Do not like veggies HELP

Options
I literally cannot stand to eat veggies. I will eat spinach, green beans and broccoli but it's rare like maybe a couple days a week and I know this is not good! It just in trying to lose weight but or my health! Any one have any suggestions at all?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Try them grilled or pan roasted. Cut them up small and add them to pasta, rice, pizzas, fajitas, in sauces, etc...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the veggies you DO tolerate a little more often as a first step?

Hell, I don't eat much other than broccoli, I love broccoli and it's super cheap too.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hide them in everything. Chop everything up into small bits and add to just about anything you cook. Veggie pizza is great! Salsa can be used in numerous ways too. Soups and sauces can hide a multitude of things. Check online recipe sites for some great ideas and commit to trying one new thing a week. If you like it, it's a keeper. In time you'll have a selection to chose from.

Increase the number of days you eat the ones listed that you do like. I have green beans probably 3 times a week. Try adding other ingredients to vary the tastes. If that's all you can tolerate, then just focus on other food groups and maybe consider taking a multivitamin.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When you go grocery shopping, try to grab one new veggie to try each week. Also experiment with cooking them in different ways, ie I hate boiled brussels sprouts but I love them when I roast them in the oven. There are also some I'll only eat raw and others I only like cooked, so play around with that as well
  • f_vega
    Options
    Blended fruit juices.
    Throw some veggies in along with fruits you like in the blender. you won't even notice the intruders. Throw spinach in every smoothie and some other stuff.
  • nanadayana
    Options
    I don't like to eat almost all kind of vegetables too. If you don't like it, don't push yourself to eat it. Especially when I am on my way to lose weight, I have to do it as fun as possible. I've relapsed once, after losing 45lbs (in 4 months) in 2009, I gained everything back in 3 years. I've learned my lesson. So this time around, I've told myself, I'm going to do it in a fun way so I can stick to the diet.

I eat only the food that I like. After a few tasting, I find that I love broccoli, mushrooms and green beans a lot. I love spicy food too. So almost all of my meal must have chilli.

Maybe you still don't find the vegetables that suit your taste. My suggestion is, keep on doing the tasting experiments. Hope you find one soon!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have learned to like a few new veggies because I tried a few different recipes with each one.

Try oven roasting veggies.... it brings out a different flavor and texture. Do mixtures.... puree cauliflower with potatoes for a healthier version of mashed potatoes. Then slowly make it more cauliflower and less potatoes. I use frozen cauliflower, it steams better. Carrots are good oven roasted. Broccoli is yummy too.

I had no idea I liked butternut squash until I oven roasted it with some cinnamon. Spaghetti Squash is good with some pasta sauce. I have also used it in place of noodles for lasagna. Zucchini cut in long ribbon is a good substitution for lasagna noodle too. Zucchini is good with italian food. Try grating it into pasta sauce. A trick I use for our daughter in law.... puree veggies in the food processor and then cook them into pasta sauce or her favorite etouffee. She thinks she hates onions and a few other veggies but only if she can see them. So when they are more like a paste and then sauteed up, she doesn't know they are there.

Jessica Seinfeld wrote a whole cookbook on how to hide veggies into dishes for kids. Maybe you can find some of her recipes so it works for you.

Do you like sweet red peppers? I eat those raw with a little hummus. Carrots are good with hummus too. Make a veggie dip with plain greek yogurt so you get some protein too. Baby carrots are sweeter and come in snack size bags.

Sweet potatoes has more nutrients in them than any other veggie. Bake those up with a little cinnamon and butter substitute. Cut them up, spray lightly with olive oil and bake them up as fries. I even cut zucchini up as fries, dip them in egg beaters, roll them in panko crumbs to bake up. They are soooooo good.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This post ^^^?

Just blew my mind.

I could learn so much from you.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you might enjoy vegetables on the sweeter end of the spectrum, such as sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets or red peppers?

Also, butter and salt can enhance the flavor of vegetables. (If you enjoy it in moderation, and plan for the calories, then you can work a bit of butter into your day, or a vegetarian/vegan substitute for butter.)

Or try other sauces: cheese sauce, peanut sauce, tahini, etc.

Try purchasing several different salad dressings and doing taste tests until you find one you like. Or, try making or purchasing dips that you fancy and eat crudite. (Log those calories!)

I would echo the suggestion that one of the others put forward: try a new vegetable once a week until you identify a core group of go-to favorites.

Finally, if you really can not find vegetables to your liking, then make an effort to identify fruits that you love and eat more of those.

Whatever you choose, just keep logging what you eat in your food diary. Fruit and vegetable calories add up, too, especially if they are augmented with sauces.