A big girl with a long way to go...

Options

Replies

• girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, you've made a great step coming here, and by publicly declaring what you want to do. I know how hard it is, I don't tell anyone my weight other than on here and at various weight loss meetings I've been at over the years. It's tough getting started, but it does get easier. Please feel free too add me, I started at 256lbs, but I'm short, so also needed to lose half my body weight. It's a scary thought. I have lost 35 lbs so far (I was doing ww with varying success before coming on here since may 2012). I know you can do it, believe in yourself, and definitely do it for you, please learn to love yourself. Just start by thinking about one thing that's great about you! If you would like to add me you're very welcome. Good luck :-)
  • whatsername182
    whatsername182 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Im 16 and I've been overweight my entire life. I'm looking to lose 1-2 lbs (maybe more as I go on) a week too! Proud of you for taking the first step to better health, I know its not easy! Lots of support here if you want to be friends!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I agree with the small goals. If you are looking to lose 150 it is going to take a while and while losing 3-5 pounds in a month is good progress it may seem like nothing when you are looking at the big picture and thinking that it will take forever and get discouraged. I have done this myself and I only needed to lose about 60 pounds total. I would lose a pound or two, then not lose any for a week or 2 and get discouraged and get off track. Last month I set a goal to lose 7 pounds by my GF's b-day in March and I have already met that as well as losing 4-5 more on top of that and that makes me workout even harder and eat better because I am seeing results. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want, I am no expert but do know a little about nutrition and exercise. Also, at first you will likely see some pretty rapid weight loss, then it will slow down and some weeks you may see nothing or even a pound or 2 gained. Don't worry with that and just stay on track, our bodies do this sometimes and it is out of our control. My weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in just a day or 2 sometimes. Also, walking 5 miles to and from work is pretty impressive. Thats a great way to get in some exercise as well as saving gas money so I say anytime you can do that would be great.
  • Ruth4111gut
    Ruth4111gut Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you like. Have a great day and best of luck on your journey.
  • ShelleyTurgeon
    ShelleyTurgeon Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We are all rootin for ya! We all have the same goal in mind... to get healthy! Add me and I'll help any way I can!
  • misswoo999
    Options
    HI i am in the same boat as you as started at 331lb and at 5,2 need to lose heck of a lot but i not going to diet i going to eat healthier
    and i got a step meter wore in 4 a normal day now try and at least to twice a normal days steps i find being so big most exercise
    to much strain on my joints and so far so good if you want to add me as a friend please do so good luck on the new you x
  • Liljopeep64
    Options
    First of all let me say you are very lucky to have a very supportive partner. Me too. My Dear husband needs to lose weight too. So he is willing to make changes too. For the reading I am doing processed foods are bad for weight gain. I used to do alot of cooking with no processed things, that has been my downfall for the last 10 years. I look forward to chatting and we can be weight lose buddies. Sincerely Jo
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request. In the same long journey!
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I know that hopeless feeling, when I saw I need to lose over 100 lbs I felt like it was impossible. I started at 276', 5'7". Now, I have my first goal set to lose 116 which would put me at 160, which for my height is still technically a bit overweight. Ideally my end goal will probably be 140-150 I'm guessing, which puts my loss up to 136lbs, which is almost exactly half my weight so I'm in the same boat as you.

If it helps you can try setting smaller goals so it doesn't seem so daunting, but it's honestly a lot easier than I thought it would be once I understood how counting calories works, and that I can still have the "less healthy" foods in moderation, in the past I've given up from feeling like they were bad and I couldn't have them. This time around I make room for them on a regular basis but eat healthier than I used to the majority of the time. I've gotten a much healthier relationship with food, I thought it'd be impossible to quit binge eating and now I stop when I'm full and don't eat just because I'm bored. What I'm trying to say is it's all about the mindset. I eat how I imagine I'll eat when I've lost the weight, eventually it just clicks and makes sense so I hope that happens for you as well. You don't need to deprive yourself. You don't need to starve yourself. Hell, you technically don't even have to exercise if you didn't want to by doing this method.

Feel free to add me, and best of luck to you. Try to log in regularly and log your food no matter what even if you go over for a month. By then it will become habit.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I think you have to start to LOVE yourself before you can make this change. It makes all the difference in the world.
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    GO GIRL! you CAN DO IT!!! its not easy but you have to start some where & this is a great start! Believe in yourself!!
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Good luck Jen! That is a big goal, but just think every pound or cm lost is an achievement in itself and will make you happier and healthier :-)

I don't think it matters how much you have to lose everyone faces the same challenges and i know you will get plenty of support here to keep on going!

This!

Good luck with your weight loss, you can do it :D
  • Heathr_WhoLuvzDave
    Options
    I struggled with the loving myself bit too. I reminded myself I'm smart, have pretty eyes & so much potential. Slowly I started noticing a curve here or less of me there; you get the idea. Start small. I have a way to go but I know it's worth it. If be happy to support you :)
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen! You have found a truly supportive community here. I started out at 322 lbs which sends a shiver up my spine every time I think it. I am currently over halfway to my ultimate goal and am addicted to running. Never thought I'd be able to do it. Not really mentally - I always wanted to - just never thought I could physically. I had pretty severe asthma (exercise induced of course), knee problems, back issues and the list goes on. Now I have to work myself really damn hard to even come close to an asthma attack and everything else is sorting itself out as I get healthier. It's really hard to do alone though. Which is why I'm so glad I found all these wonderful peeps! :)
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    I started bigger then you and I am currently where you are now. I have found for me starting slow really helped esp with food. I thought I could never eat less and still be full. 8 months into it and I am now under 2000 calories per day and still feel full.

It is going to be hard work but I PROMISE so worth the effort.

The thing I wish I would have done when I first started was get a starting weight and measurements. That way when the scale does not move but I loose an inch it is still a good week.

I have sent you a friend request. You can do it!!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You can do this put your mind to it!! I started at 330pds! Eat better and exercise and it will come off! Good luck!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Good day to you Jen. I'm Kevin and I have 150 pounds to lose. I am a former firefighter and police officer. My public service career ended about 18 years ago when I was working as a paramedic and got struck by a car and lost my left leg. I have been slowly taking off the pounds little bits at a time and I want you to know that if it is in your heart and soul to lose the weight, YOU WILL DO IT. I will gladly join you in your journey to better health young lady. Stay strong and stay in touch! :flowerforyou:
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen You can do this. Dont look at your ultimate goal - set yourself small targets along the way then you wont get too depressed thinking of the long haul.

^^this

The only way I found to stay motivated was to only look to the next 10 lbs. If I thought about the total I needed to lose, I usually just gave up. Once I broke it up into manageable chunks, it was so much easier.

Always remember that the time is going to pass anyway (a week, a month, a year), and you can either be losing slowly but surely, or gaining. It really is that simple.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!!

Bolded bit for the win. This is what keeps me going ...
  • Kimberlaw01
    Kimberlaw01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Jen!! I am new as well and have a huge amount to lose, too. I need to lose a cool 200 pounds! You know what's worse than having to lose 200? Have to lose 201. That's it. You and I WILL do this!! :)
  • mbharper14
    Options
    You can do this!!! Added :)