    So are you saying that people should then just roll the dice and hope that they aren't one of the majority? Or is that lifestyle change is really beyond one's control?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Any diet that only lasts a limited time and does not lead to a lifestyle change basically will only work temporarily as you'll likely gain the weight back.

"Lifestyle changes" have the same abysmal rates of long term success and maintenance as temporary fad diets and radical dieting.

Regardless of how it's lost, the overwhelming majority of people either fail to reach their goal, or fail to maintain that goal.
    So are you saying that people should then just roll the dice and hope that they aren't one of the majority? Or is that lifestyle change is really beyond one's control?

IDEA Fitness member

I kind of love you for saying that last part. Often people start with a lifestyle change and then get to where they want to be and switch to "I reached my goal, I'm done" mode and go back to eating pretty much how they did before they made their lifestyle change. Combine that with how fat cells vs. muscle cells work and they gain back a bunch of weight. Yikes! Yes, lifestyle change means FOREVER! Of course you can make careful adjustments to it but bottom line is you are never done.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Virgin coconut oil.

However, putting it on my skin has done wonder for my eczema! Yay!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    and if anyone actually is going to trust a government run agency and believe what is said....well that is your choice.

I work for a government agency and have met people from government agencies around the world.

I can't speak for every country, every government agency, and every government worker, but the vast majority of the workers and agencies I have come across are really just doing their best to help the public of their country.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Virgin coconut oil.

also supposed to be good for cold sores, taken internally 2-3 times a day and rubbed on the cold sore

i;ve tried lots and i mean lots of diets and supplements over the years.......
    slim fast, green tea, green coffee bean, goji berries, hoodia, cabbage soup diet, cayenne pepper supplements, loads of diet pills that are basically caffeine, a rather nasty one that i can't remember what it was called but contained bitter orange peel and gave me heart palpitations, aitkins, fat binders, carb blockers, all failed
    my worst one by a mile is the terriann 123 diet plan doing the rounds on facebook at the minute, people are losing weight and losing it quickly, they are posting before and after pics, normal average people, so thought whats the harm.....
    you pay about £14 for the diet book (which is cheaper than some of the supplements i've tried) the idea is you have 3 meals plus 3 snacks a day, you can eat 2 fat free yogurts per day before 5 pm, and i could eat 3 eggs (egg allowance depends on age) 100g of processed meat per day, unlimited chicken, beef etc but must be around 500g or over. no fruit, the only vegetables you could have were peppers, mushrooms, and onions, think you could have lettuce and cucumber, there were other things as well like 2 tbsp of tinned tomatoes twice a week, certain low fat cheese spread allowance, you could only drink water, you could use the dry cooking sauce packets you can buy but all sauce had to be discarded
    after 4 days i was literally crying because i wanted a slice of toast, or mashed potatoes with gravy, but stuck it out till day 10 (which is the first stage) my head was pounding, i felt sick, i didn't want to eat any more meat, yes i had lost 11lbs but it wasn't worth it, i put my calories for the previous day into here out of curiosity and didn't even amount to a 1000 cals
    i stopped immediately and over the next 2 weeks all the weight came back
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nothing works unless you do. Tigerfitness.
  • NicholePotato
    NicholePotato Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Virgin coconut oil.

It also is great for dry hair
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If your talking about WEIGHT (notice the difference) loss, then all diets technically work in a certain way - but if you actually want to look lean and *toned* then what you are looking for is FAT loss which by and large no diet works - only diet I know that works for the average individual is watch your calories and macros and eat whatever the hell you want!!! IIFYM is the way to go - or you could go totally bro-food :/
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I kind of love you for saying that last part. Often people start with a lifestyle change and then get to where they want to be and switch to "I reached my goal, I'm done" mode and go back to eating pretty much how they did before they made their lifestyle change. Combine that with how fat cells vs. muscle cells work and they gain back a bunch of weight. Yikes! Yes, lifestyle change means FOREVER! Of course you can make careful adjustments to it but bottom line is you are never done.

People still confuse 'diet' with 'lifestyle change' that's the problem. If you want weight loss and maintenance to be permanent you have to get out of the mindset that weight loss something you do for a little while and stop. A lifestyle change is something that should be sustainable for life. That's where I'm up to, trying to change my behaviour and wanting a 'quick fix'. It's hard to do when you have lived your life being set in your ways.

I've tried...

Jenny Craig, weight watchers, various shakes, the Dukan diet and carb free fads. None of which teach you how to eat sensibly, portion size etc. As a result I lose weight and put it back on again!
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Master Cleanse (several times) + juice diet.

When you lose weight on the master cleanse everyone tells you that you look slimmer but you don't really feel slimmer even if you can fit in smaller clothes because you have a high body fat percentage. Skinny fat = not a good look.

My parents notoriously do the juice diet 4 times a year - they intentionally do it so that they can then eat whatever they like for a bit and then do it all over again. Yet my mum had the cheek to tell me my diet was wrong because I ate a chocolate muffin. -_-
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried juice+ or body by Vi? Not going go try them just interested if anyone else has?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Here's a few that don't work. I posted this in a thread that died almost immediately but maybe people will take note this time.

Short version: Sensa, L'Occitane Inc., LeanSpa LLC, and HCG Diet Direct

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sensa-loccitane-leanspa-hcg-diet-direct-fined-by-ftc-for-false-advertising/

wl-sensa-sm.jpg
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    anyone suckered into LIPOSENE....cuz liposene is proven to really work? LOL
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    btw...thank you to ALL who have commented to the thread. might have to start another on the workout gadgets ;)
  • korede1989
    Options
    the green cofee bean extract is ment it supress your appetite.

ALL lies!!