Does MFP work?

Options
I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you? If yes or no then why? What else did you do to help trim yourself down? When it comes to eating right how did you not give in to indulgence? (My problem)

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Been working for me so far. Had a fitness coach recommend keeping a food diary, and the MFP app seemed to be the the most recommended (calorie counting is really only useful if you track everything -- having the tracker on my phone makes that easy). The first couple of days I was tracking, I was surprised how much the little crap (tortilla chip here, little piece of candy there) added up. Cutting out most of the grazing helped a lot, and being able to plan a meal before eating out helped even more. I've also got a certain amount of "indulgence" built into my food budget -- I'll usually eat around 100 calories of candy during the day -- the key is to keep that from becoming hundreds of calories (so I'll savor that one piece of pizza, rather than eat half of the pizza, etc.). I also added a 30 minute home exercise routine in the evenings -- before MFP I would've considered 30 minutes to be a waste of time, but that 250-300 calorie burn per day (on top of my existing 750 calorie deficit) makes a big difference.

Now, ask me again in June -- my goal is to get down to fightin' weight before sand volleyball seaon. So far I'm ahead of schedule, but I've heard the last few pounds are a pain to get off. Cross that bridge when I get there.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It's not absolutely necessary to lose weight but it is indeed a very handy and convenient tool mixed with a food scale and exercise.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I frequently give in to indulgence.

I find MFP really helpful to track. I usually plan my whole day ahead on MFP so I've got at least a guideline of what I'm eating. And then one of my tenants brings me a chocolate croissant, so I delete a few things and re-jiggle my menu to fit it in. And I know I'm still OK with my calorie limit. And if I later have a latte and go over AGAIN, I go to the gym and blast it out in the weightsroom/elliptical.

It's about being flexible but sensible. Experiment, find what works for you.

Most importantly: don't give up. You fail, you fall, you pick yourself, you keep going. I know from experience that I can lose weight by eating clean and working out 5 times a week. But it makes me miserable and I can't do it for very long. I like my indulgences too much. So my weight loss is ssssllllooowww.... But it the number IS going down. And it's something I can sustain for life. AND I'm happy :)
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I lost all of my weight here on MFP and reached my goal weight in roughly 5-6 months. It helped keep me accountable with every thing I put into my mouth. For the most part I am not very active, but fairly sedentary (with my desk job) however do try to run on the treadmill once a week or in summer I would take 20-30 minute walks a couple times a week.

I am sure I could have gotten more results with a more toned body had I chosen to exercise a little more and incorporate weight lifting. But counting my calories definitely took the weight off, and I am not one of those "eat super clean" people. Just stayed within my goals and did my best to be more active than normal.

As long as you log accurately and measure your portions, MFP definitely works for most people :)
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    I believe does, down 27lbs. Give it a try, I believe you will find it a very useful tool if used correctly. Best of luck with your goals.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    No, myfitnesspal on it's own will do nothing. You'll track calories and lose weight, then once you get to where you want to be you'll stop and go back to where you were. Maybe even end up worse than before. However the lifestyle change that many adopt when using this website and the lifelong commitment you'll find from other MFP users will absolutely help you get to where you want to be and stay there. So the answer remains no, myfitnesspal doesn't work because it's just a tool. You're the one that makes the change.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Look at my track for the answer.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I found it really does - I'm on a new account now due to my total technological inability, but lost 40lb previously in a little over seven months.

I haven't cut out any foods really - just smaller portions, and if I know I am having an unhealthy tea, I will run it through the calorie counter first, so I know what I can or can't eat for the rest of the day and how much physical activity I need to do to combat it. I haven't felt particularly deprived at any point, so it works for me.

You do need to do it 'properly' though - weigh foods etc and don't eat back all of your exercise calories - you will find these tend to be overestimated anyway.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not at all.
  • veredit
    veredit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Down 58 lbs in a safe and easy way, think for yourself.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for a little over a year, and it works for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you?

It's like any other tool - it works as well as the person wielding it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    its not gonna work by itself. you have to do most of the work. but following its suggestions, it is everything i need it to be.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you? If yes or no then why? What else did you do to help trim yourself down? When it comes to eating right how did you not give in to indulgence? (My problem)

I lost weight with Weight Watchers online then joined MFP to help me maintain. For maintaining my weight, MFP works. As for indulgences, moderation is key and "eating right" is totally subjective...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    You get out of it what you put into it. It certainly helped me gain some friends and keeps me entertained during the day while I am at work, so yes.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As long as you do your part and make sure you track as accurately as you can, MFP will work. It's a new, interconnected take on the food and exercise diaries people have been using for decades. The biggest benefits I have found are the ability to access it from any computer and the extensive database that means I don't have to research the nutrition info for every new food I try.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    3 years. down close to my goal weight and healthier than ever!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Like Mr Knight said... you get out what you put in.
    Also, if you put in the effort, you learn SO much AND... (best part for me!) you see that you don't have to suffer through giving up the foods you enjoy.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty happy with MFP. I track everything - food and workouts - and make a great deal of effort to stay hydrated. We all have falls and fails, but the important thing is to get back up and keep going. Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try new foods or workouts. I've noticed my food preferences have shifted a LOT since I seriously started tracking in May 2013, but I don't really kick myself too hard over the occasional indulgence. We're all human. :happy: