Protein Bars

Options
Hi All! So, I'm just wondering about protein bars. I've never tried one, but would like to. I was standing in Walmart last weekend looking at them all and I felt like a lost puppy...so I just walked away, emptyhanded.

Which ones are tasty/terrible? Pros/cons? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks :smile:

10502468.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Best way to go is Quest bars.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love Luna Bars, Clif, Laura Bars and Kind bars. Never tried Quest but want to. Unfortunately our grocery store doesn't carry them. I'll have to keep looking but I've heard good things about Quest.
  • bradXdale
    Options

This is 100% correct.

They are on the pricey side (about $1.80 per bar) but they are HEAVEN.

When it says they taste like the flavor on the package...trust me...they do...they're addictive...if you put them in the microwave for 15 seconds you will have an instant desert.

They are around 20g of protein, 1-3g of carbs and virtually no sugar.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

Order a sampler pack and find your favorite flavors.

In fact I'm going to go have my Coconut / Cashew one right now :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Go to GNC instead of Wal Mart.

Buy Quest Bars.

Eat Quest Bar.

Be happy.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I like the Clif builder bars. I didn't like them initially, but now they're my favorite. Luna bars are also ok, but in my mind they're the "girly" Clif bar - definitely marketed toward women, smaller, lower cal, lower protein. IMO, not quite as tasty, either.

Quest bars are super popular, but I think they're gross :sick: The texture turns me off, although they do improve somewhat if you warm them up. They're probably the best bang for your buck in terms of grams of protein per overall calorie content. I'd say just shop around and pick up one of everything to see what suits you best.

(I've also found myself eating more jerky and fewer protein bars lately. Not much else has 14g of protein for 80 calories)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    +1 for quest bars - super delicous and actually has protein, they seem to all be about 20 grams vs. most other "protein" bars that have 7 g of protein and a whole bunch of carbs- not that I am saying carbs are bad but personally I look for a high protein low carb protein bar because I struggle to get in my protein but carbs are a breeze (and I am veryyyy often over on them)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    they all taste like chocolate covered cardboard YUK
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I actually am really not a fan of quest bars, they were just eh to me, I like pure protein bars though, especially the cookie dough flavor. The small bars have 20 g protein and the big bars have something like 32 g
  • sillyshamrock11
    sillyshamrock11 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This is 100% correct.

When it says they taste like the flavor on the package...trust me...they do...they're addictive...if you put them in the microwave for 15 seconds you will have an instant desert.

Microwave idea sounds good. I normally do that with cookies...hahaha. Especially since I saw someone else say the texture wasn't so great...and that would probably be a turnoff for me. Thanks for all of this great info! And coconut/cashew sounds delish. That'll prob be the first flavor I try :happy:
  • sillyshamrock11
    Options
    I like the Clif builder bars. I didn't like them initially, but now they're my favorite. Luna bars are also ok, but in my mind they're the "girly" Clif bar - definitely marketed toward women, smaller, lower cal, lower protein. IMO, not quite as tasty, either.

Quest bars are super popular, but I think they're gross :sick: The texture turns me off, although they do improve somewhat if you warm them up. They're probably the best bang for your buck in terms of grams of protein per overall calorie content. I'd say just shop around and pick up one of everything to see what suits you best.

(I've also found myself eating more jerky and fewer protein bars lately. Not much else has 14g of protein for 80 calories)

What's your favorite flavors of all three of these brands?

Mmmmm jerky.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options

This is 100% correct.

Where are you finding them for $1.80 per bar? Even when I buy in bulk I can't seem to get a price that low :cry:
  • sillyshamrock11
    Options
    they all taste like chocolate covered cardboard YUK

I've heard others say this. Maybe that's why microwaving helps? At least for the whole texture thing? Considering I've never actually tried cardboard...haha :tongue:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Try the PowerCrunch line - especially vanilla... Its like a vanilla wafer... light & airy, 14g protein, 10g carbs. Very, very addictive!!! They sell them at walmart for under $1.50 a bar (box of 5 under $7). All other protein bars seem really heavy and chewy... These are awesome!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Builder's Bars as well. Chocolate/peanut butter to be exact.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein all the way!! Very tasty, not chalky or gritty and **has more protein than carbs.** Eating one right now. Chewy Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Peanut Butter are my favs. Walmart has them in a six pack box for about $6.99. I've tried the quest bars and all I can say is yuck! I don't like the texture at all, and the flavor (other than the cinnamon roll) is lackluster.
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Qwest cookies & cream. Makes my mouth water just thinking of those little pieces of heaven!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars,Pure Protein bars,Detour bars and Kind bars I eat one of them everyday check my diary.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love all Clif bars. Great fuel for runners. I ate the chocolate peanut butter Clif Builder's bars every day for the extra protein while breastfeeding.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ques bars are definitely the best in my opinion!! I usually order them from Amazon to save a couple bucks, quick shipping too.
  • sillyshamrock11
    Options
    I love all Clif bars. Great fuel for runners. I ate the chocolate peanut butter Clif Builder's bars every day for the extra protein while breastfeeding.

I am a runner, so that's great to know! And anything involving PB is a plus in my book.