Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I adore the life choice double chocolate bars. I also like quest; my favorites are the cookie dough and the cinnamon roll (thus far.)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not that crazy about protein bars, but I do eat them to get an extra 15-20 grams of protein for not a lot of calories (between 170-200). With that said, read the nutrition labels. Some bars that call themselves "protein bars" have very little protein, yet loads of sugar and carbs. You might as well just eat a chicken breast. I prefer Quest, Detour or Pure Protein. GNC.com will have 30% sales that allows me to stock up on Quest bars for less than $2/bar, I get Detour and Pure Protein at Costco for less than $1/bar.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars (mixed berry) from Amazon are great. If you go on the Quest website, you can look at the flavors and ingredients. I chose mixed berry because I wanted one without sugar alcohols. Also, Luna Protein bars (peanut butter chocolate) are good, too.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    With all the comments about Quest bars .. I went to their site and they are sending me 2 samples for free. 4-8 weeks for delivery, but its free. Anyone know how it affects diabetic blood sugar levels?

I used to eat MetRx bars when they first came out. I liked the taste, but I think they are probably not something anyone should recommend.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Best way to go is Quest bars.

This is 100% correct.

They are on the pricey side (about $1.80 per bar) but they are HEAVEN.

When it says they taste like the flavor on the package...trust me...they do...they're addictive...if you put them in the microwave for 15 seconds you will have an instant desert.

They are around 20g of protein, 1-3g of carbs and virtually no sugar.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

Order a sampler pack and find your favorite flavors.

In fact I'm going to go have my Coconut / Cashew one right now :)

While most taste like the package says, stay away from the peanut butter cups. BLECH! The only thing from them I threw away after eating only 1/4 of a package.

As for the rest, everyone has their favorites. I tend to like the sweeter ones. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, White Chocolate Raspberry are my favorites right now, but I look forward to trying their Cookies and Cream soon. I've heard good things about them.

I didn't care for their Chocolate varieties, too hard, but the microwave did help. When i carry these with me, I don't want to rely on having access to a microwave, so I don't usually buy these varieties. Apple Pie was recommended, but I didn't care for it either.

As suggested, get a variety pack and see what you do like. You won't find Quest bars in grocery stores. You either have to go to a GNC store, or GNC online. At least I have never found them elsewhere.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    With all the comments about Quest bars .. I went to their site and they are sending me 2 samples for free. 4-8 weeks for delivery, but its free. Anyone know how it affects diabetic blood sugar levels?

I used to eat MetRx bars when they first came out. I liked the taste, but I think they are probably not something anyone should recommend.

My husband is diabetic and these do not spike his blood sugar, as there are only about 3g of active carbs (most carbs are from fiber) and 1g of sugar for most bars
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    the metRX chocolate chip cookie dough was horrible to me. in fact i can not eat any other protein bar besides the quest bars. i cant do the textures of the others.
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    QUEST BARS!!!! Chocolate chip cookie dough....OMG!!!! It is a guiltless dessert!:tongue:
  • Erikaelias85
    Erikaelias85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try Kind Bars Vanilla Madagascar is my favorite. They have a line low in sugar.
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The Power Crunch bars are pretty good; most are around 13-14g protein and low sugar. The French vanilla crème bars are my favorite. Especially when you put them in the fridge overnight.

https://www.powercrunch.com/original/
  • sillyshamrock11
    sillyshamrock11 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great comments! There's a GNC next to my gym, so I'm going to stop there this evening. Thinking I may do the sample pack of Quest and a couple randoms of the other suggestions.

As a side note, I'm also on Weight Watchers. I did a quick lookup of a few brands, and points wise, Quest bars look to be a better option..for me at least.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! These are by far the best nutritionally, you can keep the calories under 200 per bar depending on the flavor and they have 20 grams of protein. Most of the bars you find at the grocery store won't give you 20 grams per bar, the nutrition isn't there and the calories are higher. So, go to GNC or order from their web site. Yes the Quest bars are a little higher in price, but the nutrition, protein level and taste make them very much worth the extra cost!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! These are by far the best nutritionally, you can keep the calories under 200 per bar depending on the flavor and they have 20 grams of protein. Most of the bars you find at the grocery store won't give you 20 grams per bar, the nutrition isn't there and the calories are higher. So, go to GNC or order from their web site. Yes the Quest bars are a little higher in price, but the nutrition, protein level and taste make them very much worth the extra cost!!

I wouldn't say Quest bars are "by far the best nutritionally', as everyone's nutrition needs are different. I prefer more calories in the Clif Builder's Bars and the few more carbs. :)
  • xblueangel81
    Options
    Quest bars are also sold at the vitamin shoppe. That's where I get mine. I buy about 4 boxes at a time. I only eat the cookies n cream kind. To me, they're the best. I always keep a few in my bag, and always have a box at work in my desk. Ill usually replace breakfast with one of these and it gets me through the morning. If I am having a busy day, I'll even replace lunch with one. I'm still not even sick of these yet. I can (and do) eat these every day!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Questbars > *
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are amazing.

My favorite thing to do:

Take Cookies & Cream quest bar... microwave for 8-10 seconds.... cut bar in half ... place pieces on cookie sheet( greased).... take rolling pin or cup and flatten the pieces..... bake at 375 for 5-6 minutes and you have QUEST COOKIES!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think the Quest bars are disgusting, and expensive! I eat the Clif bars which are 20g of Protein and just yesterday I discovered the Walmart brand (Equate I think), box of 8 was $8.88 and they are 20g of protein as well! They arent as yummy as the Cliff bars but for that price who cares, they still arent as yuck as the Quest!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen (and I've looked at stats on quite a few bars), Quest bars give the most bang for the number of calories. I can't say I'm a huge fan... the consistency is like taffy and I've tried nuking them but not much of an improvement. Of the ones I've tried thus far though Cookies n' Cream is the best... actual bits of cookie in it (the cream and chocolate cookie) so the texture is better and it tastes decent. Kind bars are good, but more of a desert with more sugar. Think Thin Divine Bars are def more like a desert bar, but really good. I have a Cookie Dough Core Pro Bar I'm looking forward to trying. I try to find bars with more natural ingredients - some are loaded with questionable ingredients.

Go to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and pick out some that peak your interest... best to try one before buying a whole box.
    Also, there's the option of making your own protein bars or protein balls... you can find recipes on-line. I made some in the past and they were pretty good... you just generally need protein powder (which can be used for shakes, pancakes, waffles, pudding, etc.) and a few other ingredients.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Before you buy...

Quest Bars have the best macros (according to the label). But it is my understanding that they are being sued in California for allegedly falsifying the macros of their bars-- so I no longer eat them. The fibre in those bars (along with the protein) are what attracted me to Quest Bars-- the taste kept me buying them. But i am suspicious of how accurate the macros are so i dropped them and replaced with real food I can track.

Just do a google search and decide for yourself.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Before you buy...

Quest Bars have the best macros (according to the label). But it is my understanding that they are being sued in California for allegedly falsifying the macros of their bars-- so I no longer eat them. The fibre in those bars (along with the protein) are what attracted me to Quest Bars-- the taste kept me buying them. But i am suspicious of how accurate the macros are so i dropped them and replaced with real food I can track.

Just do a google search and decide for yourself.

That civil lawsuit is crap. Anyone can open a civil lawsuit. I'm a Quest Affiliate and I can assure you that the numbers on the label are indeed accurate.