how many people have gained weight?

Options
I have spoken to some people I know that have problems gaining weight. I always mention this site. I would really like to know can you really gain weight by using this site and if so what is the most do you know of?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sure gaining weight is easy. You just need to eat more calories than you burn.

Most people use this site to manage calories so weight gain is controlled. This can help prevent excessive fat gain.

Tracking calories and protein, fat and carbs is very helpful for that.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I know people who have tried eating more without any weight gain.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Gaining wait is easy for many people.....when the weight gain is fat. But for most people, gaining a significant amount of muscle is one of if not the most difficult fitness goal, one can have. Certainly more so than losing weight...this site will help keep you accountable by providing a food log app, but you will need to garner some knowledge and research on your own to insure that you are in the best possible anabolic state. For hard gainers, that could mean adding a few hundred extra calories. But many people are underestimating their individual protein and carb and fat needs. Also it is smart protocol to include a fast acting protein/carb source within 45 minutes of finishing your workout, to help flush those nutrients to your muscles quicker and also help replenish lost glycogen stores.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

They need to eat EVEN MORE!
    I am talking more as in more calories. Doubling up on broccoli is not going to help much..
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I should have said how you gain weight is simple but the actual amount that you have to eat might be harder to figure out and is like hitting a moving target sometimes. :smile:

There are lots of people that think they eat more calories than they actually do just the same as there are people that think they eat less than they actually do.

If you are not gaining weight then you are just not eating enough. Have them weight and measure all their food for a couple weeks and see exactly how many calories they take in.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Fat weight Easy

muscle weight HARD
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    I know that I have been eating around 3k calories for a while without lifting, to no avail. Once I started picking up heavy things (and squatting regularly) I began to put on mass, quickly.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I am talking more as in more calories. Doubling up on broccoli is not going to help much..

^^^ this

to gain weight you need to eat more than you burn off. If they're not gaining weight, they're not eating more than they're burning off.

Weight gain can be really hard, it depends on the person's appetite... just as some people struggle to lose weight because they still feel hungry even after they've eaten enough.............. some people feel full after eating a certain amount and forcing themselves to eat more just makes them feel nauseous. So yeah, it can be really hard to gain weight. They need to focus on foods that have a high calorie density, so they can get in more calories before they feel full. As the person above says, doubling up on broccoli isn't going to work.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    As the person above says, doubling up on broccoli isn't going to work.

Unless you start dunking it in peanut butter :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Or coating it in molten cheese with crisped bacon on top...

Mmmmm, bacon! :bigsmile:
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    When I started this, I was at 140-142...now I'm at 154, 3000 cals a day 150 gm protein. It's hard, I've gotten up to 160 for a short time, but if I miss one meal I lose 1-3 lbs, if I lose sleep I lose 4 lbs (thats a whole night with activity).
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to muscle gain im just trying to gain, and its working for me cos i set myself a cal goal (and as said above you need to eat more than you burn off).
  • jda54669
    jda54669 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in 30 weeks on 1850 calories and got my weight down to 156lbs. Around Dec 2nd I started working out (weights and a little cardio) and started a bulk on 2600 calories. By Dec 31st I was at 161lbs, today I weighed in at 161lbs. I'm finding it difficult to do.

After reviewing my data I see I'm averaging 2550, so I think I'll up my target to 2700 to see what happens. If I added in 1 TBS of PB, a serving of raw almonds, and a half cup of cottage cheese every day, that would add 355 calories. More than enough!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    well, I've gained 70 lbs and ended up at a significantly lower body fat %, so yeah...eating more and lifting weights helps.
  • krapanos
    krapanos Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Exactly! More calorie-dense foods. Instead of eating cucumber (5 cal per 30g), have some avocado (48 cal per 30 g). Also try nut butters, cheese, full fat milk and yogurt, extra bread...

My 'cheater' calorific food is Ensure or Boost Plus Calories. (I have inflammatory bowel disease so I often have to supplement with these anyhow) 355 caloriers packed into 237ml. Not the greatest tasting, but I wouldn't be able to meet my daily calorie goal without the extra "boost", lol!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Then they were not eating a surplus of their calorie requirements. These calculators are just good starting points...for many, many, many people, there really won't have to be a whole lot of tweaking involved...for many, many, many others, they will fall outside of the statistical norms used by these calculators to estimate a specific caloric intake for a particular individual. i.e. someone may have a slower or faster metabolism than what would fall under these statistical norms.

Also, some people may have to adjust their activity down a bit to really make it work. I used to be skinny as a rail and ate like a horse...everyone used to comment on how I could just eat and eat and eat and eat without gaining weight...it drove me crazy and I tried and tried and tried to gain weight. What I didn't understand at the time was that I was incredibly active at that time...training for sport, and then just generally really active to boot...with all of my activity, even though I was eating anything and everything I wanted, I had a hard time just maintaining let alone gaining weight. It wasn't until I pulled back (accidentally) on my activity that I started to put on a little weight. Of course, that ultimately turned into me blowing up into a big old fat *kitten*...so careful with that...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have spoken to some people I know that have problems gaining weight. I always mention this site. I would really like to know can you really gain weight by using this site and if so what is the most do you know of?

Works the same as losing weight ... you track your calories and try and go over .. site can be set up that way also .... so just use the site first and then ask?

I purposely gained 35lbbs during a bulking phase not sure about others.
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Or coating it in molten cheese with crisped bacon on top...

Mmmmm, bacon! :bigsmile:

OK, I just gained half a pound reading that! :flowerforyou:
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use it (I'm anorexic) and it helped me to be more aware of exactly how much I'm really eating, versus how much I think I'm eating (turns out there was a huge difference).
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thx finally an answer other then just eat more.