Resisting Free Food at Work

Options

Replies

• bradXdale
    Options
    I just deny it. 95% of the time my foods already pre-planned and punched into MFP with minor changes that I can make via iPhone. I have planned cheats & treats so I don't lose my sanity even though one doughnut will not necessarily kill me I'd just rather have it on a day I want it rather than skipping it at a later date (i.e. going out on Fridays would suck if I could not enjoy chips & queso because I had a doughnut on Tuesday).
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    Just depends on how F@cking badly you want your Goal. Thats it. If you don't have enough self control to stop eating the bad *kitten*, You don't want your goal bad enough. Simple.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    That happens at my office a lot too. I try to pick what I will indulge in. If there is a lunch then a lot of times they will have left over salad. So I feel like I got something but it was better for me than the sandwich. If I do have a sandwich then I skip my lunch (which helps to make up some of the calories), and try to get in some exercise.

Also, I try to eat before I come to work so when those bagels/donuts are there first thing in the morning I'm already full and not tempted.

Another thing you could try is avoiding the kitchen. I take an insulated bag with me to work for my lunch and try to stay out of the kitchen area where most of these treats are left out.
  • TomTomato
    Options
    It takes a lot of willpower. I gave in yesterday on some chocolate covered pretzels someone brought in from Valentines Day. Last year, when my willpower was stronger, I was able to resist the donuts and other sweets people would leave in the galley about 12 feet from my desk! It seems as though my willpower and motivation at this time is not as strong :(
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Either eat a little and stay within your goals or suck it up and say no thanks.

Seriously, I don't get these "how do I say no to free food?" question posts.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Since following a lower carb diet, I've found it much easier to not even be tempted by the sweet stuff. Otherwise, you can try:
    wait a while and chances are it'll be gone next time you look (at least in my office!)
    pretend the item costs $5.00 and you actually have to pay that if you eat it (put in a jar for donating to charity)
    eat and log.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You are NOT alone.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    95% of the time I don't even go near it because I'd rather eat what I brought than eat the free food. Personally, I feel like crap after eating whatever has been brought (physically, not mentally.. ok, sometimes mentally, too). I'd much rather "leave myself out" and have what I planned.
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    That's a tough one, I once lost 10lbs just by changing jobs. Now I am back, and I just don't even look at it. They bring loads of food up here nearly daily, vendors being the worst. Good luck with that!!!:smile:
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. That is also one of my BIGGEST problems! Especially Pot Lucks, when there is such a variety of yummy stuff to try.. I need all the tips I can get to deal with this..
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Missomgitsica, it's not as simple as "Say no and move on". If it was it wouldn't be an issue. We say no and move on all the time, that's how we lost weight.

Work foods often sit in eyeshot (and nose shot) all darn day, for a full eight hours, while other people are taking slow deliberate bites rattling on about how good it is all around you, often as compliments to the chef but sometimes just because it really does taste great.

Saying no and moving on is easy, for eight hours straight plus a visual temptation is NOT.

In most normal life we can just remove ourselves from the situation (leave the party, prepare before hand for a holiday pot luck, choose to eat at home not a restaurant, etc etc) but we can't leave work.

I sympathize because my office does this almost daily sometimes, and they don't put it in the break room, they put it on the table with the fax so I have to see it while doing my job all day.

I won't complain, they're trying to treat us well, and my diet is my issue, not theirs. I don't want everyone to suffer for my interest.

But then we come on here and vent.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am all about free stuff, too. It's hard. Here are a couple of suggestions, and things I would do if I had to deal with this:

1. Help yourself to small portions and log it (half a donut, etc)

2. Avoid the office kitchen if you cannot control your portions - Find lunch options that don't need to be kept in there (insulated lunch bag with an ice pack for items that should be cold) For example, hummus & veggies, cheese sticks, soup in an insulated thermos (if you preheat a soup thermos with near boiling water from a tea kettle, then dump it, then put in really hot soup it'll stay hot until lunch, a sandwich, and so on.)

3. Are you eating breakfast? Is it something that will keep you feeling full throughout the morning? High protein options can do that for you.

4. Keep healthy snacks, like almonds, at your desk. Eat a few before you head into the kitchen if you must go in there.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Oh man do I Identify with this. I could put 30-40 of the pounds i needed to lose when I started in December down to this habit. I'm a purchaser at an intercontinental hotel. I work closely with the kitchen which is right beside my office. For a (long) while there not a day went by without a couple of pastries - plus they feed us what are usually good healthy lunches - I just ate too much of it - top it off with experimenting chefs handing me plates saying try this and tell me what you think. The accounting team (which I am part of) always have snacks and food out, and then they order in food regularly (I've turned down several of these since January - though I will go if we are going out to eat)
    Self control has never been a strong suit, though I like to think quitting smoking last July after 40 years helped with that (as has quitting drinking in December)
    Prior to this job I was on my feet 8-11 hours a day and always moving I could eat whatever I wanted for the most part
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is tons of free food at my office. If I ate it every day, I would never lose weight.

I used to eat a lot at the office. I'd just swing by the table where the food is lying and pick up a cookie or a donut, or a piece of candy, or a piece of cake and go back to my desk. Later, I'd swing by again and pick up something else. ARRGHH. This was a terrible habit and I knew when I decided to lose weight I would have to get it under control.

This type of eating was never planned, and I usually was not even hungry, I was just eating because the food was THERE.

Now I bring snacks to work and when I am hungry I eat one. I hardly ever eat the food people bring in because I am much more conscious of why I am eating and whether I am really hungry or just eating because food is there. If I see food at work, I ask myself, "DO I really want this and am I really HUNGRY?"

Usually the answer is no and I pass the food by. If I really wanted it, I would eat it and LOG IT.

The fact that I log everything I eat stops me from eating things that I should not because I planned out my food day and they don't really work in the plan. I also focus on food that will keep me satisfied, higher protein, healthier, and the food that people bring to work is just sugar/carbs and will give me a sugar rush and then I'll be hungry again.

Also I feel a lot better now that I rarely eat this kind of food. Once you start feeling better from not eating that type of food, it's easier to say no.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If I know there's something in there I shouldn't have, I just don't go in there. :smile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    If I know there's something in there I shouldn't have, I just don't go in there. :smile:

I wish that was an option but usually it's out in my office, not the break room. While stressing about a difficult client or something it's in eyeshot and nose shot!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Either eat a little and stay within your goals or suck it up and say no thanks.

Seriously, I don't get these "how do I say no to free food?" question posts.

if only life was that easy.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist anything except temptation." All of us have our weaknesses and will cave in from time to time. However, at least from my perspective, developing mental self discipline is just as important as being disciplined in our work out routine as well. For me, the battle has been more about the mental challenge than the physical so I try to work on that just as much as I do making sure I keep my commitment to work out 3-4 days a week. And sometimes I blow it, other times, I don't. But I'm getting better and stronger at it. In other words, I purposely focus on my self-control every day rather than, "what do I do in this situation or that situation." Hope that makes sense.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Missomgitsica, it's not as simple as "Say no and move on". If it was it wouldn't be an issue. We say no and move on all the time, that's how we lost weight.

Work foods often sit in eyeshot (and nose shot) all darn day, for a full eight hours, while other people are taking slow deliberate bites rattling on about how good it is all around you, often as compliments to the chef but sometimes just because it really does taste great.

Saying no and moving on is easy, for eight hours straight plus a visual temptation is NOT.

In most normal life we can just remove ourselves from the situation (leave the party, prepare before hand for a holiday pot luck, choose to eat at home not a restaurant, etc etc) but we can't leave work.

I sympathize because my office does this almost daily sometimes, and they don't put it in the break room, they put it on the table with the fax so I have to see it while doing my job all day.

I won't complain, they're trying to treat us well, and my diet is my issue, not theirs. I don't want everyone to suffer for my interest.

But then we come on here and vent.

What I'm saying here is it's not A SITUATION where you make a choice. It's 8 hours plus lunch, 60 minutes per hour, so we're talking 9 x 60 = 540 situations where you have to make a decision!

A situation is EASY. 540 situations to deal with makes your prospect of %100 no failure rate unprobable.

I think some of these people commenting on here don't work so cannot relate, but want to make comments like they have a clue.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There is tons of free food at my office. If I ate it every day, I would never lose weight.

I used to eat a lot at the office. I'd just swing by the table where the food is lying and pick up a cookie or a donut, or a piece of candy, or a piece of cake and go back to my desk. Later, I'd swing by again and pick up something else. ARRGHH. This was a terrible habit and I knew when I decided to lose weight I would have to get it under control.

This type of eating was never planned, and I usually was not even hungry, I was just eating because the food was THERE.

Now I bring snacks to work and when I am hungry I eat one. I hardly ever eat the food people bring in because I am much more conscious of why I am eating and whether I am really hungry or just eating because food is there. If I see food at work, I ask myself, "DO I really want this and am I really HUNGRY?"

Usually the answer is no and I pass the food by. If I really wanted it, I would eat it and LOG IT.

The fact that I log everything I eat stops me from eating things that I should not because I planned out my food day and they don't really work in the plan. I also focus on food that will keep me satisfied, higher protein, healthier, and the food that people bring to work is just sugar/carbs and will give me a sugar rush and then I'll be hungry again.

Also I feel a lot better now that I rarely eat this kind of food. Once you start feeling better from not eating that type of food, it's easier to say no.

This! I went through almost the exact same thing at my office. I actually put on a few pounds after starting my job because I too would simply take food when I saw it most times. Candy, doughnuts, cake, cookies and other random treats, not to mention the constant potlucks...

I had to seriously evaluate my situation and make a change. I started bringing my own snacks, ones that were healthy or at least ones that would fit into my calorie goals. It's not easy obviously, but I resist the temptations of work food on a very regular basis (there is something floating around almost every single day). Maybe once a month, I'll enjoy some office goodies, but I will make sure it fits into my day and I log it. You really just have to make yourself resist. Life is tough and that's the way it goes.

My advice is to bring snacks from home or to look up the calories in whatever office food is tempting you because the shock may just help you to resist. There were Krispy Kreme doughnuts at my office Monday morning and I looked up the calorie content. When I saw how high the count actually was, I was floored and easily held myself back from taking one.