Eggs and Cholesterol (from Jillian Michaels)

Options
Just got this in my inbox.. thoughts?

One large egg has roughly 186 milligrams of cholesterol — all of which is found in the egg's yolk. Since dietary cholesterol was once thought to be the major cause of unhealthy blood cholesterol, egg yolks have been demonized and health nuts stick to eating strictly egg whites. Now, don't get me wrong — egg whites are a great, healthy source of protein, but there is definitely room for WHOLE eggs in a healthy diet. As long as you haven't been advised otherwise by your doctor, you can enjoy the many nutritional benefits of a whole egg. So, yes, you can have an egg and eat the yolk too! Here are a few reasons why.

The real threat to high cholesterol is saturated and trans fats, not dietary cholesterol. Years ago, when scientists learned that high blood cholesterol was associated with heart disease, foods high in cholesterol were thought to be the leading cause of unhealthy blood cholesterol. Now, 25 years later, scientists have come to the conclusion that cholesterol in food is not the true villain — saturated and trans fats have a much greater effect on blood cholesterol. Your body actually needs the cholesterol in meat and eggs to make testosterone, which helps to increase energy and helps to build more calorie-building muscle. In fact, one study at the University of Connecticut found that the fat in egg yolks actually helps to reduce LDL ("bad" cholesterol). So banish the old notion that an egg, specifically the yolk, is hazardous to your health. According to the American Heart Association, the recommended limit of dietary cholesterol is 300 milligrams for people with normal LDL (bad) cholesterol levels — and one egg contains 185 milligrams of dietary cholesterol. (If you have a history of high cholesterol or heart disease in your family, though, you may want to consult your doctor about how to limit your cholesterol intake.)

Whole eggs are full of beneficial vitamins and minerals. Whole eggs are a nearly perfect food, with almost every essential vitamin and mineral our bodies need to function. It is one of the few natural food sources of vitamin D and contains 7 grams of high-quality protein. Whole eggs are also full of omega-3 fatty acids and deliver many of the B vitamins and nutrients — B6, B12, riboflavin, folate, and choline — that, in fact, are believed to help prevent heart disease. L-arginine, an amino acid found in eggs, are critical to the body's production of protein and the release of growth hormones. Another amino acid found in eggs, leucine, also helps the body produce growth hormones as well as regulate blood sugar levels. The yolk itself contains most of these vitamins and minerals, plus half of its protein. When you eat only the egg whites, you're missing out on all of these nutritional benefits and are getting only 3.5 grams, or half, of the protein.

It's all in the preparation. If you're frying your eggs in saturated-fat-laden butter and serving them with saturated-fat-laden bacon — they will have a negative impact on your cholesterol levels. Instead, heat olive oil on low heat in a cast-iron skillet to cook your egg the healthiest way. When cooking omelets, frittatas, or any other dish that involves a larger quantity of eggs, I like to use a mix of whole eggs with egg whites. The reason is that whole eggs do have a decent amount of fat. So, if you're cooking something with more than two eggs, I recommend subbing in egg whites for some of the whole eggs.

________

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, eggs (especially the yolks) are full of nutrients.

Yes, dietary cholesterol intake has little effect on serum cholesterol levels.

Yes, saturated fat MAY impact serum cholesterol levels.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs and feel fine. I think Ill agree with what Michaels is saying.
  • SarahMarieYates
    SarahMarieYates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I got that email too! I've been trying to incorporate more protein into my breakfast and have been making "egg muffins"

chopped bell pepper
    chopped tomato
    chopped onion
    chopped turkey bacon

mix and pour veggie mix into a muffin pan, filling them about 3/4 of the way

Then add a egg mix and baking at 350 for 25 minutes.

So far so good and I'm not starving by lunch!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yes!

I use one whole egg and two egg whites when I make my omelets. Egg whites alone suck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Spewferous (yes, I just made that word up) information that is fairly common all over the internet....I doubt they were actual her words.
  • zivasak
    Options
    Yes eggs are good for but I will have to disagree with a misleading piece of information in the last paragraph. BUTTER IS GOOD FOR YOU TOO. I eat a minimum of 20g of butter a day and would not cook in anything else. I keep olive oil for my salads or add a tbsp to my protein to reach my fat intake target. This guy explains it better than anyone else.

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-reasons-why-butter-is-good-for-you/

However, it does not mean you have to stuff your face with butter. Moderation is key!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Spewferous (yes, I just made that word up) information that is fairly common all over the internet....I doubt they were actual her words.

She (or her team) likely get their info from various sources. However, she seems very consistent in her writing style, so I think those are her words, but the info definitely not proprietary in any way.
  • eso2012
    Options

However, it does not mean you have to stuff your face with butter. Moderation is key!

So true!
  • eso2012
    Options
    I got that email too! I've been trying to incorporate more protein into my breakfast and have been making "egg muffins"

chopped bell pepper
    chopped tomato
    chopped onion
    chopped turkey bacon

Wow, you are patient! I would just scrambled everything. Egg mix = just eggs or with a bit of flour and milk? If it is like quiche....or "muffin", I would definitely wait for 25 minutes :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Great - not sure about the end:
    "So, if you're cooking something with more than two eggs, I recommend subbing in egg whites for some of the whole eggs. "
    why is that?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    "So, if you're cooking something with more than two eggs, I recommend subbing in egg whites for some of the whole eggs. "
    why is that?
    I'm sure she has no idea.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    aye :)

I think I should PM her this study:
    Normal Plasma Cholesterol in an 88-Year-Old Man Who Eats 25 Eggs a Day — Mechanisms of Adaptation

RESULTS
    The patient's plasma lipid levels were normal: total cholesterol, 5.18 mmol per liter (200 mg per deciliter); LDL, 3.68 mmol per liter (142 mg per deciliter); and HDL, 1.17 mmol per liter (45 mg per deciliter). The ratio of LDL to HDL cholesterol was 3.15.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199103283241306
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

chopped bell pepper
    chopped tomato
    chopped onion
    chopped turkey bacon

Wow, you are patient! I would just scrambled everything. Egg mix = just eggs or with a bit of flour and milk? If it is like quiche....or "muffin", I would definitely wait for 25 minutes :)

I've never made them, but I think what you're supposed to do with these is make a big batch, like maybe on a weekend, and then freeze them so you can pop one out of the freezer and heat it up quickly for a workday or a quick meal. I would be too impatient to make one everyday too haha, but making ahead I would love to try.
  • eso2012
    Options
    why is that?

The way I interpret the whole article is: no need to stay away from egg yolk. In fact, have some. But beware that yolks do contain more fat (and cals if you are counting). So to get the best of both worlds, cook with whole eggs...if your recipe needs a lot, sub a few with egg whites only.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    why is that?

The way I interpret the whole article is: no need to stay away from egg yolk. In fact, have some. But beware that yolks do contain more fat (and cals if you are counting). So to get the best of both worlds, cook with whole eggs...if your recipe needs a lot, sub a few with egg whites only.
    Not my interpretation. She refers to 2 whole eggs being somehow the limit for consumption, probably because of saturated fat and cholesterol, and if you need more egg volume to use whites only. That advise is the normal speak we hear all the time....it falls into the safe category of recommendations from people that are either told what to say or from people that haven't actually done much research and has defaulted to general opinion.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't translate to serum levels and I assume she at least knows that, so I suspect it's the saturated fat content that's her problem. An egg has 1.5g's of saturated fat of the 5 g's of fat, the rest being monounsaturated and have been shown to increase HDL without increasing LDL and the main factor why the general public have accepted the press that eggs are not to be feared. All the vitamins are in the yolks and also one of the few food sources that have natural vitamin D and the list of minerals are amazing...it really is a powerhouse of nutrients, so telling people to leave them out because of the measly amount of saturated fat, that actually benefits our lipid profile is well, not to well thought out and very poor advice. imo
  • Nimco4930
    Nimco4930 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First of all I love me some Jillian Michaels :love:
    Secondly I have heard a lot of the Egg white stories but I prefer to eat mine whole especially
    when I am making scrambled eggs after a workout :laugh:
  • nanadayana
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I loveeeee eating eggs so much. I eat one whole egg and sometimes two everyday!
  • donohuge
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm new here so just a quick hello first!

Something I'd like to point out is that raised serum cholesterol levels (LDL in this instance) don't just come from the overconsumption of dietary fats, they also come from the overconsumption of CHO. Developing a diet to improve your cholesterol ratios is pointless if you are still over-consuming, regardless of the substrate in question.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic news!!! While dieters are encouraged to eat lean protein, I have been eating at least 4 eggs each week, 2 at a time. I must confess I use butter to cook them in, but it has not reduced my dietary weight loss. Everyone should keep track of their cholesterol levels though; check with your doctor for what's best for you!!!