GMO's - Help?!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm just a little dissapointed, I was hoping to get some insight from people who have been eating clean (organic, non-GMO, whatever you want to call it) & get THEIR point of view on things - I'm interested in how it's been working for them... Is that so bad?

Point of view on what, exactly? The human body can't tell the difference between GMO and non-GMO.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It seems like almost every reply was someone trying to aggravate the other instead of motivate, encourage or support each other which is KINDA what I thought this whole "MFP community" was for... Maybe I'm wrong. Is that too mushy-gooshy-lovey-dovey of me to expect people to be supportive like that?

The motivation and support section of the forums is a section to for motivation and support.

The forums are generally a place to exchange ideas and information.

Sometimes that exchange of information involves differing opinions.

Expecting support is fine but I would challenge the idea that people should support things arbitrarily. For example, some people will decide to do a juice cleanse and make a forum post asking for pointers, where they go on very low calorie liquid diets to apparently cleanse toxins from their system. I and others will usually reply suggesting that it's a bad idea and additionally there's no evidence to support the habit as being necessary or beneficial.

Then said person usually gets upset, and plays the "MFP is for support, we are all here for the same reason" card.

So this is just one example where shooting down an idea even if it means not showing someone support, is probably a better route to take because you never know how many other hundreds of people are reading that post wondering if they should forego their foods in place of liquids because some holistic health site suggested it will benefit their liver.

In your particular case, I find the idea of letting a documentary influence your decisions on dietary/lifestyle habits, to be a potentially dangerous practice. This has nothing to do with my stance on GMO foods, either.

Have a nice day, and good luck with your goals.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eating organic is not that hard, but I am not 100%. All my whole foods are. Living in Indiana and being told by a farmer that he wouldnt even eat his own corn was a huge eye opener for me. But you can find non organic foods that are gmo free. I know Kroger has a natural section which you can check out. I think most have them now as demand has increased. For meat you can find a local butcher shop. They should be able to answer all your questions on where there meat comes from and animal are butchered as ordered. I have found a pasture raised farm by me and I pay $6.80 lb for beef which is not bad for what you are getting.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago I watched the documentary "Genetic Roulette" and all I can say is, "WOW"

I thought I knew about GMO's before, but this blew my mind & now I want to get everything with a GMO out of my house & start eating clean.

Has anyone here already made the switch to eating clean (meaning non-GMO/organic)
    Is is realistic to think I can eat all clean foods on a budget? Can I still shop at Albertsons or do I have to be a Trader Joes snob? :laugh:
    What does your shopping list look like?

Any comments/concerns/rude remarks would be appreciated! :wink:

It's totally realistic on a budget. Trader Joe's actually isn't very pricey. I don't think they are at least. Albertson's isn't a grocery store in my area but I'm sure they have an organic section in the store.

Typically the only organic items I buy are fruits, veggies, and meat.

The USDA does recommend purchasing organic fruits and veggies for obvious reasons (eating the outer layer or "skin"). Many samples contain pesticides.
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The bigger issue with GMO's and GE foods isn't necessarily how it impacts your body. There's research to show it might be harmful, and research to show it's perfectly safe.

What GE foods do rather effectively is harm small farmers, promote globalization in ways that cause food insecurity for millions of people, and perpetuate a cycle of dependence on mega-corporations who have a very clear, profit driven business model.

A lot of people don't care about those issues, and that's honestly fine. 99% of food is going to be "problematic" in those ways and it's basically impossible to avoid Monsanto, etc.

If you want to cut down on GMOs and GE foods for any reason, be it because you believe it harmful to your health or you want to promote a more stable food system, your best bet is to seek out farmers markets, CSAs, co-ops, etc. Places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods offer some organic (non-GMO) products but they are still farmed in the same mega-farm & monocrop manner. It depends on your priorities, your options, and your beliefs. This is an extremely contentious issue and you can honestly find legitimate information to back up almost any viewpoint.

ETA: For the record, I'm the biggest dirty hippie you can imagine and even I think documentaries that use huge biases and scare tactics are not useful or factual. So no pile-on necessary here about how I'm brainwashed by bad information -- I'm level headed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Living in Indiana and being told by a farmer that he wouldnt even eat his own corn was a huge eye opener for me.

Most corn grown in Indiana is a breed specifically intended for purposes other than human consumption.

It's like saying you won't eat a Red Delicious because crab apples taste awful.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The bigger issue with GMO's and GE foods isn't necessarily how it impacts your body. There's research to show it might be harmful, and research to show it's perfectly safe.

What GE foods do rather effectively is harm small farmers, promote globalization in ways that cause food insecurity for millions of people, and perpetuate a cycle of dependence on mega-corporations who have a very clear, profit driven business model.

A lot of people don't care about those issues, and that's honestly fine. 99% of food is going to be "problematic" in those ways and it's basically impossible to avoid Monsanto, etc.

If you want to cut down on GMOs and GE foods for any reason, be it because you believe it harmful to your health or you want to promote a more stable food system, your best bet is to seek out farmers markets, CSAs, co-ops, etc. Places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods offer some organic (non-GMO) products but they are still farmed in the same mega-farm & monocrop manner. It depends on your priorities, your options, and your beliefs. This is an extremely contentious issue and you can honestly find legitimate information to back up almost any viewpoint.

I agree with the farmers market statement! I think their fruits and veggies are fresher and tastier too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I know a LOT of small farmers, many of them certified organic.

Every single one of them has a "very clear, profit driven business model".
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I know a LOT of small farmers.

Every single one of them has a "very clear, profit driven business model".

Yup -- EVERYONE who has a business does. However, context and application matters.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Living in Indiana and being told by a farmer that he wouldnt even eat his own corn was a huge eye opener for me.

Most corn grown in Indiana is a breed specifically intended for purposes other than human consumption.

It's like saying you won't eat a Red Delicious because crab apples taste awful.

+1. I know a small farmer who specifically grows non-GMO foods (corn or soybeans). He wouldn't eat the corn he grows (at least not off the ear) because of the type of corn, not because of GMO. If he grew sweet corn, he'd eat that.
  • gracyme
    gracyme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to get GMOs OUT!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to get GMOs OUT!!!! :flowerforyou:

Strong reading of the thread
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I try to do organic most of the time and avoid GMO's.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago I watched the documentary "Genetic Roulette" and all I can say is, "WOW"

I thought I knew about GMO's before, but this blew my mind & now I want to get everything with a GMO out of my house & start eating clean.

Has anyone here already made the switch to eating clean (meaning non-GMO/organic)
    Is is realistic to think I can eat all clean foods on a budget? Can I still shop at Albertsons or do I have to be a Trader Joes snob? :laugh:

Start with grass fed beef and cage free eggs. Your local butcher may have both.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options

ETA: For the record, I'm the biggest dirty hippie you can imagine and even I think documentaries that use huge biases and scare tactics are not useful or factual. So no pile-on necessary here about how I'm brainwashed by bad information -- I'm level headed.
    Basically the EU has banned imported GMO's but in reality it's just a reason to stop dependency of foreign seed manufactures and to maintain self sufficiency in agriculture, and not about food safety.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Organic, non GMO as much as possible..yep, it costs more, but I want my food the way God made it, not a scientist. Farmers markets and stores like Safeway that carry a good selection of organic are awesome.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Organic, non GMO as much as possible..yep, it costs more, but I want my food the way God made it, not a scientist. Farmers markets and stores like Safeway that carry a good selection of organic are awesome.

God made Safeway?

I missed it - which day of creation was that?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

While I don't think you should completely 100% change your way of eating based on *one* documentary, I will say that anything listed as USDA Certified organic will be GMO free. Many things at Whole Foods are GMO free, and the ones that aren't are marked pretty clearly.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ...I will say that anything listed as USDA Certified organic will be GMO free....

This is INCORRECT.

Organic certification allows for GMO ingredients "when suitable alternatives aren't available" (paraphrasing).

This is especially relevant to those believing they're buying meat raised on "organic" feed.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    ...I will say that anything listed as USDA Certified organic will be GMO free....

This is INCORRECT.

Organic certification allows for GMO ingredients "when suitable alternatives aren't available" (paraphrasing).

This is especially relevant to those believing they're buying meat raised on "organic" feed.

I was really talking about non-processed foods but I should have been more clear on that.

From FDA's site:

Organic crops. The USDA organic seal verifies that irradiation, sewage sludge, synthetic fertilizers, prohibited pesticides, and genetically modified organisms were not used.

Edit: The standard of USDA organic with the other two categories make me not put much stock in the label. It doesn't mean much to me.