1 month in......it's working!

Emdicio
Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
I'm not normally one to toot my own horn but I know how much these post can mean to those just starting out so I wanted to share my progress in the first month. I just finished 4 full weeks of using MFP to journal my daily intake and am officially down 10 pounds! I say officially because I was actually down 11 yesterday but popped back up a pound today (and that's OK).

For me, all the difference has been the journaling; holding myself accountable each day. By forcing me to take a no-BS look at what I was eating I quickly realized how poorly I was eating and I made changes to get within my numbers each day. I've had slips, but always got back on rack the next day. Also, I don't let a "bad" day or weight fluctuation get to me (much!); I know it's just temporary. I still have a long way to go but I now KNOW I can get down to a reasonable weight if I stay on track here.

While I'm happy with my progress, I'm absolutely thrilled for my wife - she is down 14 pounds in 5 weeks! She started Nutrisystem a week before I got serious and she's been using a blend of "normal" eating and Nutrisystem foods, tracking everything on MFP and staying within her counts. What's exciting for her is that she went through her closet this weekend with the intention of cleaning out old stuff and she found that she now fits into clothes she hasn't worn in years - she got a whole new wardrobe yesterday! I know how much that means to her and am really proud of her progress.

It's 1 step in a long journey but we're on our way! Many thanks to MFP and the inmates here who are so helpful and welcoming - you guys are great! Cheers......Mike

Replies

• Emdicio
    I'm not normally one to toot my own horn but I know how much these post can mean to those just starting out so I wanted to share my progress in the first month. I just finished 4 full weeks of using MFP to journal my daily intake and am officially down 10 pounds! I say officially because I was actually down 11 yesterday but popped back up a pound today (and that's OK).

For me, all the difference has been the journaling; holding myself accountable each day. By forcing me to take a no-BS look at what I was eating I quickly realized how poorly I was eating and I made changes to get within my numbers each day. I've had slips, but always got back on rack the next day. Also, I don't let a "bad" day or weight fluctuation get to me (much!); I know it's just temporary. I still have a long way to go but I now KNOW I can get down to a reasonable weight if I stay on track here.

While I'm happy with my progress, I'm absolutely thrilled for my wife - she is down 14 pounds in 5 weeks! She started Nutrisystem a week before I got serious and she's been using a blend of "normal" eating and Nutrisystem foods, tracking everything on MFP and staying within her counts. What's exciting for her is that she went through her closet this weekend with the intention of cleaning out old stuff and she found that she now fits into clothes she hasn't worn in years - she got a whole new wardrobe yesterday! I know how much that means to her and am really proud of her progress.

It's 1 step in a long journey but we're on our way! Many thanks to MFP and the inmates here who are so helpful and welcoming - you guys are great! Cheers......Mike
  • happy-smiley-8769.gif

High fives to you and your wife's better judgment. This is only the tip of the iceberg and look forward to hearing more great updates on you folks.
  • That is awesome! Great job! You are off to a wonderful start.
    I just started MFPabout a week ago, and I use www.thedailyplate.com to help me monitor my calorie intake.
    Overall I've lost 35lbs.
    My goal is to lose 100lbs! :smile:

82225.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    This is great news for both you and your wife!

I agree, MFP has been the best resource ever and tons of my family agree....
    I've only dropped 6 lbs but dang, that's more then usual for me....the toning ans overall shape has changed dramatically!

THANK YOU MIKE for the site and all the people who support each other here!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Yey to you all for your loss so far! Hooray!!! :flowerforyou: Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing!
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    2 weeks in, 5 pounds down. Never thought it could work but the proof is on the scale.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Congrats to both of you!!!!!

Keep up the GREAT work!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    I am thrilled for you. Hope to have this same success! :drinker:
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    the no BS look - that's soo important!!!
  • Emdicio
    the no BS look - that's soo important!!!

Agreed, a lot of the foods I was eating I thought of as "healthy" but plugging them into MFP showed me how wrong I was. Journaling takes all the guesswork away - no BS...
  • the no BS look - that's soo important!!!

Agreed, a lot of the foods I was eating I thought of as "healthy" but plugging them into MFP showed me how wrong I was. Journaling takes all the guesswork away - no BS...

I think that's what has helped me the most as well. Not just eating less, but eating less crud...It's amazing how our bodies respond so well when we treat it well:wink:

Congrats to everyone who is doing so well, and to those who aren't :DON"T GIVE UP!! YOU CAN DO IT!!:heart:
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Congrats keep up the great work.
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Good for you! Keep up the hard work.:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!