see, b/c bless your heart is southern for "Frak you"

OOOOOO I love' bless your heart'
    I also love 'I hear that!'

The South.
    Heaven to the ears.
  • LadyLeo813
    LadyLeo813 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a receptionist at a car dealership and the salesmen stay buying food. All day, erry day. They also like to share. 99% of them are fine when I turn down their offers even though I used to accept free food left and right; they don't question my reasons so that's always cool. One of them, who ironically is the biggest of all of them, gets soooo mad when I refuse to take food he offers me, especially since we used to eat together the most. It's all "why don't you want this" "what you think there's something wrong with it" and when I try to keep it simple and just say "I'm watching what I eat" he thinks that's the stupidest thing ever. But that's the thing that's what HE thinks and that's his problem. I keep it moving. He can keep the calories.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I know that I like to decide what is worth the calories and what isn't. Don't let someone else decide that for you....he does not have to live with it. No thank you should be enough, if not the save for later and dump works too.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There's some foods that I just don't want to eat.. and I sometimes phib and say it doesn't agree with my stomach.

Lots of people are sensitive to stuff with tons of cheese or bread etc., so it works.

I genuinely get a belly ache from a lot of greasy food- So it's become easier to just say that. No one ever asks me for more info haha. "Stomach problems" and they're over it.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Free food is always going to be a thing in the office. Sometimes it's donuts in the break room. Sometimes it's meeting food. Sometimes gifts like you got. Bottom line is you're in charge of what you eat. If you can, speak up and give an opinion about what you want if it's for a meeting or if someone is ordering something for a group. If it's a gift, same type of thing. Tell the person thanks but no thanks and give the reason. Maybe they'll bring a better option next time if they still want to be nice.

I have never had a coworker go out and buy my lunch without asking if I wanted something first.

There is a huge difference between bringing something in for everyone and leaving it in the break room and bringing in specific lunches, unsolicited, for specific people. That's WEIRD.

Absolutely, totally weird. Yes.
    I'm a little creeped out just thinking about it.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Politely decline. It's not rude to want to take care of yourself, lose weight, and get healthy. If he has a problem with it, then that's just unfortunate on his part.

Our co-workers always have junk food... and EVERY Tuesday a vendor brings in FOUR-FIVE BOXES full of specialty kolaches, muffins, cinnamon rolls, etc. EVERY Tuesday! And every week, one of my office employees runs straight to the boxes, announces to the office that the food is here, and then complains for the rest of the day about wanting to lose weight.

There are two of us in here who eat mindfully, myself & another who is actually training for a bikini competition. They give us crap all of the time because we don't eat the junk they all do. We just shrug it off and tell them, that's ok, we would rather eat this than feel like crud later because we indulged in all of that. And to be truthful, I am STARVING if I eat the junk instead of what I planned to eat.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um,,, JUST DO IT!
    NO!
    NO!
    NO!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You're not being rude by not eating it. If he brought you something you're allergic to, would you eat it?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you work with a Feeder!! LOL! Seriously, just havea chat with him. Be polite and honest...something like "I didn't want to sound rude earlier and refuse your offer of that breakfast sandwich but I'd like to be honest now and tell you that I really didn't want or need it. While I really appreciate the thought, please save your money and don't bring one in for me from now on. I'm trying to get healthier and can't eat things like that anymore. Thank you!"

He may come back with questions or comments but just keep cool and don't let it get to you. This is for you - you don't really need to explain yourself anymore than that. And if he pushes, feel free to give any future food back to him or even throw it away.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Tell him u already ate and maybe someone else would like to have your meal.
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Interesting... is it really that wierd to bring food to your co-worker or co-workers? I do it all the time, healthy and un-healthy. If they say no, it's no big deal as there is always someone who will eat it, but I have never ever thought of it as wierd. I wonder if others at work think it's weird????
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Interesting... is it really that wierd to bring food to your co-worker or co-workers? I do it all the time, healthy and un-healthy. If they say no, it's no big deal as there is always someone who will eat it, but I have never ever thought of it as wierd. I wonder if others at work think it's weird????
    It's not weird to bring in, say, a plate of cookies and let them know it's available. It IS weird to go out and buy them sandwiches, chips and sodas for lunch without asking first if they want anything.

This guy didn't bring in a tray of food to share. He bought each of them individual lunches without asking if they wanted him to do so or asking what they might want.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

It's weird if you order hot food like a meal. It's not weird to bring candy or stuff that will keep.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is SOOO simple.

You're in charge of what you put in your body. No one else.

I'd have said, "No,thanks," offered no explanation (you don't have to explain your dietary choices) and put the food out where someone else could take it if they wanted it.

The end.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    "Thank you but I already ate. I'm going to save it for later." Wrap it up, put it away and toss it later in the day.

THIS!
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks, never on a weekday. My colleagues even say that to me now and don't offer.

I am NOT eating just to please someone else. It's not easy to say no to my patients when they try to make me have biccies during a home visit but I don't want one and say I've already had something thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Something like, "no thanks...just had breakfast"

It's not really hard at all.

It's totally weird to bring someone a "meal" that they didn't ask for. It's one thing to bring in some doughnuts or a plate of cookies or whatever and have them in the break-room and let everyone know that they're there for the taking. Bringing someone an actual meal individually when they didn't ask for it is weird.
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    I try really hard to not give excuses (I don't ask for them either). If I did't want the food, I would have merely said "no thank you." End of story. :smile:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Find your nearest homeless person and "donate" it. You will feel good x 2!

I like that. :smile:
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've frequently brought things or have had things (individual meals or specific drinks) brought for me. If its the norm and I want to make a change or someone else wants to make a change all that's needed is to let people know. I can't tell from your post, but is this a common thing? You say it happens all the time.

Like Bob brings sandwiches on Tuesdays and I always get the chicken club and Mary brings Chinese every Friday and she always gets me extra crab rangoon and I bring Sonic for everyone on Monday. If I decide to go paleo and want Bob to bring just the meat and veggies from now on, all I have to do is say something. He won't mind ordering it that way, but it would be rude of me to go off on him for something I didn't even tell him about. I've always worked in smaller groups/offices and this kind of stuff is the norm around here.

You say he does this all the time for you and your co-workers. If you've always appreciated it in the past and he doesn't know about your new dietary changes, you really should have let him know. Since you ate it and it doesn't sound like you said anything, then he'll continue to bring things and its on you. It doesn't seem like from your post that he would have had any inkling then or now that you wouldn't have wanted it, so it will happen again.

If you're not complaining so much about him specifically, but the feeling life is conspiring against you and you want more how do you stay on track/what would you have done type of advice, well....

If I wanted to eat it, I would have eaten it. If I wanted to save it for later, I would have saved it. If I ate it, I would have adjusted my day or week somewhat to better accommodate it within reason. Nope, no hours of cardio to accommodate. At worst, it would put me around maintenance for one single day. One breakfast sandwich is chump change in the grand scheme of things. Whether I ate it then or not, I would tell him and anyone else it might matter to, what I wanted in the future. If I still wanted to be included but with healthier fare, I'd say so. If I wanted to just be left off the list I would politely say so. If you want people to support you in your en devour, you have to let them know what it is you are trying to accomplish. :flowerforyou:

At some point I would have eaten it though as it sounds delicious. :tongue: