Wanting to start practicing yoga...?

Options
...but I have no idea where to start.

I love workout dvd's. I'm a Jillian Michaels fan, but I heard that her yoga dvd was more of a yoga-inspired workout than actual yoga. Are there any good easy-to-grab dvd's from Target or Walmart or such that would help me start out? Or if there are any good videos/channels on youtube you could personally recommend, that would be awesome.

And if you practice yoga yourself, what are some benefits you've discovered? Any tips for a beginner?

Replies

• mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love this website http://www.doyogawithme.com/
    You can filter classes by experience, length of class and type of yoga, it's an amazing resource.
    Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Search for beginner yoga on youtube. There are lots and lots of workouts on there that you can try out. Personally I like Sean Vigue's ones - but start with the beginner ones and gradually work up.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I like the Gaiam Yoga DVD's my favorites are the AM Yoga (there are two on that DVD, but I'm not crazy about the PM Yoga) and the Stamina which is a great workout. The AM is about 15 minutes and is more about working out stiffness and getting the blood moving and the Stamina is exactly that … it starts out slow and rises in intensity and then settles back down. I usually do both together and it works out to be about 40 minutes long. It took me a while before I could do the whole Stamina, at first I would just do the first 10 minutes over and over again. Ever so often I would try to go further … eventually I got both strong enough and flexible enough to do the whole thing. I have several others and I really like them … I prefer the ones with Rodney Yee, but I have others that are not him and I like them too.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yoga is amazing! I started going in my mid thirties. I started with a stretch class and worked my way up to advanced. Can't believe the wonderful things it does for the body and mind. Find a good one with stretches! Good luck.
  • missmo12
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Tara Stiles, and she has tons of videos on youtube. If you decide you like her, you can get her DVD set for $20ish, and it has four DVDs with hours of different routines.
  • landiekate
    landiekate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have an app I downloaded a while ago, called Yoga.com. I have the pro version, which I wanna say was $3.00(?). You can choose by your level, or what you wanna work (flexibility/balance/etc), or even the body part you wanna focus on. It also gives you the names and pronunciation for each move c:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You might want to see if there is a groupon or discount to go to a studio and do a series. It will encourage better form and breathing which is vital.

I have a few disk, Netflicks and on demand have some too.

A buddy who played in the NFL got me into it, its great

Good luck
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    if your willing to pay a subscription, giaim tv will allow you to use any of their videos online so you can do what you like.
    I am bad at doing stretches before and after run, yoga provides me a way to get them in, while adding strength, balance and flexibility,.
    it's fun to!
  • asiak88
    asiak88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In my country, we get some dvds with Shape magazine. I collected some nice yoga and pilates dvds. They're mostly for beginners.
    You can also try youtube. If you'd like to try pilates, blogilates is pretty good.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great beginner videos on this site http://www.ekhartyoga.com/videos
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of yoga studios near The Woodlands. I would suggest you try a few classes and see what you think. Try at least a couple of different styles. Most studios offer the first class for free.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oooh! My favorite topic! Yoga is all I do for physical activity. :) I practice Ashtanga but there a million different kinds. Definitely try a beginner's video. I would recommend going into a studio and trying a class... getting some help with your alignment right off the bat can be super helpful so when you start doing it at home you know what you should feel like!! :)

Youtube has tons of free beginner videos. And Yoga Journal lets you make your own sequences with full instructions if you want to try it that way. But my advice is go to lots of studios and try lots of kinds until you find the style you like!
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started a short time ago and LOVE it! I do the Jillian Michael's Yoga Inferno but it's pretty crazy and not really for beginners but it won't take you long to get there! I started with Hatha-Flow-Yoga-for-Beginners Element DVD, I found it a great start and really easy to follow. My friend is an instructor and recommended Bryan Kest, he's great but not really a beginner. I hooked my lap top up to my tv and did a lot of youtube. My husband heard football players do it so he even does it with me lol! there are tons there! good luck!
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You might want to see if there is a groupon or discount to go to a studio and do a series. It will encourage better form and breathing which is vital.

I just got a deal on LivingSocial for a local yoga studio. :)

I've done a little yoga at home, but want to try it in a studio. I think I'll get more out of it.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. Practice about 4-5 times a week. It has completely transformed my body. I totally agree you should try going to a studio/gym for some classes to start. Form is very important and your instructors will help you. Then search out videos on YouTube for at home practice. My favs are the Baptiste style videos.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!! Fortunately I have about 4 studios close to where I live, so I have lot's of options for classes. Also YogaWorks has a great series of DVD's for yoga (a beginner sequence, core sequence and a cardio sequence). I recommend them all...probably can get a good deal on amazon. Also youtube has tons of free yoga workouts. As far as Jillian Michaels yoga dvd's.....I really enjoy them and they're a great body weight workout but they are definitely more yoga inspired...you kind of miss the whole spiritual aspect of it. Studio sessions are the best!
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There's an app on smart phones called Yoga Trainer which has beginner poses, youtube clips, and how-to's to get you started.