5k Training Help!

Options
My friend and I are doing the Color Run on July 19th. I am definitely not a runner... not even a jogger. I was wondering if anyone could help me develop a training plan. Honestly, I think I could probably jog 30 seconds (yes, it's that bad).
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kmentzer1
    Options
    Try Couch to 5k - it's great! You can download it right to your phone. The program is 3 training days per week which consist of walk/run intervals that slowly build up your endurance. If you have trouble with any of the days you can repeat them as needed until you can comfortably move on. Good luck!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K (Couch to 5k). I bet I couldn't even make it 30 seconds when I first started. I'm currently training for my first 10K and LOVE running.

Another little note, I've heard that so many people do the color run and just walk it for fun that if you're a slower runner, you'll probably be dodging around a lot of people and you'll have to pause/stop if you want to get more color. I think a color run would be fun but wouldn't be too worried about running it. If you want to run a full 5K, I'd definitely do another one, there's nothing saying you can't do two. :wink:
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    C25K is great and that's how I started. However, I have decided that I prefer the run-walk-run method. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ I run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes...and am doing my first 10K on March 1st.

Start with the C25K. On your rest days, do the elliptical and continue to build your endurance.

All you have to do is get started!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    You have plenty of time to do the coach to 5K training plan. Take your time, follow the plan, and you'll see great improvement in your jogging pace and distance.

As for the Color Run 5K I would classify it as a "fun run" where many will be doing it just for the enjoyment, walk the whole route, and not caring about their finish time. I'm not even sure Color Runs publish/record your run time. Enjoy the festivities, jog as much of it as you can, take before and after pictures, and celebrate the accomplishment.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to do the coach to 5K training plan. Take your time, follow the plan, and you'll see great improvement in your jogging pace and distance.

As for the Color Run 5K I would classify it as a "fun run" where many will be doing it just for the enjoyment, walk the whole route, and not caring about their finish time. I'm not even sure Color Runs publish/record your run time. Enjoy the festivities, jog as much of it as you can, take before and after pictures, and celebrate the accomplishment.

That is a good point. The Color Runs do not record your time for you, but you could always monitor that yourself if you have a HRM or Stopwatch or something. It may not be 100% but it'll be close.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started walking and then found a android / google game called Ingress, see ingress.com. That really upped my walking to the point that I started running short bursts. I started to enjoy running so much that I just run now. I run 6 miles most days and walk in the evenings. I am looking to run my first 5K and then will try for the 10K.. Start very slow but keep moving forward. You can do it! I also use fitbit and runtastic apps along with an aria scale. Everything syncs so you don't need to keep a log or journal. Very easy to check your progress.
  • shscruggs82
    Options
    Ive been doing the couch2 5k, started out barely running 1 minute without feeling awful, now I can run 25 minuntes on week 7, I am doing a 5k in march and am a little concerned that Ive only run half of that, I still dont love running, but I feel badly if I dont do it, and I figure it takes 30 minutes out of my day, Its still not easy to run 25 minutes, Im wondering when it starts to feel easier..but Im continuing on.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K.
  • nerfherder83
    nerfherder83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Run last year (see: profile pic)… it's definitely a no-pressue run. The majority of people walked. I saw one guy that was obviously a serious runner, but everyone else just walked it with the occasional shuffle-jog. I was actually a bit disappointed because I saw people cutting across the course on numerous occasions. :\ I had my Runkeeper going, and the course wasn't even a full 5K - I think it was just under 2.9mi.

Color Run Tips: Bring extra towels and/or t-shirts and leave them in your car so you won't stain your seats when you get in the car. They can "blow the color off" you when you're done with the race, but anywhere you've sweat - skin or clothes - the color will stain for a couple washes. Also bring a jug of water in your car so you can at least wash your hands off. They had porta-sinks at my run (Dodgers Stadium), but EVERYONE was using them to wash the color off their hands so the water ran out pretty quick.

Try C25K. I personally didn't like it and instead just improved my jogging on my own (like you, i couldn't jog more than 30 seconds), but a ton of people swear by it. :)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    couch to 5 k plans are great. I went from zero to 5 k on my own. I started by running telephone pole to telephone pole, walking and running every other one. When I got too tired I would walk the rest as fast as I could. Then I got up to being able to run a straight mile and walk two, run two miles and walk one, etc.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have not used the couch to 5k or C25K (correct name?). One method I do like doing is running for a few minutes and then walking for a min for the duration of the distance. That is a nice way to build up. If those programs have that, then I apologize for saying it twice.

Good luck. It is a fun run. As someone mentioned before, so many people walk this run or jog slowly. Kind of a fun way to get started.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are various apps that you can download to your smartphone for couch-to-5k programs. I use Endomondo, which I have set to sync to MFP; the app itself is just a run/walk/bike/whatever-cardio tracker, but it has Training Plans you can use (might cost you a little bit) for C25K. Other C25K apps are likely free; it's just a matter of finding what works best for you.
  • tlaurenw
    Options
    A little update... I jogged for a total of ten minutes on the treadmill today. That's jogging, then walking, and so on. I was pretty proud of myself even though that's barely anything to most people :p I think I'm going to try the couch to 5k app!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A "color run" is not the run you want to attempt at running the entire duration (you probably won't be able to). Imagine trying to jog through a 3 mile long Wal-Mart fire lane, and add people throwing crap in your face.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Our Color Run is on August also my 1st 5K & I love the C25K app! Good luck!
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm also thinking of doing my 1st 5k. It's not until the end of May so I have plenty of time to train.

My question is: If I'm doing most of my training on a treadmill, what should my speed be? I can already go 15 min or so with the treadmill set at 5.0 or 5.2 mph. I usually go 2-2.5 miles on the treadmill but the first & last 5 min I'm walking at 4mph for warm-up/cool-down.

Any tips on training would be appreciated!