Loosing weigh is depressing

Options
13»

Replies

• nikkijames123
    nikkijames123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awwwe. It doesn't have to be...try and look at it differently. I do understand though. I lost my best friend..her name was Milk Chocolate. :) I just keep up my after picture and try and keep my eyes on the prize...a carrot today for a pair of blue jeans tomorrow?? Hug...
  • nikkijames123
    nikkijames123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :) that was inspiring thank you!
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Awwwe. It doesn't have to be...try and look at it differently. I do understand though. I lost my best friend..her name was Milk Chocolate. :) I just keep up my after picture and try and keep my eyes on the prize...a carrot today for a pair of blue jeans tomorrow?? Hug...

fancy You talking about carrot. did Ya'll know 500g of baby carrots equals a 50g chocolate bar? :flowerforyou: and it takes 20 times as long to eat it :tongue:
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Losing weight is VERY difficult for some people, and things that work for some people, won't for others. It is also difficult to change bad eating habits, especially if you have had them for most of your life, as I have. I'm used to wanting something and eating it, not considering or caring how bad it is for me. Then when I look in the mirror or step on the scale, it smacks me in the face.

I am also new to MFP. Some people are very supportive and encouraging while others can seem brutally honest and even abrasive. Take what advise you think YOU can use and apply and just ignore the rest! LOL Start with small steps....for me its lowering my caloric intake a bit and excercising a bit more. I park further away at work or when at a store, I take the stairs when I can and drink lots of water through the day which also makes me walk more....to the bathroom! haha Starting out small makes it easier to apply those changes. And it is also easier to accept and move past any mistakes. Slowly work yourself up to bigger goals, when you see that you can accomplish them. Then you will start to feel better about yourself and your progress!

Losing weight takes hard work and lots and lots of patience! I am still working on that too! Hopefully we both can find something to motivate us to do better and to feel better about ourselves. For me, the weight comes off very slowly and can come on very fast! It's not fair but its how my body works so I need to make the necessary changes to get where I want to be!

Good Luck and hope being on here helps break that depression a bit! :flowerforyou:
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Yes, I lost my best friend also, white wine. I visit her every now and then but she is far away most of the time. A short visit is best and then it makes me realize how special she is in small doses pre-planned!!!!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Losing weight is VERY difficult for some people, and things that work for some people, won't for others. It is also difficult to change bad eating habits, especially if you have had them for most of your life, as I have. I'm used to wanting something and eating it, not considering or caring how bad it is for me. Then when I look in the mirror or step on the scale, it smacks me in the face.

I am also new to MFP. Some people are very supportive and encouraging while others can seem brutally honest and even abrasive. Take what advise you think YOU can use and apply and just ignore the rest! LOL Start with small steps....for me its lowering my caloric intake a bit and excercising a bit more. I park further away at work or when at a store, I take the stairs when I can and drink lots of water through the day which also makes me walk more....to the bathroom! haha Starting out small makes it easier to apply those changes. And it is also easier to accept and move past any mistakes. Slowly work yourself up to bigger goals, when you see that you can accomplish them. Then you will start to feel better about yourself and your progress!

Losing weight takes hard work and lots and lots of patience! I am still working on that too! Hopefully we both can find something to motivate us to do better and to feel better about ourselves. For me, the weight comes off very slowly and can come on very fast! It's not fair but its how my body works so I need to make the necessary changes to get where I want to be!

Good Luck and hope being on here helps break that depression a bit! :flowerforyou:

this is so true.. people will always take sides on what you do or don't do... at the end of the day is your body and your decision.. take the advice and figure out what works for you.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find it exciting and I love it, I think I was depressed before. I think of all the things I couldn't do before, the places I couldn't shop, the clothes I couldn't wear not to mention the years I've added to my life! I look at the people on here with 100+ loses and think how hard that would be to have to get off and the time they must have put into it, it's inspiring, you can do this!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, have the same issue. I find dieting/ new way of life sooo frustrating and also depressing. I've had a weight problem for many years, I loose heaps, feel great for short period of time before I start gaining a little, next thing I know I'm back to where I started ... Am I out of control ... Possibly. Am I unusual ... No. I know what to do, what to cut out, exercise blah blah blah .. Does that stop me being in this predicament. Do I enjoy being fat? Definitely No.

You've got to change your mindset and attitude, that changes you make are forever. It may take longer to lose but it'll be so much better! Slow and steady wins the race. Decide on a one or two things a month you will change; for example, do you drink pop/soda, can you reduce your intake if you can't cut it out completely? If you normally have a can everyday, can you reduce it to every other day for a week, and if you can the next week, have it only 3 times, slowly wean yourself off of these things if you can't go cold turkey. This is what I've done for the past 10 months, slowly weaning myself off of things like fast food and junk food. I also eating more nutritious and filling food. Replace certain snacks with better ways, maybe start off with replacing fried chips with baked ones or getting low fat frozen ice cream or frozen yogurt instead of the regular kind. Look for ways to make changes and make a plan. It may not always be easy, but I am proof that it works!! It took me a good 9 months before I stopped eating fast food all the time, now I can pass up the places without even thinking about it, except to think how glad I am that I stuck it out! It is worth it. It does take dedication, determination, self control and discipline but you can do it and you will thank yourself! Feel free to ask any questions. =D
  • camiscott
    camiscott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. 47 and had lost weight to where i was feeling great. Then life and the bad habits of eating tasty food started again. Now again find myself trying to loose 35 pounds, But not depressed about it. It is a total life change and a conscious effort to know eating better and exercise makes your life happier and more fulfilling!!!!!!
  • 95to5percent
    95to5percent Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight is more depressing..What do you think? check out 95percent to 5 percent group you are here that is the 1st step!:drinker: :drinker:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I found losing weight to be the exact opposite, also weight loss is easy if you dedicate yourself to following the calorie goals accurately.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've never been happier since starting to lose weight! Feeling sexier, more confident, happy about myself, feeling fit and healthy and full of good foods. I'm sure when the first few pounds drop off you will feel better :)
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Weight loss mode can cause depression, irritably, anxiousness, etc, but in the end it's worth it, i'm enjoying the new me, I get to eat as much as anyone my weight would, the pleasure of being light and flexiable, maintaining is fun, no more waiting for the needle on the scale to drop anyone, being the exact same weight as yesterday and the day before, is all the pleasure I need to see!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Set up small obtainable goals for yourself. To more you achieve the easier it becomes and you can build some momentum to keep going. Also try setting up a positive reinforcement system. For example, when I have massive calorie burn days I'll allow myself to eat whatever I want (ummm, ice cream). Some people put a quarter in a jar for every good decision they make and buy a nice thing for themselves when the jar is full. Or you could make a list of things you want on post-it notes and put them in a jar and pull on out every time you reach a goal. I buy myself something for major milestones, every 30 lbs I lose. That kept me motivated in the beginning.

I found it a little depressing in the beginning because I had my calories set too low and my weight loss goals too high so I was setting myself up for failure. So hopefully you don't do that. Read the welcome information, it is worth it.

Good luck.
  • Thencalisays
    Thencalisays Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration, I have been there, and I am sure I will be there again. It's all how you handle it. Getting depressed and feeling hopeless is not uncommon, but it is not helpful, and will often effect your results. I have found that focusing on something other than losing weight really helps me. The goals I set are diet related "I am going to track every day" "I am going to eat all my fruits and veggies" "I am going to stay in my calorie goals" "I want to create a 200 calorie deficit 5 days a week" whatever it is, setting short attainable goals really helps me from getting depressed and or overwhelmed by the big picture. I was weighed at a dr. appointment, used that as my start weight, and didn't get weighed gain until I went to the dr. office two months later. For me I focus on my strength (setting lifting goals) and inches for the month. I pick three goals a month, for example this month was to up my bench by 10lbs, do 1000 burpees, and lose 5inches. I hit that goal already, so next month I will be a little more aggressive in my goal setting. Set attainable goals, it will boost your confidence. You can do this!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Let's just say, I understand. Okay, that's said, now for the how it relates to me and how I'm getting over it.

Yes, losing weight can be depressing. But did you ever stop and think, perhaps it's because of depression that you have gotten to the weight you're at? I know that my dealing with symptoms of depression has a lot to do with getting me to the weight I'm at including the close to 40 lbs I've now lost.

How am I doing it? Well, I'm logging in what I eat, and I'm analyzing how I feel. If I see a correlation between eating a specific food and emotions, well then I determine if it's a trigger food (either a trigger as in I eat more because it calms a specific feeling or it triggers a specific feeling). If I cannot control myself with the food, then I cannot that food anymore until I can figure out how to combat the "trigger". Chocolate is that way for me so I have to buy a very limited supply or improve myself mentally so that I don't crave it as much. That's just my example, for others it may be different.

The other thing I'm doing (mainly because I'm anti-drug whenever medically possible) is exercise. The depression symptoms are temporarily "cured" due to exercise (mainly cardio but honestly lifting helps too). The more I become an emotional exerciser (rather than emotional eater), the less symptoms I have and the less frequently I have them..

The rest of this is that with weight loss, you're saying good-bye and good-byes are depressing no matter how good they are for you. I suggest you mourn your "old friend" (be it food portions you used to eat, the overweight you, the struggles you've faced in the past, etc) and after you've said your good-byes to your "old friend", start getting yourself excited about the "new friend" you're meeting (the new you, the new relationship with food, the new relationship with exercise). You will meet this "new friend" if you continue on the journey and push through the depressing aspects of it. And let me tell you, that "new friend" is so worth it!!!!

Feel free to add me.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The only time I find it depressing is when the thought of binging goes through my head. "Oh it's okay, you can just eat this and do well tomorrow." LOLNO. The rest of it is fine.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I find my weight loss efforts and my weight loss energize me and motivate me. I find that over-eating and being obese makes me feel like a failure and can make me depressed. Friend request me if you would like; we can motivate each other towards success. Good luck with your journey : )
  • sandign
    Options
    I had decided I could live with my weight, if it didn't bother me then I didn't care what others thought. I enjoyed eating. I had already cut out coke etc years ago, ate very little processed foods or fast food and watched my sodium intake. But i loved carbs, like potatoes, bread, pasta etc. Ate little sweets and no sugar in my coffee..

But then i went for my physical and blood tests confimed I was a diabetic. (Was pre-diabetic for years). That alone started my motivation. I went low carb (but not drastically) and started changing my eating habits. I mean, big time. I was hungry for a couple of weeks, but pushed my way through it. I normally drink a good low carb/ low calories smoothie every morning. Because of this, I'm eating more veggies that I ever have in my life. I know I'm low on my calories that a lot of people think I should be, but I'm not longer hungry. When I'm full I stop. But that also leaves me with some extra carbs and calories if I do get hungry and can have a good snack.

My blood glucose numbers now look good and I've lost over 20 lbs since the day after Christmas. My clothes no longer fit so now I get to buy new ones. That is also a motivator for me. I look better than I have in years. Still have a long ways to go but I know I'll make it. Having knee surgery in April so I want to lose as much as possible before t hen to help with my rehab..

You have to find what makes you want to lose wieght. If you don't want to then it will never happen and be successful long term. Yes, you will have some hunger pains but they will go away. Always have a good snack handy. Be sure the diet is something that will work for you. Fad diets are very short term.

And set low goals initially. I've set my goals at one weight but that is not my final goal. It just makes me feel better to reach a smaller goal and not feel like it is impossible to reach. Once that goal is reached then set another one. At least that works for me.

Do I miss my potatoes, bread etc? Sure I do. But my health and looking good has more benefits than the short term fix of carbs. And do it for you and not anyone else, because you matter.

JMO