Help Figuring out Calories

Options
I am 28 years old. 5'4" and what you would call "skinny fat" weighing in at about 113.6lbs on a pretty regular basis. If it matters, I have two boys ages 7 and 4. I was a stick before kids. I am still pretty skinny, but gained a little weight in my mid section within the last year or so (I lost all my baby weight before that).

I have been doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for almost 6 weeks, and I am honestly not seeing much change. The first week or two, I thought I saw my stomach getting smaller, but lately I'm noticing there isn't much of a change, and the change I thought I saw, was possibly just in my head.

I have been aiming for about 1200 calories a day and doing the videos 6 days a week. The cardio days are intense, and I'm sweating like a pig by the time I'm done. The other days, I sweat, but nothing like the cardio days. Maybe I need more cardio? Maybe I'm eating too many or too little calories? Can anyone help me figure out where I should be for my calorie intake? I'm at a loss and have no idea how to figure this out for my own personal goals.

My goal? To lose the little bit of fat on my stomach and my love handles, and tone up. Of course, I'll have to lose to weight to get rid of the fat, but in the end, my goal weight is maybe 115, which is almost 2 pounds more than I weigh now. Please help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am 28 years old. 5'4" and what you would call "skinny fat" weighing in at about 113.6lbs on a pretty regular basis. If it matters, I have two boys ages 7 and 4. I was a stick before kids. I am still pretty skinny, but gained a little weight in my mid section within the last year or so (I lost all my baby weight before that).

I have been doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for almost 6 weeks, and I am honestly not seeing much change. The first week or two, I thought I saw my stomach getting smaller, but lately I'm noticing there isn't much of a change, and the change I thought I saw, was possibly just in my head.

I have been aiming for about 1200 calories a day and doing the videos 6 days a week. The cardio days are intense, and I'm sweating like a pig by the time I'm done. The other days, I sweat, but nothing like the cardio days. Maybe I need more cardio? Maybe I'm eating too many or too little calories? Can anyone help me figure out where I should be for my calorie intake? I'm at a loss and have no idea how to figure this out for my own personal goals.

My goal? To lose the little bit of fat on my stomach and my love handles, and tone up. Of course, I'll have to lose to weight to get rid of the fat, but in the end, my goal weight is maybe 115, which is almost 2 pounds more than I weigh now. Please help!

To lose a little bit of weight....set your MFP goal to 1/2 pound per week. Smaller people can't lose weight quickly

To lose fat & keep muscle........
    1. Do strength training
    2. Eat losts of protein
    3. FUEL your workouts

Ditch most of the cardio. Do enough cardio (think fitness) to keep your heart strong. Eat more calories....MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE any exercise.....you are currently making the deficit bigger (kind of like working out to lose even more muscle).

TDEE includes exercise.....look up your stats.....eat less than TDEE ....more than BMR

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Momof2boys2009
    Options
    To lose a little bit of weight....set your MFP goal to 1/2 pound per week. Smaller people can't lose weight quickly

1. Do strength training
    2. Eat losts of protein
    3. FUEL your workouts

Ditch most of the cardio. Do enough cardio (think fitness) to keep your heart strong. Eat more calories....MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE any exercise.....you are currently making the deficit bigger (kind of like working out to lose even more muscle).

TDEE includes exercise.....look up your stats.....eat less than TDEE ....more than BMR

There is strength training 4 days a week with the Body Revolution (using weights and body weight in most of the exercises). Cardio is only 2 days a week, does this seem like what I should be doing?

According to the calculator you gave me, my BMR is 1313, and TDEE is 1805. What would you say is a good number to aim for with my calorie intake?

I put my activity as 1-3 hours of light activity, should I have included my daily workouts in this? If so, I would bump it up to 3-5 hours of moderate exercise and this would raise my TDEE to 2035.

I really appreciate the help!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1. Do strength training
    2. Eat losts of protein
    3. FUEL your workouts

There is strength training 4 days a week with the Body Revolution (using weights and body weight in most of the exercises). Cardio is only 2 days a week, does this seem like what I should be doing?

According to the calculator you gave me, my BMR is 1313, and TDEE is 1805. What would you say is a good number to aim for with my calorie intake?

I put my activity as 1-3 hours of light activity, should I have included my daily workouts in this? If so, I would bump it up to 3-5 hours of moderate exercise and this would raise my TDEE to 2035.

I really appreciate the help!!

To lose 1/2 pound a week (slow weight loss will help you retain more muscle) ....subtract 250 calories from your TDEE......so between 1555 and 1785 is a good place. Because this TDEE includes exercise.....you don't have to worry about eating calories back (that's MFP's method).

To "guage" the calories you need.....pick one of the numbers above (1555-1785) and see how your weight loss progresses. If you are feeling fatigued (run down).....you are not eating enough.

Parts of Body Revolution are circuit training (cardio+weights)....but yes, more weights, less cardio
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/jillian-michaels-body-revolution-phase-1-9196
  • Momof2boys2009
    Options
    To lose 1/2 pound a week (slow weight loss will help you retain more muscle) ....subtract 250 calories from your TDEE......so between 1555 and 1785 is a good place. Because this TDEE includes exercise.....you don't have to worry about eating calories back (that's MFP's method).

To "guage" the calories you need.....pick one of the numbers above (1555-1785) and see how your weight loss progresses. If you are feeling fatigued (run down).....you are not eating enough.

Parts of Body Revolution are circuit training (cardio+weights)....but yes, more weights, less cardio
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/jillian-michaels-body-revolution-phase-1-9196

1555 calories actually seems like a lot to me, haha. I like to snack throughout the day, but I think I might actually struggle to get to over 1500 calories a day. Maybe that's been my problem all along? One last question, should I be using smaller or larger weights with my strength training? I've been using 2lb and 3lb weights, since I was a weakling when I started. If I increase these, will I see results faster? Thanks again!