People At The Gym Don't Count Calories

Options

Replies

• 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im in the gym six days a week two hours at a time and I count calories.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just mean they're not counting them religiously and logging everything they eat. Maybe they just kind of watch what they eat in general?

I don't know, just my two cents.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym about 5 weeks ago and I have been meeting people along the way. I always ask if they count calories and not a single person has said yes so far.

I am not comfortable enough to ask them why not- but I wonder about it. Why are WE all counting calories yet the gym regulars not even worried about it?

the one's you asked do they have the body you envy or at least aim to be or not.....my experience... when im at the gym, i sometimes watch people between sets.... you can spot straight away the people who you think count macros or not and the ones they know what they're doing, THEY ARE USUALLY THE ONES who keeps to themselves, ipod on ear, logbook and pen handy, moves to one equipment to another in a short period of time, etc. doesnt chat for minutes each set and they are usually the ones who are SHREDDED.... on the other hand the people on the opposite end of that spectrum are usually the ones who doesnt count their macros, lift very heavy with bad form, talks longer between sets.....
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you are asking people who are already in shape then that could be why.
    They are only maintaining their weight and getting stronger so they are not as worried about calories as those who are losing weight do.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Worry about you, and not them. When you get those fantastic dramatic results, they will be asking you why they did not count calories. Sweet revenge on your part. I count all of my calories with my mouth calculator.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do and all my friends that go to the same gym do as well. My personal trainer actually told me today to get the MFP app, and I proudly told her I already have it and log religiously!
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are counting 'points' like in WW or like I was given at first by a trainer. Carbs/Fruits/Veg/Dairy/Fat/Protein adjusted to points or portions allowed in a daily intake. WW have veggies / fruit as free so they are not really counting calories either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym about 5 weeks ago and I have been meeting people along the way. I always ask if they count calories and not a single person has said yes so far.

I am not comfortable enough to ask them why not- but I wonder about it. Why are WE all counting calories yet the gym regulars not even worried about it?

I'm not really getting the issue.

We on MFP are counting calories, in most cases to lose, or maintain weight at lost level. Some of us also go to gyms.

People at the gym who are not counting calories:
    - are not trying to lose weight
    - are trying to lose weight by another method (which will work fine if it is a calorie deficit, not neccesarily by counting)

My son goes to the gym several times a week. He is not counting calories nor trying to lose weight - since he isn't over weight in the first place.
    he is trying to keep fit and build/maintain muscle - he does play sport so the gym is part of his sporty lifestyle.

What is the problem again?
  • TP2323
    TP2323 Posts: 32
    Options

Who cares if they do or don't? If it works for you, isn't that what matters?

A wise person once said to me, "Worry about yourself." It was good advice.

That's the thing. I WAS losing weight by doing at home exercises and counting but now that I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week, I stopped losing weight. I've been the same weight for 3 weeks since I first weighed myself there. So I was just wondering what was going on.
  • TP2323
    TP2323 Posts: 32
    Options
    That makes sense to me. Being at the gym isn't about weight loss, it's about a lifestyle of sports and activities and weight training. Makes perfect sense!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and I count calories…

Also, just because you talked to "some" people at the gym does not mean you have talked to them all. how do you know the people that you did not talk to, are not counting calories?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I use MFP, I don't go to the gym, and I don't count calories.

tumblr_mob58hwzxp1rnikqmo1_250.gif
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When I don't count calories, I eat M&Ms all day without restraint.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

My initial response is that, just because they're at the gym, that doesn't mean they have a full spectrum approach involving both diet and exercise. Similarly, we have people here on MFP who are willing to count calories, but don't really want to do much exercise.

But it could be more complex. They may have grown up in or grown into a lifestyle that lessens their need to actively do that. Perhaps they've so far been able to naturally find that balance. Or perhaps they're following another diet that creates calorie restriction via another mechanism than tallying their consumption. My aunt dieted for a while without actually counting calories because she just used one of those pre-made-meal plans who delivered her meals to her doorstep. The calorie restriction came from them basically choosing her breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for the day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I bust my *kitten* 6-7 days a week and I count every calorie.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym lifting and or cardio 5-6 times a week. Because of that , i dont always log all my calories. Ive lost almost all of my weight counting and not counting. I KNOW that if i eat right and dont over do the portions its under control and there are days when i eat enough for 3 people. I work out hard and i know that is important for my body and with the calories i burn doing that i dont feel that i have to be so strict with my diet.

I have been on MFP for almost 2 years now and honestly all the counting and stressing over macros etc just stresses me out and is one more thing on my to do list every day. So even if i have a bad eating day, logging it isint going to change that fact. I know it was bad, i dont need red numbers to tell me that.

Besides i would rather have a deficit due to my workouts than cutting back on my food.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym.

I think it would be to MANY people's great advantage if they did count their calories.

And many people believe that if they just "eat clean" (whatever that means to them) they will lose weight. (Unsure if that includes the weekly cheat meal or not :laugh:)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if some random person at the gym asked me if I counted calories, I would say 'no'.

That seams too personal.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    hey the people at the gym dont wash their hands after using the bathroom...now i dont because if they dont do it, then it's right, right?

do what works for you
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if some random person at the gym asked me if I counted calories, I would say 'no'.

That seams too personal.

if that's as personal as you get, id hate to see how the big the shell is youre wearing