Strength training at home with dumbbells?

Options
I've seen a lot of women achieve really nice results with strength training, and I'd like to somehow get into it too. However, I won't be able to go to the gym until the school year is over. Is it possible for me to begin strength training at home? I have sets of dumbbells that are 10, 12, 15, 20, and 25 pounds. Will this be enough for a little while, since I'm new and won't be able to lift very much? I was thinking about doing this workout.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

If I were to do this workout 3x a week, would I be able to get the same results as strength training workouts in a gym with barbells, etc? Or is it impossible to get the same results?

Replies

• nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    edit
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Resistance is resistance! Which ever method you use is up to you, as long as your progressing, and increasing resistance, it will work. Some prefer Barbells, some dumbbells, and some bodyweight. I use all 3 in my routines.

Like you said, you've seen a lot of women get great results strength training, probably mostly with the barbell, which is great, but Dumbbells work as well, and for bodyweight, just look up Waldo on here for proof that it works great as well.
  • nomnomgoodies
    nomnomgoodies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I was just afraid I wouldn't get very much out of it since I've seen lifting defined as the whole barbell routine at the gym. Is there anything else I should know to get started?
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a few free apps I use on my phone here at home to do strength training with dumbbells. I've been very happy with them. PM me if you want, I'm happy to share info!
  • steve0820
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I was just afraid I wouldn't get very much out of it since I've seen lifting defined as the whole barbell routine at the gym. Is there anything else I should know to get started?

Not a problem! I understand that, most people swear by the barbell, which is fine. The reason is, because you can add more weight and lift heavier, then with a dumbbells. But to reach that point, takes a while anyways. I personally switch it up from time to time. If i'm benching, once in a while, i'll switch and do flat dumbbell bench for a few workouts. "heavy" is only relative to you.

As a starter, I would look into routines that incorporate a lot of full body motions, and 3x/week routine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't evene need to use the dumbells. A lot can be accomplished with body weight training only. Some good resources are
    Convict conditioning
    nerdfitness
    YAYOG
    shot of adreniline

All of my strength training is done body weight only.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Saving for reading later.
  • nomnomgoodies
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look into body weight exercises too.

For the 3x/week routines, should I be doing workouts in between days? Like with Ripped in 30 be okay?
  • steve0820
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look into body weight exercises too.

For the 3x/week routines, should I be doing workouts in between days? Like with Ripped in 30 be okay?

Depends on what you think your body can handle and how your recovery time is. What is ripped in 30? Cardio based? core?

I strength train about 4x a week, in between days, or "off" days, I doing bodyweight exercises and martial arts. I guess you can say I work out everyday, just different muscle groups and different intensity.
  • nomnomgoodies
    Options
    Ripped in 30 is basically circuit training with Jillian Michaels with strength training, cardio, and then abs. It's like the 30 Day Shred workout. I'm not sure how effective it is compared with strength training, which is why I wanted to know if I should switch to mainly strength after finishing the DVD.