taco night?

Options
124»

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use broccoli slaw when I make tacos. I add a little vinegar, celery seeds, salt, pepper, lemon juice... you can find some non-mayo slaw recipes on the web to figure out what you would like in it.

We make fish tacos with broccoli slaw. I grill a white fish with some blacken spices and break it up for the tacos. Also good is to make a sauce out of greek yogurt to drizzle over them. Mix in cilantro, lime juice, a little hot sauce if you like. Salsa is always good and healthy.

A local restaurant here specializes in fish tacos... they do a great bbq mahi mahi that's out of this world. Not all of their tacos are fried. A soy ginger shrimp taco is good too. Their downside is the fry the taco shell .... I love those puffy taco shells!!!!

That's why I like the recipe builder app here. If I see a recipe that I like, I put it in to see how many calories per serving. I also think about substitutions to make it healthier or if there are some veggies I can add to make it better. So check out the nutritional info on the taco shells at the store. Look at various sauces/salsas you can use. Bump up the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc. Look in the organic section to see what options you have there too.

It's all in moderation... maybe one taco in the shell and then one taco on a bed of lettuce. Build a taco salad on top of one shell... sort of like an open face sandwich. Be creative!
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    I make my own taco seasoning! It's all to taste... cumin powder, chilli powder, paprika, a little tin of drained and rinsed kidney beans, a couple of tomatoes, tomato paste and water so it's not dry. I also make a salsa from cucumber, tomato, red onion and a little sweet chilli sauce. Add some guacamole and voila healthy tacos! My family just has to have it with a little sour cream and grated cheddar cheese, but of course you dont' have to add it if you don't want to :smile:

Friday night without fail is taco night!

*Edited because I forgot to add the kidney beans!
  • My3Sons1051
    My3Sons1051 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like turkey taco's... I use the lower sodium taco seasoning; La tiara white corn taco shell, these are really thin and crispy... Get them at Wal-Mart and they are only 35 cals a shell, FF Sour Cream, 2% cheese, avocado, shredded lettuce, and salsa. Very yummy!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I love love me some Mexican food. I eat it a lot. Use a lean steak and dice it up. Make sure you drain the fats off or cook in a George foreman. This can be done with chicken too. IF you use a lean hamburger, its cheaper afterall, make sure you drain the grease off before adding in a seasoning. Great tip is to use a paper towel to sop up the grease if you cook it in a pan. I add in black beans to my meat as well as green peppers and onions. The key is to get the peppers and onions diced small and tender. You can put these in the microwave before adding them to the pan. It cuts down on your cook time. Now a great tip is to sub out your sour cream with plain nonfat greek yogurt. It has less calories, more vitamins and protein so it is healthier for you. It pretty much tastes the same. I use a lowfat cheese and make sure I measure out my portions. I buy corn soft shells or hard shells and add in a bunch of lettuce to my tacos or have only one taco and one bowl of Taco Salad. Sometimes when the budget allows, I buy an avocado and add a slice to my tacos for the good fats and vitamins. I love love limes in my Mexican food as a seasoning. It really completes the taste. I sometimes slice up red, yellow and green peppers and an onion into strips and turn taco night into fajita night too. A good paring with tacos is some proportioned tortilla chips and salsa. Most salsas or green verde sauce which is my new favorite are low in calories. I actually eat a taco salad at least five times a week for lunch. Sometimes I don't even add meat to my tacos or salad and only use the black beans. With all the other toppings you don't even know the difference. Now I want a dam taco. Hope this helps.
  • FindingAmy77
    Options
    plain black beans
    refried beans
    fat free sour cream
    romaine lettuce as holder instead of taco shell/tortilla

oh yeah, always aim for romaine or even a romaine/spinach mix instead of iceberg lettuce. Iceberg has little or no vitamins.
  • FindingAmy77
    Options
    Am I the only one who weighs everything on their tacos? I weigh out one serving of everything and try to fit it in one taco.

nope I do this too. that is why romaine lettuce is your friend when eating tacos. you can have more food this way
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love tacos.

Actually, my favorite taco is made with leftover chili. Either kidney beans and ground beef or white beans and chicken. I use the leftovers for tacos and taco salad, just cook the water down a bit. Then with all the fixins.

I generally eat a 'big' dinner anyways, so for me the calories aren't such a big deal. If I'm low on the calories I make a taco salad instead, and crush some tortilla chips on top for crunch.

In general I find the easiest way to enjoy my high calorie food and still feel full is to serve it with a very low calorie brothy soup. With tacos I would love something like this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peruvian-chicken-soup-aguadito-de-pollo/

Minus the extra olive oil, rice, and only a few potatoes, plus the addition of celery.
  • s_kunze
    Options
    I make taco cupcakes.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/359725088958275933/

I use ground turkey instead of hamburger and skip on the beans. Then I use a lot of fresh veggies.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like to make taco salads with ground bison meat. I also toast corn tortillas in my oven to crunch up on the salads instead of buying tortilla chips. I buy Ozuna corn tortillas, which are only 45 calories each.

Start off with 2 cups of shredded lettuce, diced tomato, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/4 lb. of the seasoned bison meat. Crunch up the 2 tortillas on top and add salsa and some fat-free plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream).
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Last night we had an awesome taco night dinner!

I put 4 chicken breasts in the crockpot with 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, a can of low sodium diced tomatoes, some cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Let it cook for 6 hours on low. Shredded it with a fork, then let it sit for a minute in the juices.

Used a fresh corn tortilla and topped it with the chicken, homemade black beans, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos and taco sauce! It was fantastic!!

I think we are going to have taco night again tonight! :drinker:
  • epona08
    epona08 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We're actually having tacos for dinner tonight in my house. :)

I get lean ground beef (97% lean or bison if on sale) and brown it up, drain any excess fat and throw in some chili powder, paprika, onion powder and cumin. I'll also throw in some sweet bell peppers and onion if on hand. Slap it in a small fajita sized tortilla with a little shredded cheese, little salsa and some fresh avocado. Totals under 300 calories for two tacos with all the fixings.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When we do taco night, I turn mine into a taco salad. I use all the same toppings I normally do...lean hamburg or lean turkey, cheese, taco mix, green peppers, lettuce (Obv), salsa and light sour cream. I just mix everything together and it is amazing and SOOOOOOOO filling. Sometimes I will break up some tortilla or taco shell and throw it in too.
  • Csy4242
    Csy4242 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash has a salt-free taco seasoning that is awesome! We do Laura's Lean ground beef, Mrs Dash salt free taco seasoning, reduced sodium black beans, fat free refried beans, jalepenos, picante sauce, lettuce, tomato. I wrap mine in iceberg lettuce leaves or use Xtreme Wellness Low Carb Wheat Tortillas. YUM!