Do you ever wonder, why bother?

Options

Replies

• vuco1990
    vuco1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you something.... I never had a problem with being extra overweight because I am tall ( max was like 25 lbs on my 6 feet and 4 inches over normal range). Being thiner just gives me more confidence, have more energy, better sleep... And the biggest benefit of exercise that it has on my mind. College or job can make you that you "forget" on physical activity and if this happens over longer period of time it can make you depressed ( I know it did me). You feel like a old man even if you are in your early 20`s and that is the worst feeling ever. Physical activity just makes me feel like I am 17 again and it is making me happy. For some people benefit can be number on scale, but for me is my state of mind.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I used to think that, when I was like early 40's. I had the attitude that yeah, you get older, you get fatter, you get frumpier, this is just the way it is so accept it and be happy. I didn't like dieting or exercising. Figured that was never going to change. But it did. Now I do it for health. I want to be strong so I can continue to ride my Harley. I want to preserve bone density so I don't get osteoporosis. I may never get rid of all of this middle age tummy, but it is better than it was, and just think how big it would be if I hadn't been working on it?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Being thinner is not going to bring insta-happiness. So no, that's not probably going to happen.

But if you're torturing yourself, being hungry and miserable, that sounds pretty unhappy too.

Here's my take. I don't eat anything I don't like (except this one hummus sandwich experiment-yuk). I don't ever feel guilty for eating (not even days when I eat 5-10k cal or more). I only do exercise I enjoy. None of that is torture or misery.

What I've given up? Inability to walk through a store without leaning on a cart for support. Inability to walk up the stairs. Being too weak to carry the groceries in the house. Having never gone on a bike ride with my son (who is 23). Clothes with an X in the size. Never having run a road race. Having to check the weight limits for chairs/ladders/etc.

Is it worth it to eat 1 less cookie? Or to have a salad instead a double whopper for lunch? Or to go for a run? Or a bike ride?

Absolutely. My life has completely transformed. I live a different life entirely. I have gone on a bike ride with my son. I have run road races. I wear clothes in a size 6. I fit in airplane seats.

And that's an absolutely fair trade for eating healthier most (but not all) of the time and getting some exercise.

So yes-it's worth it.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've felt that way before. It was when I was on the verge of giving up entirely, and just accepting that this is the way I was. It sucked, and I hated it. I hated wearing the same 2 pairs of pants every day because the rest didn't fit.

So for me, yes, it's going to be worth it, if only to feel better about how I look in a polo on the golf course, or at the pool, or not having to wait for the "fatty" seat on the roller coaster (or worse, not being able to ride).

Secondly, I want to give my son a better role model. He's 5 now, and I don't want to die of a coronary before he has his own kids. He'll never get to meet my father, who died when I was 20 (smoker, not weight). I want his kids to know their grandpa, and not just hear about how cool I was. =)

But finally, though the journey is hard (if it wasn't, we'd all be thin), the success stories on this site should be proof enough on how great people feel when they make it to their goal, or even make progress. I guess it'll be up to you to appreciate your body when you make it. I'm in my 40's, so I don't have any delusion of getting back to high-school weight. But if I can get to a healthy body fat number and lose my man-tits, I'll be happy with mine.

Don't feel guilty about a bad day. Kick yourself in the butt and get back on track. Keep reading the success stories on the blog for motivation. I can't wait until I can post mine.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    This is perfect timing for me to actually reflect on the very subject - so here I go!

For me it is worth it because I started this with the intention of being healthier, getting off of High Blood Pressure medication for several reasons. 1) It starts with one pill, then they add another pill to counter-act the side effects of the first pill and then one day you have a large pill caddy full of a variety pills - all for your health, 2) my copay went up this year (as it does most) and 3) the cost for prescriptions is crazy high.

Some of the side effects of that decision are:
    I feel better
    I look better to society (I go back and forth on the for myself)
    My attitude is much better
    I can enter a room and not feel like the largest person in the room
    And, many other daily positive occurrences that are a result of my weight loss.

Yet, I still wonder at times was it worth it, usually when I see how people react to me in such a positive way as opposed to before, it's like society has a grey area where you matter more, outside on either side and your worth goes way down :smile:

The thought that we will be happy when we reach our goal is a mirage, to appear for a fleeting moment only to disapear when reality sets in. Do we really know of anyone that is totally happy with their body!

Life on Life's Terms!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry.... sorry to be so negative but I really think about these things.

First, yes it's worth it and you will feel sooooooo much better. If you read some of my profile and what inspires me to stay fit and eat responsibly, you'll see part of my inspiration comes from witnessing so many of my family members being miserable because they didn't take care of themselves. So I would address your question, not, "Will I feel much better is I do" with "How much worse will I feel if I don't."

Second, the guilt of overeating. It's nothing you want to boast about but nothing to get down on yourself as long as you re-commit and re-commit. I blow it on stuff everyday. One of the short prayers I pray daily is, "God, please don't give up on me." And then I go on.

Addressing the torture: It doesn't have to be. Some people's whole life is consumed in fitness. It's an important but it's not everything. Find something you enjoy doing. My neighbor lost 49 some pounds by committing to walking every day and having a healthy normal diet, not diet in the way we think, but diet that this is the way I will for the rest of my life. My wife and adult daughters are very active. My wife plays soccer at 53 years of age. My daughters run and do cross fit. To me, that's torture. But what I do would be torture for them because they don't like Nordic Track Skiers and push ups like I do. We were created to move. That's why we have arms and legs. Just discover what you love to do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I see my aging relatives and friends, with their little plastic pill boxes full of pills to take throughout the day. With their walkers, glucose meters, canes, several Dr. visits a month, oxygen, wheelchairs, shots... I visit them in the hospital after they've had another artery opened. I listen to them complain about how hard it is to walk up one flight of stairs, or lift a 5 lb bag of sugar.

I know why I bother. I don't torture myself, but I bother for a reason.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    You think of this as a diet. I think of this as a healthy lifestyle change. Maybe that is the difference. To me, yes, a healthy lifestyle IS worth the bother.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    well you have to love yourself where you are now.. or nothing will change. like u said back then u thought u were fat. i know thats not easy. as for my personal journey..

its totally worth it!

but then again i was morbidly obese. i dont "diet". i eat whatever i want within calories. i dont watch my macros and all that. im trying (& getting there) with trying to not feel guilty over food. only good things have come from everything here.

and why torture yourself? thats negative. thats gonna bring u down. build yourself up. if its exercise that seems like torture then find something you love that will burn some calories. if its food.. try new things or healthyier options for something thats "bad" that you miss so much.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I feel better about myself at this weight/size/fitness than I did when I was bigger and less fit. Yes I would still have a fulfilling life without focusing on these goals, but I think they make me a better person and happier with myself. That is why I bother.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    I see my aging relatives and friends, with their little plastic pill boxes full of pills to take throughout the day. With their walkers, glucose meters, canes, several Dr. visits a month, oxygen, wheelchairs, shots...

This is so true. I love my dad, but man, he really let himself go, starting in his 30's. He was blessed with an incredible body but abused it. He used to play baseball with and sometimes against Mickey Mantle in the minor leagues. But to be honest, he just wanted to sit in his chair and watch tv. Now he can hardly get around. Like I said, I love my pop but abused his body so much to the point there's so many things he can no longer do and hasn't been able to do for years.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nope, it won't make you happier. But there are are a lot of positives though... I have much more energy and endurance. I don't lose my breath when I bend over. My reflux is mostly gone, same with my random stomach pains. My skin is clearer. I don't have to worry about getting a heart attack or heart disease anytime soon, or have to take cholesterol medication.

It's NOT torture though. Honestly it's what I thought too before I found this site. But I realized that I don't have to go hungry... I can still eat things I love... I have no guilt because I can still eat the things I love, and if I go over once in a while... not a big deal. If guilt is something you're worried about though, surely you're not totally ok with being 40 lbs overweight? Don't you feel bad about it too? Don't you feel bad when you go to the doctor? Seriously I didn't go for 2 years because I didn't want them to tell me that I was too fat... that's not exactly a great situation to be in either.

The biggest revelation for me is that I used to day dream about being thinner. Then one day I caught myself doing that and realized that it's not a dream anymore. No, I'll never have my dream body because I have a lot of loose skin (and if I had done this when I was only 40 lbs overweight I could have avoided it), but it's still so much better... and now I can actually wear cute clothes (I'm still a cheapskate and have only bought comfortable things so far, but yeah. I guess I could buy nicer ones).
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    I walked away from my desk and came back to all these responses! Thank you!!

I'm not really a "newbie" at weight loss and exercise. I've lost weight before and then regained it all. That really put a damper on me, the fact that I did that to myself after all my hard work and dedication. Almost four years ago and I'm still hard on myself.

Another thing is that I lost someone very close to me. It got me to start thinking about what is life really about.

I am seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist and I have been on Wellbutrin and Prozac for a number of months now. Not really sure if it's doing any good. I hate taking meds.

I do understand wanting to be healthy as I get older. I see many elderly people that are so energetic, I want to be that way at that age!

Now to start. I need to start with positive thoughts first. I have to work on getting that negativity out of my mind
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    Congratulations and I think you'll do fine. Couldn't find a LIKE button, but if there was once, I would have hit it several times.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    All of the "torture" and "guilt" just doesn't happen for me, I guess. I go at my own pace, and as long as I'm losing, no matter how slowly, I count it as progress towards my goal. I think I will be happier when I get to where I want to be, and that's not to say that I'm unhappy now but there are things I focus on about my body at this weight that I'm looking forward to not noticing anymore.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    As far as weight loss, there is a balance point. If you're healthy, then that's all you need. But, if you have high blood pressure and other problems, you might have to think about if you'd rather be making trips to the doctor and pharmacy and the expense that carries with it into old age, or if you'd rather spend that time caring for your health and spending your money and time on caring for yourself in that way. It's a trade off.

Just find the good in it.

We all die. That's non-negotiable to the point where it's not even important. It's how you live that matters.

I don't have any medical problems, just mental one's right now ;-]

I do notice that my knees hurt more and it's no fun carrying this belly around. I read all the wonderful success stories and I just feel so happy for these people. I feel motivated and inspired and then it vanishes.
  • lynneelala
    lynneelala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What I've been thinking about is how much we beat ourselves up in during the weight loss process. Until we get to the understanding that with food there is not a right or wrong, not a good or bad, not should or shouldn't, we will continue to encourage our negative self-talk. It is time to recognize that we are human. Our energy is much better spent accepting ourselves and doing some analysis about the actual circumstances in which we find ourselves. Instead of telling ourselves:

"I totally screwed up. I ate the whole carton of ice cream (or the whole bag of chips, or the entire chocolate cake, or the extra serving of dinner...). I might as well just give up and realize that I'm always going to be fat. I've been so bad, and have eaten so much, I might as well forget this whole diet thing. I'm weak, and I suck."

Really? Do you believe you deserve to be berated like that for over eating? Would you say the same to someone else if they behaved the same way you just did? Not likely. Instead of looking at it as being bad, or doing wrong, we need to look at our actions and say, wow. That is not what I meant to do. Now that it has happened let me think about a few things.

1) why did I do that? Are you eating because you're bored? Are you an emotional eater? Are you punishing yourself for something else?
    2) what made my actions possible? Is there too much junk food in the house? Are there no better choices available? Are you dipping into the kid's snacks?
    3) how can I create a different outcome in the future? Can I agree that I won't take food out of my child's mouth anymore? Can I choose different foods the next time I go grocery shopping? Can I decide not to eat unless I'm sitting at the kitchen or dining room table?
    4) what can I do differently if the circumstances repeat themselves? Was my behavior the only possible reaction to the situation? What other options did I have? Did I think about stopping but couldn’t find the strength?

You don't suck. You didn't ruin the rest of your life. Sure you didn't make the best choice, but how many people do you know who always makes the best choices? If you're honest with yourself and spend some time thinking about why you made poor choices, you may discover that you learn something deeper about yourself and your relationship with food. You might discover that you have to work a bit harder or focus a bit more to move forward with improving your food selections. You might even find out that you do have better motivations for losing weight than you knew. Introspection is a powerful tool.

Good luck in your journey.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    All of the "torture" and "guilt" just doesn't happen for me, I guess. I go at my own pace, and as long as I'm losing, no matter how slowly, I count it as progress towards my goal. I think I will be happier when I get to where I want to be, and that's not to say that I'm unhappy now but there are things I focus on about my body at this weight that I'm looking forward to not noticing anymore.

When I lost some weight a few years ago, I didn't look at it as torture. Exercising was great. I was running 5k's, I hired a personal trainer... God only knows what happened after that.