I need meat

Options
2»

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I also feel it necessary to point out that this is just an example of an ongoing issue for at least a decade. If I have a salad with eggs and cheese, I'm empty. I add an ounce of Ham or turkey to it, I'm full. Don't even talk to me about soy. This isn't just a Lean Cuisine issue - this is an everything without meat issue.

makes complete sense to me. you need some protein and fiber in most of your meals. if not all. there is nothing wrong with some chicken, turkey etc. Try adding black beans. they tend to keep me full and satisfied longer. Most of those meals need to be paired with a good sized salad or a greek yogurt (packed with protein) or I get hungry soon afterwards as well. It really only comes down to calories that you take in. IF you take in good stuff like protein and fiber and limit your empty carbs while adding in the good carbs like roamine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, asparagus,, etc. Then you will feel full longer because your stomach takes longer to digest these. That is my experience anyways.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and even I get hungry after those tiny meals. The ravioli is the worst because you only get a few of them. If I were you, go for the hearty vegetarian dinners. Anything by Amy's Kitchen is great and I'm never hungry after them.
  • futurejedi
    Options
    eat chicken mixed in with a salad instead of a lean cuisine
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a Lean Cuisine meal every day for lunch. They help me keep portions and save my "real" food preparation for dinner. I have absolutely no problem with their products that have meat in them; however, I have this problem with anything that has cheese as its main protein. I don't know where you got the quote, "I'd love a reason to give up meat," because I don't see it anywhere here.

That's totally fine; eat whatever you like. Cheese can help with protein, but isn't always enough protein on its own.

I'm replying because you asked "I don't know where you got that quote!" From your OP:

"I will continue eating meat, but I'd love a reason why I absolutely cannot go without meat."

I quoted, "I'd love a reason why I absolutely cannot go without meat" to reply, "You probably won't find it here. ;)" Wink face and all.

I think I'm hungrier on days when I eat carb heavy foods. Everyone's different and I'm not saying they aren't. I just didn't want to be accused of putting words in your mouth.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly if an ounce of meat is enough:

1) I'd doubt that it's anything physically wrong, but I would suspect there's a conditioned reflex of some sort.
    2) Buy food with meat in it instead of trying to substitute.

^This! I also doubt you'll find a doctor or nutritionist that will deem it medically necessary for you to eat meat, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat whatever you want to eat. They can make recommendations (based on whatever sensationalist news article they are recently read), but that doesn't mean you have to do something that doesn't make you feel good. I eat meat at least three times a day because it's tasty and satisfies my hunger.
  • fairefaerie
    fairefaerie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To quote my trainer when I asked him: "meat is dense in a physical sense, it's much harder to digest, so it sticks in the stomach longer and it has more protein than cheese." Made sense and was an actual answer. I appreciate all you guys' responses though.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You're a meataholic. It's a disease. No one blames you
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you got the quote, "I'd love a reason to give up meat," because I don't see it anywhere here.

It's from your first post. The last thing you said.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your body (or possibly your mind) is probably accustomed to it and there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone's body responds differently to food. You may never find a doctor who has an appropriate medical answer for you because it could just be the way your body is.

Adding an oz of meat to each meal isn't going to do anything harm to your diet, so just go for it and don't worry about it. And that advice comes from a vegetarian ;)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure that you are getting the same amount of protein and fat in your vegetarian meals as in omni meals?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I also feel it necessary to point out that this is just an example of an ongoing issue for at least a decade. If I have a salad with eggs and cheese, I'm empty. I add an ounce of Ham or turkey to it, I'm full. Don't even talk to me about soy. This isn't just a Lean Cuisine issue - this is an everything without meat issue.

It could be that the protein content of the meat meals is simply higher and thereby more satisfying for you. Have you tracked protein content of the meals to see if that is the reason?

It could also be psychological, which would be a little harder to prove.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    the lean cuisine is definitely a little light for a whole meal without something else (Even if you are on 1200 calories a day 230 for lunch is too low IMO - I'd rather eat a lighter dinner than lunch because i have less caloric output after dinner than i do lunch so i need the fuel. In my case i usually keep breakfast the smallest though in the sub 300 range. If you are going to eat sucjh a small serving why not bulk it up with a good chunk of salad, or have a salad with chicken breast or Hard boiled eggs as an alternate (
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yeah those are convenience meals, not very nutrient dense. This has nothing to do with needing meat.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't know if you got your protein and calories from eggs or meat. Sounds like youve convinced yourself.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Think it could be psychological?

I know some days if I wanted pizza, I couldn't be satisfied until I had pizza.

+1