Trying to eat more vegetables!

Options
2»

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    personally eat them as fillers... so I'll have some bagged salad greens hey 10 calories a cup! I use White Corn and Black Bean Salsa as the dressing, VERY low calorie and really adds to the greens.

I use diced tomatoes (canned no salt added) frozen green beans (serving or two) mix and heat, add spices you like I go with Italian super low calories, taste great and fills you up.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Roast 'em.

Cut any fresh vegetable you are willing to try into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, spread single layer on a baking pan, sprinkle with salt and bake at 425 until you start to see browning - the actual time will vary by vegetable, but it will generally be about 15 for typical green veg, 30-40 for starchy veg, like potatoes or parsnips, somewhere in between for anything else.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are so yummy and there are so many different combinations. Some of my favorites are green beans, carrots, cauliflower, asparagus and broccoli.

Grilled eggplant and zucchini are my spring/summer time favorites.
  • lly123
    lly123 Posts: 10
    Options
    I keep a big ziplock bag of washed, finely chopped greens (kale, chard, spinach) in my freezer. Then I add a handful of frozen greens to almost everything I cook: pasta, soup, crockpot meals, taco meat, burrito fillings, chili, other veggie dishes, etc. It's not noticeable (looks like parsley or herbs in most dishes and you can't taste it), so it's a great way to add "green vitamins" to almost any meal. And a good way to sneak some extra veggies into your kids, too.. :-)
  • I try to add extra veggies to whatever recipe I make. Bok Choy is awesome added to soups, so is baby spinach. I make alot of pureed veggie soups using fat free low sodium chicken or vegetable broth. Very low in cals and makes a nice meal or snack. I also slice and fry fresh tomatoes until they get nice and carmelized they are great with eggs or spread on bread. Sliced cucumbers with vinegar is delish.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies are delicious. Cut bit size if necessary and roast in a hot oven, say 200C fan assisted. Coat the veggies with olive oil first (use a sprayer if you want to minimize oil use) but tossing in a plastic bag with a little oil works too.

Asparagus, Snow Peas (Mange Touts), Green Beans: 10-12 minutes
    Courgette (Zucchini): 15 minutes
    Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots: 20-30 minutes

Google roast vegetables for cooking times of other veg. Peppers, Aubergine (Eggplant), Fennel, Tomatoes all work well too.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Soups are a great way to get your veg and calorie friendly just watch the sodium with soup stocks buy the low sodium ones
  • measem1
    measem1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Canned vegetables loose something in the process...I prefer either frozen or fresh(especially in season)..These have the most flavor...Frozen vegetables make good soups...Also fresh is better for you since you get all the vitamins...I like to steam my vegetables. I have a spaghetti sauce recipe that my nieces and nephews like which is loaded with fresh vegetables. But when they eat with me I sneak the vegetables in burgers, spaghetti, and other dishes...just dice them small..