Diet Plan - Where am i going wrong?

Options
Hi,

I started my diet on 1st Jan, and i think it is a pretty healthy diet, well in my eyes, but my weight isn't shifting now at all. It has come to a stand still, and i think i am starting to grain a few pounds.

My diet is pretty straight forward:

Mon - Sat:

Breakfast:
Protein shake

Snack:
6 strawberries
pistachio nuts X 15

Lunch:
Fat free natural yogurt (120ml)
Chopped up strawberries, blackberries, grapes
Natural breakfast granola (1/4 baking cup measure)
Cinnamon powder

Snack
15-20 Black grapes

Dinner:
Plain cod (No batter or bread crumbs)
Peas

Snack:
cashew nuts X 15

I might have a few plain cream crackers throughout the day also.

Water intake would be 4-5 liters a day

Sunday is my cheat day, i get a full dinner with potatoes and also have a dessert

I workout 4 days a week

Any suggestions what i could add or remove?

Thanks

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    How many calories MFP recommend for your weight loss? And have patience, it's been only month and half... weight loss doesn't happen over night. Be careful with nuts, they're healthy but high on calories. Are you vegeterian? If not, try to add some meat ... like chicken for lunch with some veggies
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat DAY, have a cheat MEAL, decrease the amount of grapes you eat, swap peas for a different veg, try almonds instead of cashews, swap cod with salmon, try a proper breakfast instead of a protein shake, mix it up a little, don't eat the same meals every day, you need variety... more veg and a mixture of different protein sources
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat DAY, have a cheat MEAL, decrease the amount of grapes you eat, swap peas for a different veg, try almonds instead of cashews, swap cod with salmon, try a proper breakfast instead of a protein shake, mix it up a little, don't eat the same meals every day, you need variety... more veg and a mixture of different protein sources
    This will make absolutely know difference if the poster is eating too many calories.

OP are you weighing all your food and sticking within MFP recommended calorie limits?
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    OP are you weighing all your food and sticking within MFP recommended calorie limits?

^^^^^
    This.
    QFT.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Also as you've only got 5kg to lose (as per your ticker) you're going to find that it comes off quite slowly.

Providing information about your height , weight and open your diary will also help with getting appropriate suggestions.
  • Oonaghmcd
    Oonaghmcd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

MFP suggests i eat 1200 calories..

I'm such a fussy eater, and only eat fish, chicken or turkey. The only fish i like is tuna, cod or whiting, i don't eat any other types of meat, and i don't like eggs, so that rules that out for me.

Someone suggested i was eating too much fruit, and there is too much sugar in fruit? What else could I snack on, and replace the fruit?

Nuts, i was told to eat them as they are 'healthy fats'?

Cheat meal on a Sunday, i would eat my Sunday dinner, with potatoes, would you call this a cheat meal? Or could i eat my dessert also? Or would it be either potatoes or the dessert?

Replace the peas? Are peas bad for my diet? Should i change it to carrots or something?

Overwhelmed with all the replies, thank you!
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

MFP suggests i eat 1200 calories..

I'm such a fussy eater, and only eat fish, chicken or turkey. The only fish i like is tuna, cod or whiting, i don't eat any other types of meat, and i don't like eggs, so that rules that out for me.

Someone suggested i was eating too much fruit, and there is too much sugar in fruit? What else could I snack on, and replace the fruit?

Nuts, i was told to eat them as they are 'healthy fats'?

Cheat meal on a Sunday, i would eat my Sunday dinner, with potatoes, would you call this a cheat meal? Or could i eat my dessert also? Or would it be either potatoes or the dessert?

Replace the peas? Are peas bad for my diet? Should i change it to carrots or something?

Overwhelmed with all the replies, thank you!

I would figure out what you should eat at maintenance and not go over that on your cheat days. How much have you set your weight loss per week to?
  • kurtistime
    kurtistime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If you are you may be putting on muscle which will mean your losing FAT and not weight. Or if not it might be worth incorporating exercise in to your diet plan.

I argee with the fruit and nuts not being the best for diets. Have you tried a few crackers instead? They are normally between 15-29 kcal each plus have lots of fibre which is good for weight loss. Also maybe check which protein shake to are using as well I currently use this (http://www.theproteinworks.com/shop-by-goal/fat-loss/proteins/diet-whey-complex.html) and its help me loads. (Not sure where your based or if they can deliver to you)

Hope that helps and good luck

Kurtis
  • Oonaghmcd
    Options
    I have set to loose 1KG per week? Maybe that is too much to expect?

I workout 3-4 times a week, cardio, push ups, abs, and some weights.

What type of crackers do you mean Kurtis? Like plain cream crackers?

I am using PHD diet whey protein

I am from N.Ireland
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing (not measuring cups) everything and does your cheat take you over your weekly cals?

I am 5'2.5 and lost 28lbs on 1400 cals a day so do you really need to go as low as 1200, makes it hard work and too fast a loss if you don't have much to lose surely? Don't want to work out lots then lose muscle because you've gone at it too hard and fast.

Sorry for rushed reply,, I'm working....ish!
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I have set to loose 1KG per week? Maybe that is too much to expect?

I workout 3-4 times a week, cardio, push ups, abs, and some weights.

What type of crackers do you mean Kurtis? Like plain cream crackers?

I am using PHD diet whey protein

I am from N.Ireland

1 kg is to much. Take it down to 0.25.

I'm 157 (5'1") and have about 10kg to lose. And I eat 1500 calories a day.

Right now focus on calories, because if you go in here there is going to be to many opinions about sugar it will only confuse you , I know it confuses me.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Well, first you don't have nearly enough veggies in your diet. You should be eating 3x more veggies than fruit.

Peas can't really be considered a veggie because they're a starch (same with potatos and corn).

I'm also super picky about protein, but I'll give you an idea of what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast:
    Fajita Quesadilla (1 serving= 1/2 tortilla, cheese, onion and sweet peppers) 87 cals
    Pistachios 102 cals
    Banana (Medium) 110 cals

Snack
    Raw Almonds 100 calories

Lunch
    Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 2 cup shredded 16 calories
    Tomatoes- 2.5 cups- 81 calories
    orange bell pepper (1 medium) 70 calories
    Hass Avocado (1/2) 130 calories
    Green Onions 20 calories
    Mustard 16 calories
    Tuna (1 can in water) 100 calories

Afternoon snack
    Angel Food Cake (1/12 of a box mix) 140
    Strawberry Puree 9 calories

Dinner
    Veggie Lasagna 320 calories

Evening Snack
    1 slice of bread 100 calories
    1/2 tbsp butter 51 calories
    Cinnamon Sugar Mix 15 calories

Grand Total= 1467 calories

I weigh 260 and I aim for 1500 calories when I'm not working out (ie days like yesterday)

I have a feeling you're not losing weight because you calorie intake is too low. Your body is most likely slowing down your metabolism and storing everything you eat as fat. 1200 is not the magic number that you shouldn't fall below. It's an average, and you shouldn't ever assume you're average. I wouldn't go below 1300 calories a day. If you really want to lose that 1 kg/week increase your calorie deficiency by exercise, not by cutting calories.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    This will make absolutely know difference if the poster is eating too many calories.

There is no way she is eating too many calories if she's only at 1200 a day. And this will make a ton of difference. Losing weight is about more than a number its about health and this diet isn't healthy.
  • Oonaghmcd
    Options

I have a feeling you're not losing weight because you calorie intake is too low. Your body is most likely slowing down your metabolism and storing everything you eat as fat. 1200 is not the magic number that you shouldn't fall below. It's an average, and you shouldn't ever assume you're average. I wouldn't go below 1300 calories a day. If you really want to lose that 1 kg/week increase your calorie deficiency by exercise, not by cutting calories.

I think your correct about my metabolism, I think** i eat pretty healthy most days, but I'm just not eating enough.. This weight loss is hard work :(