Quinoa Virgin

Options
I've been dying to try quinoa for a long time but it's been a little out of my budget. I finally got a box and realized I have no idea what to do with it. I thought I'd use it in soups or stuffed peppers like barley but I thought maybe you guys would have some suggestions!

Any awesome quinoa recipes for somebody who's never cooked with it?

Also: How can I effectively rinse it without a strainer? I didn't realize I needed to rinse it and won't be able to get a strainer until next week. :C

Replies

• rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Few of my favs....

1. cook it in chicken broth.... yum
    2. cook quinoa and add pesto, chicken and parmesan
    3. just plain is also good
    4. tuna casserole, just replace the noodles with quinoa....

also, if you can go to Costco.... soooo much cheaper
  • mrswpg
    mrswpg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can measure out the amount needed for your recipe, and fill pot with water and swirl it around to give it a good rinse. Most of them sink to the bottom and wont empty out into the sink when you drain it without a strainer. As long as most of the excess water is poured off you should be good.( I don't use a strainer).
    If you google Quinoa recipe you'll be able to find all kinds that suit your taste buds...
    Cook quinoa as per directions and add veggies to make a salad

My favorite way to have it is with Greek ingredients 1cup of each
    chop cucumber with the peel in quarters cubes
    grape tomatoes
    chopped peppers any kind or all colors
    1/2cup feta cheese cubes or crumbled
    1/2 cup Black olives, your favorite ( I buy the bulk sundried ones with pits packed in olive oil)
    use your favorite greek dressing (vinaigrette) (I like the Renee's mediteranian ) measure out 1/4 cup add a little at a time, until it looks coated. You don't want it too wet it will get soggy. Refridgerate for a couple hours to marinate the veggies... and to allow the quinoa to absorb all the greek flavours.
    I love this salad,
    Hope you find ways to use your quinoa. I also throw hand full into homemade soups, stews. chili. adds a lot of protein to the diet..
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anything I used rice in quinoa is a drop-in replacement for me.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Quinoa chicken parm sounds awesome! Unfortunately there's not Costco in my area. :(
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    I like greek salads. Adding quinoa sounds great!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I have never rinsed it, did not know you had to!

Just to be totally weird, but I put a tablespoonful of it in my porridge (left to cook slow on hob, not 2 min in microwave) and it gives a nice nutty flavour and a bit of texture. Bit like making rice pudding I guess.
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like it the Greek way too. Also, I roast my veggies and mix it together.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/quinoa

I've done a couple of recipes from the above. :O)
  • britgetsfit1
    britgetsfit1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love adding it to my salads! Also one of my favorite recipes:

2 cups uncooked quinoa (then cook according to package directions)
    half an onion, chopped small
    1 clove fresh garlic, chopped small
    half of large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    handful of chopped cilantro
    1 diced avocado

Mix all together and set aside

In a small bowl combine juice from 1 limes, tbls olive oil, 1 tbls cumin. Mix together and toss in.

So GOOD!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I have never rinsed it, did not know you had to!

Just to be totally weird, but I put a tablespoonful of it in my porridge (left to cook slow on hob, not 2 min in microwave) and it gives a nice nutty flavour and a bit of texture. Bit like making rice pudding I guess.

Huh. I love quinoa, but I'd never thought of doing that. May have to try!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i like a mushy mouth-burning grits analog with red pepper, bragg's aminos, and cavender's greek season. i'll also use non-mushy quinoa in place of pasta or rice. can't get enough of the stuff.

eta: first time i rinsed it (recently) was quite the comedy of errors, until i realized that i didn't have to strain it, because it sinks--just keep dumping out the water and adding more, swirl and dump, swirl and dump, until the water runs clear.
  • 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you have a a Trader Joe's in your area you can get a 16 oz bag of organic white quinoa for $3.49
    As far as eating it, this grain is top of the line for protein content. It takes on the flavor of what ever seasoning you use, much like tofu. The texture is like grits. cooking instruction are 2 parts water (or cooking liquid) to one part grain. I boil mine in vegetable broth, then I add it to some stir fried vegetable or sprinkle over a salad or you can eat it in replacement on your plate were you would have rice or potato. Happy exploration. There is more variety in grain, vegetables and fruits on planet earth than we have enough time to explore....http://bishop55.hubpages.com/hub/How-many-different-kinds-of-fruit-and-vegetables-are-there
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Quinoa & Black Bean Chili

1/2 cup dry quinoa
    1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken stock)
    1.5 tsp olive oil
    1/2 med onion chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1.5 tsp chili powder
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    1 14.5oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes
    1 14.5oz can low-sodium black beans (rinsed/drained)
    1/2 med green bell pepper diced
    1/2 med red bell pepper diced
    1 small diced zucchini
    1/2 seeded/chopped jalapeno pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup frozen corn kernals (you can leave off if you do not eat corn)

Prepare quinoa with veggie broth or water according to instructions (then set aside). Saute onion in olive oil until transparent (about 5 mins), then add chili powder, cumin and garlic. Continue to saute for 1 min until flavors release. Add can of tomatoes and black beans and all other ingredients (except corn). Bring to steady simmer on high, then turn down to medium, cover and simmer for 20 mins. You may want to add some more broth or water if more liquid needed to simmer properly.

After 20 mins, add quinoa and corn (if using). Continue cooking for 5 mins to warm up corn and quinoa.

This makes 3 large servings: 339 cal, 60g carb, 5g fat, 15g protein, 15g fiber
  • jimboburgess
    Options
    cooks up just like rice, maybe even easier. 1 part quinao 2 parts liquid and then bring to boil high heat then lower for 13ish minutes. I've been finishing with olive oil and lemon zest, then add a few roasted cherry tomatoes.

quinao is very much a blank canvas that tastes good just by itself. use it to experiment
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    get a cookbook from the library. I like mine best as a cereal.
  • misterjactdc
    Options
    I like to eat it for breakfast (like oatmeal) after cooking in plain water (2 parts water - 1 part quinoa) in my rice cooker - I add some fresh blueberries or raspberries, sliced almonds and a sprinkle of stevia. It is yummy!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I buy the whole grain at sprouts, health food store here in So Cal. I've not found it expensive. for rinsing or blanching, I find it works pretty well just to leave the quinoa in a pot of water over night. ALOT of the stuff just comes off with no effort. but if you're in a hurry, it's boil, pour off, rinse, repeat, and reboil then turn to low and let it cook just like rice. I eat it like oatmeal but I've also made puddings with it. lots of recipes all over the net.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i actually dont rinse the quinoa i just cook it in water.

quinoa spinach patties:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/06/quinoa-and-spinach-patties.html

southwestern blackbean, quinoa and mango melody:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/southwestern-black-bean-quinoa-and.html

spinach and quinoa salad with grapefruit and avocado:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/spinach-and-quinoa-salad-with.html

quinoa risotto:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/quinoa-risotto-525-pts.html

quinoa fried "rice":
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/quinoa-fried-rice-525-pts.html

also good with sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms) and black beans with olive oil and spices (garlic and oregano)
  • epete6501
    epete6501 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pizza bites is my favorite recipe with quinoa:

http://www.somewhatsimple.com/quinoa-pizza-bites/

You can do ham/ turkey and cheese bites too. Easy lunch!
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken Quinoa ("mac") and cheese has become a new comfort food.

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/03/07/buffalo-chicken-quinoa-mac-and-cheese/

Substitutions are fairly easy - and I've been known to add broccoli straight into the casserole rather than on the side.

_____

Quinoa Veggie Mini Lasagnas

Take any veggie filling lasagna recipe you like. Make as you choose. (I like to use red pepper flakes and a bit of roasted chili olive oil for spice.) - you can do this with ground beef or ground turkey as well if you prefer
    Rinse, drain and cook as per package directions 1 cup of quinoa.
    Mix quinoa in with veggie lasagna filling.
    Take a package of Wonton Wrappers - in a sprayed muffin tin, in each cup layer Wrapper, cheese of choice,veggie quinoa mix. Rinse and repeat for 2-3 layers. Top with a wonton wrapper. spinkle with a touch of cheese if you like cheese on top.

Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until wrappers are golden and cheese is melted.

______

And pretty much 85% of the 365 days of Quinoa cookbook (quinoa cheesecake brownies...just saying).