fitbit app vs MFP app

Options
Hi, I just bought fitbit one today and used the fitbit app to get the step count info. While browsing, I noticed many people use MFP. Can someone tell me why I need MFP if fitbit app does the same ? What advantage we have with MFP ? Thanks!

Replies

• rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mfp has a better food database and better forums.

Fitbit wins for gamification.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just bought fitbit one today and used the fitbit app to get the step count info. While browsing, I noticed many people use MFP. Can someone tell me why I need MFP if fitbit app does the same ? What advantage we have with MFP ? Thanks!

I tried really hard to get into using the fitbit site for calories but I found MFP better for a couple reasons:

Larger database
    Mobile App
    Barcode scanner on phone
    Integration with Fitbit
    Better nutrition information
    Recipes and meals of my own
    Copy from one day to another

Granted, Fitbit has gotten better but I still love the ability to scan or input my foods while not at the computer.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    I think the perfect combo is fitness pal for logging food and fitbit for logging activity. Just sync those suckers up and you got this perfect little synergy going on to make your weight loss ridiculously easy. Lately I have been paying closer attention to my calorie goal from fitbit than fitness pals daily budget, but I think they both work so well together I'll keep it synced up like this until the end of time
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think the perfect combo is fitness pal for logging food and fitbit for logging activity. Just sync those suckers up and you got this perfect little synergy going on to make your weight loss ridiculously easy. Lately I have been paying closer attention to my calorie goal from fitbit than fitness pals daily budget, but I think they both work so well together I'll keep it synced up like this until the end of time

Yes This ^^ and if you are in the UK like me the foods section on fitbit is useless!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I only use the FitBit app for doing the automatic logging of steps, sleep, etc.

All my food and other workouts are entered into MFP.

The MFP dashboard just brings everything together so nicely
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I went a couple of extra steps to pull the data together. Check out my blog: http://johntmoore.blogspot.com/
    I pull my Fitbit data into Google Spreadsheets and Microsoft Health Vault.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, I use MFP for the forums and logging food and fitbit for tracking my steps and helping to keep me motivated
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I only use the FitBit app for doing the automatic logging of steps, sleep, etc.

All my food and other workouts are entered into MFP.

The MFP dashboard just brings everything together so nicely

Exactly!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit pro-rates your calories by time of day, and goes way below 1,200 calories. So I joined my accounts & follow my MFP calorie goal.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I tried really hard to get into using the fitbit site for calories but I found MFP better for a couple reasons:

Larger database
    Mobile App
    Barcode scanner on phone
    Integration with Fitbit
    Better nutrition information

Recipes and meals of my own
    Copy from one day to another

Granted, Fitbit has gotten better but I still love the ability to scan or input my foods while not at the computer.

^^^This. Definitely.
  • joepayer
    joepayer Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to have them synced but have since disconnected them. I have a job where I am standing all day and when all those steps get entered into MFP it was giving me way to many calories. I still use both. The Fitbit helps on off days to make sure I get enough activity in for the day. MFP really is the best thing I have seen for food tracking though. Also like others have said the community support is better over here as well.
  • sls8
    sls8 Posts: 4
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to edit the calories in MFP (that has me @ 1200 which is so little) to be more like what fitbit has me set at (1700)? I cannot edit it for the life of me and I am clicking around like a weirdo on the website :P

Thanks for any help!
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Click on "MY HOME".

On the second line of menus, click GOALS.

At the bottom of the goals page, click "change goals".