Feeling Ripped Off

Options
So I finally mustered the courage to join a gym so I could start the Stronglifts program as I've read so many positive things about it. This wasn't an easy decision for me by any means since I also have access to a gym at work although it doesn't have barbells or racks. It's reasonably equipped with everything else though.

Anyway, so I went for the first time today and hired a personal trainer for 3 sessions. I was hoping that 3 sessions (but possibly increase it to 6) would be more than enough for a trainer to show me the Stronglifts moves, help me to find my start weight, warmup weight etc. Instead, I think he basically told me (after doing a Lifechanger fitness type test for an hour) that doing the Stronglifts program would basically require a starter package of 18 sessions with a trainer though possibly more.

I thought this was nuts, not to mention that I can't afford it. I just wanted to work with a trainer to be shown proper form and, as I mentioned, maybe help me find my start weight etc. Am I being silly or unreasonable about this expectation? Do I really need a trainer for that long to learn the proper way to lift? I'm really thinking of cancelling my membership (while I still have a few days to get a full refund) and just continue with the workouts I'm doing.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ...No. Though it would be helpful - it sounds like your trainer is in it for the cash and has no ethics in being honest with their clients. Cancel the trainer - but dont give up on the gym!
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Not all trainers are made alike.

This one did not listen to your goals at all it sounds like.

It's possible that during the fitness test he saw that your form and stability was not where it needed to be for the Stronglifts program, but if that was the case he should have communicated that to you very clearly. As well, he should have given you alternative exercises you could do on your own with the intention of coming BACK to him after you were ready. (If that was even the case)

Fire the trainer. Find a different trainer either online or in person. Make sure that they clearly understand what you're looking for (a temporary partnership till you can do a strength training program properly) and that they can clearly communicate to you HOW they are going to get you towards that goal in the time period you designate.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    The only ridiculous thing about your post is the gym you mention. It is one thing to seek help and be helped...it is totally unacceptable to seek help and get taken for a ride. I would indeed leave that gym and find more frugal methods to accomplish your goals. With todays technology you should be able to find everything you need online. I refuse to buy anything for my journey.
  • myrealname
    myrealname Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is how I'm feeling.

He asked if the package of 3 sessions I purchased was explained to me (which it wasn't). He said that what I paid for was for him to show me how to use the machines and a few other exercises. I thought I had the option to say, just work with me for 3 sessions and teach me proper form so I can start the Stronglifts program.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of trainers have no idea how to perform barbell lifts. I'd guess somewhere around 1 in 20 might be competent in commercial chain gyms. Rest are just there to rip people off and/or "motivate".
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Double yikes.

Red flag for sure. You should complain or ask for your money back or write a scathing review. Showing members how to use the machines was free for all new members at my first internship.

I wouldn't give up on your pursuit of free weights though. It's absolutely worth it. I've made a pretty concise list of how to hire the right trainer for the job - let me know and I'll send it over your way.

You could also go the route of researching for yourself. I did - but it involved many years of trial and error. A good coach could cut that down to a few weeks. Pros and cons for each!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Get the refund.

Find a gym full of lifters and ask for help.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    It's a crappy situation but personal trainers need to make a living too, ya know? They are sales people first and foremost. Also, I am not saying ALL personal trainers, but MANY personal trainers who work at commercial gyms just kind get their info off the internet. Hell, I could take an online course and become a personal trainer in a month.

I participate in a bootcamp 3 times a week. I COULD do all this stuff myself - it's not hard, but I like having a set time and date to go - it keeps me accountable and trying hard. Maybe something like that would help you?
  • jobegone
    Options
    Wow....18 sessions to show you what, 6 basic moves???? Ok, maybe not 6 but there is no-way in hell you'd need 18 sessions to go over it.

I got a PT for 2 sessions just to give me abit of structure so I could get some confidence and after that he hasn't hassled me to buy anymore or even hinted. We have chats sometimes when I'm there and he asks how I'm getting on. This is personally what I think a PT should do. He made it so that IF I wanted a few more sessions I'd feel completely comfortable asking him for more.

I'd either just cancel the membership or go it alone, with no influence from him.

Stronglifts in my opinion can easily be learnt by doing loads of research and as SunofaBeach says, if your stuck just ask fellow lifters. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How comfortable did you feel that the trainer could help regarding technique in the main compound lifts?

Many trainers cannot train or even do them properly.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    just to play the other side of the coin, (and I'm not saying I agree with this guy at all).

If you are a total beginner I would be surprised if you could learn to squat, bench, row and deadlift with good form, using a challenging weight, in just 3 sessions.

It depends on the standard of the trainer, sessions with someone who really understands the movements would be a good investment...sessions with someone who hasn't got a clue would be a waste of money. sound like this guys probably doesn't have a clue.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and I am confused.

Hendrix has a point though. For example, I can't necessarily teach someone to squat in one session. The complete beginner, with flexibility issues, coordination issues and understandable lack of fitness will often be toast before I'd get them to a standard where I'd be happy to put an olympic bar on their back.
    However, I could teach you how to practise the bodyweight squat, stretching for your flexibility issues and send you on your way.

Bench I could likely teach you in one session.
    Deadlifts can sometimes be more challenging for people to get their form, coordination and most of all confidence right than the squat.

The gym I work at, you can get a free induction where I show you all of the machines, weights and equipment and how to operate them safely.
    You can also get a personal program written for you. This is completely personal, and takes into account your goals, ability and schedule. With this I can usually program beginners that are not ready for these lifts practise for these lifts and assistance work. Then in a month I can reassess and see where to go from there. I'd expect to be getting most people performing these lifts with decent weight within 3-4 sessions, but there would be a month of them working towards them between each session.
    No gym based trainer with common sense is going to let people book and pay for blocks of sessions with months between them, unless perhaps if they are already extremely successful.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is how I'm feeling.

He asked if the package of 3 sessions I purchased was explained to me (which it wasn't). He said that what I paid for was for him to show me how to use the machines and a few other exercises. I thought I had the option to say, just work with me for 3 sessions and teach me proper form so I can start the Stronglifts program.

Um no this is not right IMO - at our fitness centre we get a free orientation of the gym plus I think if we sign up for 3+ months we get a free session with a trainer to help set up a program - also access to all the classes in addition to the pool and gym
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Are you able to discreetly film yourself at the gym? If you are, can you get someone to come along with you for a single session, for that purpose? Although not ideal, there are groups here that would be able to provide you decent feedback on your form and suggest areas of improvement.

Or, find the biggest, oldest dude in the gym and ask him if he'll walk you through it when he's got spare time.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you have some sessions left, tell the dude look I am paying you to show me this. I am not here to be your buddy or bro down with you. You, are a trainer, you get paid to train people on how to use proper technique. My trainer, who is an IFBB professional with decades of training experience can dial people in in 3 sessions with a program you cannot train out of. If he can do that, then this dude needs to refund you your money, or give you exactly what you want. Also, keep a watchful eye on experienced trainers many "bro's" will help you out or even help you more than a trainer will for free. If you never ask then the answer is always NO! Keep the faith my friend, the iron has a way of opening doors to many paths of enlightenment.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and I am confused.

Hendrix has a point though. For example, I can't necessarily teach someone to squat in one session. The complete beginner, with flexibility issues, coordination issues and understandable lack of fitness will often be toast before I'd get them to a standard where I'd be happy to put an olympic bar on their back.
    However, I could teach you how to practise the bodyweight squat, stretching for your flexibility issues and send you on your way.

Bench I could likely teach you in one session.
    Deadlifts can sometimes be more challenging for people to get their form, coordination and most of all confidence right than the squat.

The gym I work at, you can get a free induction where I show you all of the machines, weights and equipment and how to operate them safely.
    You can also get a personal program written for you. This is completely personal, and takes into account your goals, ability and schedule. With this I can usually program beginners that are not ready for these lifts practise for these lifts and assistance work. Then in a month I can reassess and see where to go from there. I'd expect to be getting most people performing these lifts with decent weight within 3-4 sessions, but there would be a month of them working towards them between each session.
    No gym based trainer with common sense is going to let people book and pay for blocks of sessions with months between them, unless perhaps if they are already extremely successful.

This makes total sense to me and I think the initial 3 sessions you are getting would get you working on proper form - which is what I gathered you were looking for? As stated above the induction/orientation part should be part of you inital gym membership package - it's only to their benefit to have you comfortable with what you are doing so that you continue to go to the gym.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I can understand the trainer's POV.

But then again you are attempting a program that makes it seem very easy to learn correct ROM and movement patterns from the first session, when it isn't. People lift for years and still need to tweak their form. The idea that this trainer could teach you how to lift better after 18 days as opposed to 3 is sensible... but it would likely still not be enough.

I second whoever said join a gym full of real lifters and make some friends. Even a powerlifting gym, if you have one near. It's better to pool knowledge with people who you know will show up with you for every single session, for free.

It's scary, but you all have the same goal in mind :)
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You tube the lifts for proper form. Record yourself practicing them. Start light weight while you get form down. Trainer sounds like a scammer.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting scammed. 3 training sessions should be spent however you prefer; you're paying. There's no reason you oughtn't be able to spend one on each of the Big 3, and just handle rows and ohp via youtube etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. I would ask for a different trainer and explain why....if the gym aren't appalled - change gyms. I also wouldn't sign up for any more than 1 session with someone I hadn't met before, if you don't like them or they aren't showing you what you want then you're stuck with.

The trainer at the gym I was at gave me bad advice (IMO). I used the book 'starting strength' to get the help I needed but this is probably not the best way to do it.

I've heard (from my brother) that crossfit gyms are very good at instructing the correct form (I can't afford it though - I workout at home now).