Do you stop eating after a certain time?

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Many different opinions about this here. I recently read about a small study that showed, generally thin people tend to stop eating by 8 PM. I have a major problem eating at night so I have recently stopped eating at 8. So far I do not see any difference.

I would suggest that this is probably because the people who eat later (a) eat high calorie snack food and (b) go over on their calorie requirements. If you are counting calories and staying in a deficit, meal (or snack) timing means virtually nothing.

^^ Absolutely agree!!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    After years and years of working shifts I have concluded that my body has no idea what time it is.
    I have been known to take a snack to bed with me (ha ha ha if a certain someone knew I eat in bed he'd lose his mind - crumbs, he hates them)
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    My nutritionist suggested to not eat after 8:00 pm since I’m less active at that time. She said whatever I take in will only store as fat. If I am hungry I’ll have an herbal tea, with some honey. That has worked for me thus far.

That's a load of bull... how on earth does your body know what time it is? Is your nutritionist suggesting that if I eat a cracker at 7:59pm that it will be processed properly, but, not if I eat that same cracker at 8:01? How would that be?
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    When I'm done with dinner, I'm done with eating for the day. I don't often get hungry after that anyway, but over the years I've found I sleep best when I haven't eaten for several hours. If I eat an hour to two hours before bed I tend to feel crappy. So for me, I do it because I physically feel better, not because it may be better for one to do that. It works for me.
  • Resanzo
    Resanzo Posts: 10 Member
    My nutritionist suggested to not eat after 8:00 pm since I’m less active at that time. She said whatever I take in will only store as fat. If I am hungry I’ll have an herbal tea, with some honey. That has worked for me thus far.

That's a load of bull... how on earth does your body know what time it is? Is your nutritionist suggesting that if I eat a cracker at 7:59pm that it will be processed properly, but, not if I eat that same cracker at 8:01? How would that be?

If you're interested... http://www.livestrong.com/article/454480-how-many-hours-before-bed-should-you-stop-eating-for-healthy-digestion/
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    No, not anymore. I hate going to bed hungry! Although, I do eat less at night as it gets late because otherwise I wake up bloated and uncomfortable.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I make sure to stop eating before I fall asleep... that's dangerous and could be messy. I eat the bulk of my calories at the end of the day right before I go to sleep followed by ice cream or some other kind of treat that I eat in bed while watching tv.... don't think it's stopping my weight loss.

As someone said before KEEP IT SIMPLE stop over complicating this.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    I usually stop eating after dinner, which is 5:30-6:30PM on most nights. Since I go to bed fairly early, normally around 9:00PM, I find it's best not to add too much on top of dinner, because that's my largest meal of the day and nothing is more uncomfortable than trying to sleep with an overstuffed gut.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

If you're interested... http://www.livestrong.com/article/454480-how-many-hours-before-bed-should-you-stop-eating-for-healthy-digestion/

This is talking about digestion, not storing fat. If you are in a deficit of energy position, you cannot really store fat...because you are catabolic...you cannot be catabolic and anabolic at the same time...you cannot get fat in an energy deficit...it is scientifically and mathematically impossible.
  • My trainer advised me to try and not eat past 7:00pm. I think it's been helpful for me. If I am dying for something late at night, I will usually have some tea or something.
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    As long as you have time to digest it before you go to sleep it's fine. You don't really burn fat while you're sleeping.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    All I know is that I had some of the best body composition in my life while working a night shift- so my BREAKFAST was at 7 PM, lunch at midnight, and dinner in the morning.

You may find certain behviors work for you, but that will likely be a result of your own personal cycles rather than anything clock related.
  • I eat whenever I want, it hasn't changed the way my body looks or my weight loss.

Granted, I don't go and taken down a steak dinner with mashed potatoes at like 11pm, by eat whenever I want I mean, I'll have a granola bar or something before bed to curb my sweet craving but that's it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I stop eating at the time I turn out the lights and my head hits the pillow.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member

This is talking about digestion, not storing fat. If you are in a deficit of energy position, you cannot really store fat...because you are catabolic...you cannot be catabolic and anabolic at the same time...you cannot get fat in an energy deficit...it is scientifically and mathematically impossible.

You said what I was going to say... but a lot more eloquently :love: :flowerforyou:
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    It's a personal choice, sometimes when that tummy rumbles it has to be fed. Just try to stay within your calorie goal.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    All I know is that I had some of the best body composition in my life while working a night shift- so my BREAKFAST was at 7 PM, lunch at midnight, and dinner in the morning.

I was always looking for a glass of wine after my night shifts (medicinal obviously, to help me sleep) you'd be amazed how difficult it is to get suggestions about what wine works best with a MacDonalds breakfast.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    I eat whenever I want to eat.
  • I dont eat after 9-10pm and do not eat my first meal until about 1:30PM post workout/ post cardio.

before working out I take 10g BCAA, Glutamine, C4 PWO.

Immediately after working out Ill have a protein shake, creatine, 1 pak Animal Pak multivitamin and then my full meal.