Choosing Running Shoes

Options
I'm looking to buy new running shoes to start my new running hobby. :tongue:

I was wondering how I figure out what type I need when it comes to neutral, stability and the other thing. Not exactly sure of the names or what it all means but it seems to have to do with arch support and foot shape or something.

Any help on this would be great! Also, any advice for an asthmatic that wants to be a runner/sprinter. :happy:

Replies

• mrsshides
    Options
    Go to a store just for running.Im in Chicago and i have a store called running for kicks. They watched me walk and run them he brought me 2 different shoes and i decided which one felt good and comfortable while i was running..trying them out! I Trust me when i say this i went to Sports Authority and bought Nikies running shoes and the did not fit me right and i was actually hurting my feet...go get fitted!!!!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I'm a New Balance man myself. I usually go to a New Balance store, and let the professionals analyze my feet for the perfect shoe. It's important for me because I do a lot of running.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Here in Dallas I went to Luke's Locker and they fitted me in some Asics :smile:
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    I agree. Don't go to a sports store, go to a specialty running store. They really know what they're doing. My guy spent about an hour with me, analyzing my gait as I walked and ran, with and without shoes. Also, take (or wear) the shoes you usually run or workout in currently. They'll look at your wear patterns and use that to decide what kind of support your new shoes will need as well. Once he figured out the type of shoe I needed, he pulled one pair of each brand and had me try them all on and run in them in the store so he could see how they worked and I could tell how they felt. It was an amazing experience, and I love my new running shoes. All the knee problems I was having before are a thing of the past. GOOD LUCK!! :happy:
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    New Balance is the way to go.. IMO I am in Dallas area as well there is a store called Run On. Check your area for a specialty store they will get you set up..
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Another Dallasite weighing in.

Was told by my personal trainer just yesterday to try Luke's Locker as proper fit was SO important. Some stores will put you on a treadmill to see what your gait looks like. Does one foot turn slightly in? Are you slightly dragging your left toes? Professionals can put you in the right shoes, w/ the right support to help you avoid things like shin splints, etc. For best success, go to the pro and be properly fit.
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did the shoe dog myself at road runner sports
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

I am now a proud owner of New Balance Stability shoes.