Results Using Weight Machines Anybody?

Options
Sbrn_
Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
Hello everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten any visible results that they acquired through using mainly weight machines that they wouldn't mind sharing. Just out of curiosity; I see plenty of success stories from people that have used mainly free weights, and next too nothing on machines. I'm aware free weights yield quicker and more effective results, but I'm pretty much stuck with machines for the foreseeable (I still lift HEAVY regardless), and and I'd just like a little motivation from those similar to myself. :smokin:

Replies

• Sbrn_
    Options
    Ubpm.
  • marlyme113
    Options
    In a past life, I lost 100 pounds in ten months -- starting from 336. By the end of that period I was lifting free weights and I do prefer that and it allows you to control the range of motion so you get better results. BUT, that does not mean you don't get results from machines. I lost the first 50 or so pounds with machines and treading. The important thing is to do something. If machines are where you are at, then go for it!!!
  • mbharper14
    Options
    You can lose from using weight machines, but they limit the natural range of motions. Don't get me wrong they are great to start off with i lost 10kgs using them :) but as you get more confident, able and fit i would start using free weights, you will see more results :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Machines have their uses. Try to use cable machines when possible; they require the activation of more stabilizer and core muscles, which is the main perk of free weights.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Barbells and free weights. A few machines but not many.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Prefer cables and free weights. Do use some machines occasionally especially if the free weights area is crowded. But noticeable results came from overall workouts not one specific type of weights.
  • Sbrn_
    Options
    *sigh* So they're just not that great then? Thanks for the feedback anyway people, I do appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
    You see, I don't really have any weight to lose, just some body fat and a general recomp. I can manage that, albeit slowly, keeping at the machines for now, right?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Following. Would love to see some results too.

I'm using machines at the moment too. I'm going very heavy (work sets are @6reps target). Since I'm stuck with the machines for now, I decided to commit to 3 months of a program I put together. At the end of 3 mos, if there hasn't been some kind of miracle that will allow me to get to start with barbell, then I'll re-arrange all the exercises and splits (mix it up a bit) for another 3 months. I must say though, I have had to switch several exercises to the cable machines because the fixed machines were just horrible motion.

I've been on current program for about 1 month. Hope to be a success story sometime this year. ;-)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think you can get some results with machines. But they will only do certain muscles. You need to do exercises called "compound lifts" that work multiple muscles at the same time. Barbells and free weights will help with assisting muscles as well so you gain strength everywhere not just one isolated muscle.

For example my chest day yesterday included incline bench, flat bench, decline bench, tricep pull over machine, and shoulder press machine. In between these while "resting" I used free weights and did over head press, ventral raises, arnold press, skull crushers, chest flies.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've gotten great results from machine work outs. Some work better than others, I prefer doing both free weight and machine, but I am more consistent with machines and saw plenty of definition working machines 3 to 4x a week. Just pay attention and increase your weight accordingly.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have seen GREAT results in just 6 weeks using mostly weight machines....although I am doing more free weights and looking to switch gyms to focus more exclusively on lifting just free weights.

My secret has been to lift HEAVY/low reps (only 8 reps per set) and to add more weight each week. When I started, I could only do 30 lbs. arm curls and am now at 55 lbs! So do maybe 3-5 sets of no more than 8 reps (make the weight heavy enough that that is all you can do for each set) for each exercise and try to add on more weight each week.

My posture is longer and more erect, my thighs, abs and arms look more toned and tight.....and I've only lost 8 lbs so far.

Don't wait for perfection....get the most out of what you can do now and over time, if shifting to free weights is possible, you can go for it. But there is plenty of benefit to strength training using machines, especially if you do heavy weight/low reps.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!