Spent three hours at the mall, Fitbit issue?

Options
My husband and I took our son to the mall today, we spent three hours (minus lunch time, so maybe two and a half) walking around, my Fitbit only registered something like 1500 steps for the day which I normally break past by noon. My question is, do you think it is possible that the fact I was pushing a stroller instead of just plain walking could have effected the readings? Or could the fact it's a bit looser on my wrist than most days be messing things up? I know I was less active than most days today, but 10,000 steps less seems crazy to me.

Replies

• yungohara
    yungohara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would try the Help forums on Fitbit.com, but my first guess would be that pushing the stroller kept your hand more stable than normally swinging it so it couldn't accurately log the step count. Just speculating though!
  • ghostfingers
    Options
    I've googled this before, and found this

http://www.jamierubin.net/2013/05/28/does-pushing-a-stroller-affect-fitbit-flex-data-capture/

So yeah, it does appear to be an issue that Fitbit has.
  • Mr_Mer
    Mr_Mer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You could always add an activity to your log for that day and account for the steps.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    This is the main reason I never got a wristband based fitness tracker. It's totally dependent on swinging your arms, so if you're resting your arms on a stroller or a shopping cart, it ceases to count steps. May as well take it off and leave it in the car. The clip on ones like the one I have are far more accurate. You clip it to your center mass (shirt, bra, pants pocket) and it counts every single step cause as long as your center mass is moving, it knows you're taking steps.

Buuuuut since you already have one, I'd suggest taking your hands off the cart or stroller or logging your walking separately. Or just not counting that time at all and consider it bonus exercise. Or hey, you can always sell it and get a fitbit one!
  • ghostfingers
    Options
    Oh, and this is completely derpy and I should have mentioned it earlier- I've found that if I'm having issues with things like that, you can just put it through a belt loop while you know you'll be pushing a stroller. It records steps really accurately on my hip.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yesterday was my first day off with the the Fitbit which meant less walking than normal (pretty walking heavy job) but that seemed really low to me. Normally when I push the stroller I do it one handed but the mall was too crowded to allow for any drifting (it's one of those three wheeled jogging strollers which is great for jogging in a straight line and terrible for most else).
    I did a bit of extra workout last night to make up for how ever many steps taken/calories burned I missed and I'll know for cuter reference.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Look at that as a blessing. Milling about the mall is not exercise.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Obviously not, but walking is walking, no need to be a ****.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Tell that to the mall walkers I occasionally bump into. Some of those broads really move. You gotta look out for the elbows or you'll lose an eye.
  • chase128
    chase128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Force and it does the same thing when pushing shopping carts. To fix this I put the setting on "Non-dominant hand" and put it in my pocket. I tested this against my old Fitbit Zip and over the course of 90 min it was less than 1% off.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Any movement is exercise :grumble:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Walking in the mall is the same as walking leisurely at the park. It's exercise, sorry buddy.
  • doubleclick_darling
    Options

Tell that to the mall walkers I occasionally bump into. Some of those broads really move. You gotta look out for the elbows or you'll lose an eye.

Many of the malls I've been to have walkers clubs (they have certain times where the mall is to themselves, usually an hour before opening or soon after closing for an hour where they can walk up and down the length of the mall (even up and down the escalators, which are turned off at that time) so they're not disturbing regular mall traffic. Some even provide promotions (discounts at stores, sponsorship with medical centers, etc.).

And just wandering around the mall all day definitely gets me more steps than I would get just lounging about, which was what the original question was about.
  • jmadison20
    jmadison20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit force and I walk the stroller to and from my daughter's daycare and it was counting steps. I have it set on non-dominant hand so it is a little more sensitive. :smile:
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My question is, do you think it is possible that the fact I was pushing a stroller instead of just plain walking could have effected the readings?

That would be my best guess. I love my fitbit force, but that is the one thing I don't like about it is that it won't count accurately when pushing something. I have become very adept and pushing carts one handed through the grocery store etc.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

It might not be "exercise" but it contributes to your TDEE. Someone who walks 15,000 steps a day uses more energy than someone who works 5,000. Bottom line.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Force and it does the same thing when pushing shopping carts. To fix this I put the setting on "Non-dominant hand" and put it in my pocket. I tested this against my old Fitbit Zip and over the course of 90 min it was less than 1% off.
    Thanks, I already wear my flex on my non dominant hand so I don't know if that would work still? I didn't notice it missing steps when I walk/jog to the store from my apartment but it must help that the sidewalks in my neck of the woods could use some leveling.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Sorry, but that couldn't be more incorrect. There are people that are just starting out (and even some that have lost major weight) that ONLY walk for exercise.
  • joecaiola
    Options
    Definitely, the stroller. Same happens on a bicycle. Think dropping it in your pocket is the right trick for this.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Notice I said MILLING about the mall. Mall walkers, and true walking is exercise. But milling about, stopping and looking, shopping ect. is just not something I consider exercise. All movement is good, certainly. Do you also consider grocery shopping exercise?