Does MFP work?

Options

Replies

• krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes it does very well keep with it! I lost 45 pounds using it however I gained half back through partying and carefree ness so loose it and maintain it that's where I went wrong so I'm back again and starting over and going to maintain this time!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Works for me! With the huge food database plus mobile phone app I can track calories very very quickly & easily. Add in my Fitbit and their website plus HRM for when I'm doing cardio and technology means I can monitor what I'm doing plus get loads of data to analyse when things slowed down. In addition friends met on MFP plus these forums provide support and advise at a time that suits me (ie I can log on when I want) so no going to classes. MFP has provided me with easy to use tools that have helped me make the lifestyle changes I needed to make.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It works the same way a gym membership works. You need to use it.
    Ps a quick flick through the Success Stories section would have given you an answer
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Been doing MFP since August, just hit 29lb lost, so yeah, it works if you put the time and effort into it, and give it time, don't quit after a few weeks
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just started two weeks ago and so far I've lost two pounds, despite the fact that I've been cheating and not really exercising. I'm now encouraged to kick it up a notch. It's great to have support from others online, and friends watching your progress. For me that really helps with motivation. So, I'm very glad that I found it and I plan on staying. I was just looking for something that would help me count calories, but instead I found so much more. :smile:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    MFP is an awesome tool. I love the freedom of counting my calories, knowing my intake, and being able to make good decisions based on that knowledge. But it is just the tool of tracking calories (and macros if you're looking at those). How you use it is going to make the difference between success or not.

I love being able to enter in my recipes and have reasonable accurate calorie counts for them and have them available for future days. Saves me time. I do think there are some good modifications they could make to this piece of it (being able to copy and edit the components short of just deleting them and readding), but overall, it's awesome.

I love how large the food database is. It doesn't take long to figure out how to tell if something is good info or mediocre or bad.

Being able to save favourite meals and foods - those are great features too.

There is a lot there. And that's just discussing the actual tool. The forums can be great as well. YMMV, since not everyone has the intestinal fortitude required for internet forums and honesty ;)
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    giphy_zps71de147b.gif

IF you use it... I lost 50 lbs using MFP a few years ago and I kept it off. Now I'm back to lose 50 more! The food diary is awesome and the app really helps for on-the-go. The support though is so much more helpful than I thought it could be. I *less than three* MFP :)
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    685 days Strong and down 106 lbs. It has been a pillar of strength. From logging food and having the encouragement from like minded folks, MFP has been a great resource in helping me succeed and become the healthier me I am today!.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes.

At least for me, yes absolutely. It has been one of the biggest tools in helping me stay in control of what I eat, how I live etc. I've been here for a little over a year and I reached my goal weight (lost 45 lbs) in less than 11 months. The food/exercise tracker is amazingly helpful, no matter what method of "tracking" or "counting calories" I've tried in the past this is by far the most accurate and most convenient. The fact that you have an enire community of people who are wanting to help support your goal and get support back is incredible, some of the people I've met here are just wonderful. The stories are inspiring and when I started to see that I was making my own success strory it almost didn't seem real at first.

If you are like many of us on MFP who enojoy being social, and have a common health goal in mind then it should be extremelly helpful for you too! :)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    This website saved my life. Full stop.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    YES.
    I was ignorant not only to the amount of calories I consumed but the fat, carbs etc. And its customizable so you can put how many cals, protein etc or mfp can configure it for you.
    Everyone on here is crazy supportive and friendly,
    It holds you accountable!! Sometimes I'll start to get junk food and first I'll scan it or look it up and say "390 cals and 18g of fat for this?? Nope not wasting my calories"
    Just COMMIT to putting in EVERYTHING you eat and aim to stay w/n your macros and calories and there is no way you wont lose weight.
    Best of luck (:
    BTW lost 50 pounds using mfp (stopped using it gained it back)
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. Like any tool, it only works if you work it...
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, if you use it properly.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I lost about 30 lbs and have kept it off for a year by logging my food and keeping myself accountable. But if you can not commit to a new lifestyle it will not work. It is not magic it is just a way to guide you. good luck!
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Counting calories does. You just gotta stick with it. Record everything, even if you go over your count. I still go over sometimes, but I've lost almost 25 on MFP.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    sometimes it loads kind of slow or there is some downtime, but for the most part, yes i think it works
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, mfp does aid very well when it comes to weight loss...as long as you put the work in. I have lost 75 lbs so far and just 2 lbs shy of my goal weight.
  • cuppycat
    cuppycat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I believe this works amazingly well. Like many others said, just track what you eat, it subtracts from your daily allowance that MFP set's for you. It's great to be able to see how much things "cost" in cals etc b4 you eat them. It's really an eyeopener. And if it's a "treat" your planning, then you just adjust your food planning accordingly. It's that simple. Measuring your foods rather than eyeballing it is a must. You might think you know how much a TBS or 1/2 cup is, but you might be surprised. My kitchen scale is my best friend. I too, pretty much plan out my day of eating then just add or delete or adjust the amounts along the way. I think you should give it a try :)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I use MFP I either lose or maintain weight.

When I stop using MFP, no matter how good my intentions, I gain weight.

It is a great way to be accountable for your habits.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    sometimes it loads kind of slow or there is some downtime, but for the most part, yes i think it works

Lol, this is true. Sometimes the app does weird thinsg too, which can be a pain.