went over my calories. A little help please

Ok, so today I went over my 1200 by 700. I stay generally under and run lots. 150 miles since Jan 1st. But on my rest days I get hungry, today I went over, couldn't resist the big mac.... anyway I weighed my self to night and I'm up almost 5 lbs from what I was this morning. Did I just kill my week? My average daily calorie is around 1050 for the week so far. This includes today. But I often eat back around half my exercise calories. Just need some advice. .

Replies

• beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    I understand -- it sucks to feel like you screwed up and went over your calories, but try not to worry about one bad day. If you are up 5 pounds in one day (or down 5 in one day), it's just water weight. Big Macs have crazy amounts of sodium, right? So that causes you to retain water. Go on a long run tomorrow and I'm sure you will lose all that water weight and be back on track. Chin up!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Well this will be interesting...in to see what others have to say. :drinker:
  • SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    don't be concerned at all. Most people gain anywhere from 3-5 lbs. from the start of the day to the end. step on the scales tomorrow and see if you have gone back down.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    You're male and averaging only 1050? You do realize that's very low, right?

Best guess is the 5lbs gain is water weight due to you replenishing some glycogen stores. Nothing to worry about.
  • Don't make tomorrow an encore performance! Try to offset over the period of a few days. The weight gain isn't real as was stated earlier. It's not uncommon for my weight to fluctuate like that either.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Don't sweat it. It takes 3500 excess calories to gain a true pound; we all gain weight throughout the average day. That is not a problem at all. As long as it is not a regular thing, you are good. By the way, if you have set for a 1 lb per week weight loss, you are actually over by about 200 calories... if you are set to a 2 lb per week loss then you are still set for loss. This is a marathon, not a sprint... If what you are doing is working, keep doing it.
  • Ok. But I do notice I eat lots of salt. So what's my true weight? Am or pm?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Holy frack! Why are you eating so little? I am a short 41 year old female and I am losing with 1700 cals/day. Eating so little is problematic for many reasons. I am certain others will fill you in. In the meantime, try reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Please re-evaluate your current plan
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    I'd say AM. that way you have no food in your system offsetting you actual weight.
  • The average is after I run. So say I burn 500 running then I really ate 1570. I think the eat calories are off that's one reason I stay low
  • I meant the run calories. It linked to run keeper. But it seems high
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Sodium will skew your weight as it makes you retain water. It's normal after a lot of sodium to retain 5-even 10lbs and your weight fluctuates through the day, best time to weigh in is morning after you wake up, go to the bathroom and before you eat.
    I'm also wondering why you're eating so little, my understanding is women's minimum is 1200 and men's is about 1600. You should really look into this, I can't imagine that's good for you at all...
  • I have it set at sed. I drive most of the day. So the only exercise is gym or running. 1050 is after I put my burned calories in.
  • AvaMusnicki
    AvaMusnicki Posts: 15 Member
    Weigh yourself in first thing in the morning at the same time so you have a base that you are comparing...and you'll be at your lightest most likely. :)

Don't worry about the big mac! Think of it this way, it should be fuel for a run tomorrow and get in a good run the following day too and watch your calories the next couple of days. Your body will adjust.

I have a few friends who are trainers and body physique competitors. They eat strict 5 days a week and allow themselves cheats on the weekends...like ice cream and cookies. Their bodies seem to handle it just fine. So just consider the big mac your "cheat" for the week and stay on top of your intake over the weekend.

I've been doing that for the past 6 weeks where I am strict during the week and I don't count calories on the weekend. I always start Monday a little heavier than the past Friday but by the next Friday I weigh less than the past Friday. Hope that made sense.

Don't sweat it. Well...sweat it out tomorrow :)

I feel your pain, I went way over on my calories today and I am upset over that but I plan to do a double tomorrow....probably run in the a.m. and crossfit in the p.m. and hope to burn off today's indulgence.
  • Thanks ava
  • AvaMusnicki
    OH and drink a ton of water...helps with the water weight retention from all of the sodium
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    If your sodium is high then you will be retaining - drink lots of water and try not to go into the red on your sodium for a few days then weigh in the morning after you do your "business"

Also if you are eating only 1200 cals I would re-evaluate your settings - that seems pretty low to me
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    You're right about not eating back your calories to some degree if your goal is to lose weight, but you really aren't eating enough calories to begin with, even if you weren't working out. That alone…take out all the discussions on sodium, water, timing, muscle mass….that alone can cause you to gain weight…if not now, eventually you'll screw up your metabolism pretty seriously.

If you're worried about adding in calories thinking you'll gain weight, add a little each day for a week at a time and see where that brings you. For instance add 100 calories daily for one week and see if you notice any increase in weight, then keep doing that.

But like most people said, don't worry about that scale number so much. Proof is in your body composition, how you feel and how your clothes fit. Weight will fluctuate from day to day and within a day. That's just part of our body's chemistry.

One more thing, like knra-grl said, you might want to double check the MFP recommended settings. You may have set your settings too low to maintain good health.
  • I'll look into that. I try to balance according to the % of fat protein and what not. I take supplements. Just seems like sodium ins in everything..
  • AvaMusnicki
    Sodium Is definitely found in processed foods...like foods found in boxes and cans. Try to shop the perimeter of the grocery store grabbing meats, veggies, tubers, fruits and you'll be good to go