Do you ever wonder, why bother?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm new here, well, kinda.

I created an account today and I picked a positive name and an inspirational photo but in reality I always wonder why I bother worrying about losing the weight. So lets say I drop my 40lbs, now what? Will I be happier? Will I really feel that much better? Will I think I look better? When I was younger and weighed 120, I thought I was fat back then!

Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry.... sorry to be so negative but I really think about these things.

I would love to hear your responses, hopefully positive ones as I have been in such a slump for almost a year now. I wasn't always like this. Fitness was my life and very important to me at one time.

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think it will be worth it for me. I want to be thinner, this is what I have to do to make that happen! I remember that when I feel down
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Dont think of it as a "diet" but more of a lifestyle change. IMO it sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food and body dysmorphia, especially if you thought you were fat at 120 pounds. I dont think losing weight is torture either, i rather enjoy eating well and exercising everyday. It makes me feel strong and healthy (the key word is = HEALTHY)
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel you FF121! I look at my HS pics (5'2" 120lbs) and remember thinking that I was overwieght. Then GAINING 25lbs and actually being overweight. Then getting pregnant and becoming outright fat (I used the "eating for 2 excuse", my bad). The sound byte that recurs in my head is from Fried Green Tomatoes when Kathy Bates loses it & admits that sometimes she thinks about just letting herself go, just getting really fat.
    But you know, I want to fit into my clothes again! I want to wear shorts to the beach damnit! I know that being 120 again won't assure my happiness, I'm not losing weight to be happy. I'm losing weight to wear the clothes I want to wear and to be a good role model to my daughter. Not that I think overwieght people aren't good role models, but I WANT to be her role model in being helathy, having a good relationship with food, and being active in life. Honestly, if I meet those goals and the scale NEVER says 120 again then fine. I will be happy! But I want to be healthy and I know that my current weight, at my height, is not healthy. So chin up butter cup, it will get better.

Levesque_7, I'm hoping that OP just is refering to "normal teen girl behavior" ... at least that's how I was and how most girls I knew were at the 15-17 age.
    "OMG I'm SO fat! I just ate 7 M&Ms!"
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I too look back at photos and wonder - I wish I was as fat now as I thought I was back then! Definitely think of it as a lifestyle change - That's what I have told my kids and when I say the Dreaded D word - they correct me - especially my 8 year old. He is the best. Is it worth it - sure thing - Is it hard - yep - but so is being heavy and out of shape! I'll take better health hard, than laying on the couch hard. Took me a while to come to that conclusion and this time I am sticking with it - I have support from a good friend and I like MFP - so that is working for me so far!

Do you best and decide which HARD you want.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's been all positive for me, no "torture" whatsoever.

So, no, I've never thought that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've seen this topic a lot today in various forms.

Honestly for me, it's worth it to the extent of staying at a relatively healthy weight to keep problems (health etc) at bay, to fit into the world better, to feel better about myself, etc.

But I lack motivation that would take me down the road of rock hard abs, living in the gym, and pondering cosmetic surgery for my least favorite bits.

For me looking halfway nice in some skinny jeans with boots and a one piece swimsuit is like "sweet!!" and simply put...enough. I could happily live at about 170 lb forever and be cool with it.

We all have different levels of motivation.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry....

I am not torturing myself this time. I am not doing ups and downs or guilt or hungry.

I am relearning what a 'normal' day of eating looks like, eating at a reasonable deficit with more healthy choices along with my personal favorites including pizza and ice cream. I am realizing that, if I eat well most of the time, I can still indulge in my steak and shrimp with baked potato and butter without getting fat (Losing weight, in fact).

I'm finding a comfortable place where I can eat the foods I enjoy without guilt or being fat.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I created an account today and I picked a positive name and an inspirational photo but in reality I always wonder why I bother worrying about losing the weight. So lets say I drop my 40lbs, now what? Will I be happier? Will I really feel that much better? Will I think I look better? When I was younger and weighed 120, I thought I was fat back then!

Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry.... sorry to be so negative but I really think about these things.

I would love to hear your responses, hopefully positive ones as I have been in such a slump for almost a year now. I wasn't always like this. Fitness was my life and very important to me at one time.

Why do you view taking care of yourself torture???
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

<
    It's worth it. You'll feel better, enjoy what you eat and feel good about it, and know you are taking care of yourself. You'll live longer. You won't be hungry.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Why do you view taking care of yourself torture???

I just wanna say I agree with this too.

It doesn't have to be torture. Maybe if you feel that way you have set too difficult of a goal for the beginning.

For some people (myself included) it's much easier to set smaller goals so that you have the constant success of reaching those goals. Then you may be ready for bigger goals!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks I have a breakdown wondering why I try so hard to achieve so little (to me, anyway, I feel I have made no real headway despite completely overhauling my lifestyle). I get reminded I am not as young as I used to be, might never have the body I really want, and sometimes I just want to eat everything I crave without caring, skip the gym, and do all the luxurious lazy things I want!

But I keep going. I have no idea, at the end of the day, why I ultimately bother. So I have no real advice. Ultimately it probably comes down to the "choose your hard" someone stated above. This lifestyle makes me bummed sometimes, but loathing my body made me bummed a lot more of the time. So it goes.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do it because I'm worth it, and because I'm physically capable.
  • Nyusha21
    Nyusha21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, OP? You sound like you have none. If you have a goal to strive for, you don't have to wonder.

Also, what torture? I'm not dieting, I'm eating healthy (more or less). When I feel hungry, I eat something. So what if I'm over my cal limit? It hardly matters on the big scale. Everyone falls, but you gotta get up and carry on. That's it.

You sound depressed, tbh. Talk to your friends and family, figure out where your issue really lie.
  • Amattaway1
    Amattaway1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If the number on the scale doesn't motivate you, find something else that does. For me, having a goal is what keeps me going. Now that I am closer to my goal weight, I am finding lots of new goals to reach. It might be running xx miles without stopping, or going up in squat weight, how long you can plank, or even healthy eating challenges (see how "clean" you can eat for a day/week, try to get 100% of your nutrients, etc.). For me, it's about that accomplishment.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet, but it's been worth it for me. This is a journey, it's not my past diets. I have my ups and downs, but it's worth it.

I'm still 70+ lbs overweight which keeps me in the Obese category. Since losing almost 40 lbs, I've found that I can go shopping in my closet for clothes that were too small but too cute to get rid of. I'm more able to run around with my almost 9 year old son. Chase him around a playground, go swimming with him weather permitting, teach him to ride a bike.

I'm a Renaissance Faire Participant and I'm more able to spend the entire day in my costume. The day involves a lot of walking, talking, sometimes running to be at a show. All while wearing a corset or a bodice that should be tight enough to "hold the "girls" in place" so usually the saying is "if you can breathe, it's not tight enough".

This is not another diet for me because those end with more weight gain. I'm having to learn what to eat, what to chose, how to say no and how to say yes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I realized fairly soon into my weight loss that becoming a smaller me wasn't going to change the me inside. I'm still the same person just in a not-as-fat body. Being 120# will not change who I am, only how others treat me.

Yeah, I do think about why I'm still tracking food and eating at a (supposed) deficit. I reached most of the weight loss goals I set for myself - 100# lost, buying clothes from "normal" shops, fitting into chairs/booths. I would be fine at the weight I am now. I still get to hear from family and medical professionals about how unhealthy and fat I am and how losing more weight will fix my HBP and high cholesterol (despite having the latter 2 since I had my first blood pressure measurement).

The only reason I have to continue is it's a daily habit, like checking my email.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Rodrick.nope.gif

If it's torture then you're doing it wrong. If you're doing it just to be "skinny" or whatever...well, that doesn't really work for many people. When you realize that it's really your health and ultimately your life that is on the line...well...you start to see things a little differently.

It doesn't have to be torture...I love every second of rocking the **** out of my fitness and nutrition and knowing that I kick much *kitten* and will for many years to come....
  • kerrywhittaker1991
    Options

I've been thinking this lots today too.. I can't lose any more weight and I've worked really hard in the gym but still don't have the abdominal area I want :( except now I don't have the body and I can't have any chocolate at least before I could have treats haha
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    for me its not so much about my weight..its more I just want to be a healthier version of me. weightloss is just a bonus
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Torture, guilt? Seems like you may be approaching this from a wrong angle.

As to why it's worth it, well feeling fantastic sort of makes me happy.