Flavouring food without high calorie sauces

Options
Hi all when I first started off eating healthy I struggled to find ways to make my food tasty without adding the normal mayo or high sodium sauces and I have discovered that there is more ways to add flavour! I like to use garlic and herb seasoning (No added salt of course), Taco seasoning or finely chopped garlic and chilli with sauteed onions is also really nice! Balsamic vinegar and cajun seasoning is yummy too. I was wondering if anyone else has any other cool and yummy ideas for seasoning food without the bad stuff?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like! I love to use fresh cilantro, basil and dill.
  • jgarner7
    jgarner7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like cumin, turmeric, ginger, and garlic in a stir fry. Add some whole cloves or half a lemon and saffron to rice. On eggs I like chili powder with a little salt and pepper. I also really like rosemary on a mozzarella and tomato wheat sandwich.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash
  • laurenhambrick
    laurenhambrick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms! It is a brand of dressings/sauces with 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugar etc. They have everything from ranch dressing, maple syrup, chocoalte syrup, marshmallow sauce, ketchup, alfredo sauce and so many other choices. They sell it at Sprouts, Albertsons and Ralphs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    franks red hot buffalo sauce ZERO calories...
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am a very boring eater/cook. I use nothing but black pepper and garlic powder 99.999% of the time.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Tomato-based sauces.

I make all sorts of them for everything.

Can I ask why the no sodium? MFP's setting might actually be too low for active people. If you're working out regularly, don't cut back too far. You may find that you are sodium deficient at some point.

Edit for autocorrect.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Tomato-based sauces.

I make all sorts of them for everything.

Can I ask why the no sodium? MFP's setting might actually be too low for active people. If you're working out regularly, don't cut back too far. You may find that you are sodium deficient at some point.

Edit for autocorrect.

I occasionally use pink himalayan salt in my stir fry but I havent tracked my sodium for a long time I should have a look and see where im at! I usually go for no salt as a lot of foods have added salt.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms! It is a brand of dressings/sauces with 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugar etc. They have everything from ranch dressing, maple syrup, chocoalte syrup, marshmallow sauce, ketchup, alfredo sauce and so many other choices. They sell it at Sprouts, Albertsons and Ralphs.

Is this in America? I havent heard of any of these places as im from australia but that sounds awesome!
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    We use Dukkah, a spicy mix made with seeds, nuts and seasonings that is used for dipping or for seasoning. You can also use it as a coating for baked meats. Being Paleo I also make my own catsups, mayos, and other sauces like sriracha so I can do sugar free versions and such.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    franks red hot buffalo sauce ZERO calories...

Yep! My husband even puts this in grits. We got rid of the sauces and condiments we didn't want to use, and sure enough, we found alternatives we like.
  • Salsa is a wonderful way to add tons of flavor for about 5 calories per tablespoon. I add it to my omelets to brighten up egg whites; on salad to make a low carb taco salad; on chicken/beef/etc for s southwestern flavor. Salsa.comes in so many varieties too! You could change up the flavor of salsa every day of the week. Love the stuff.

Lemons and/or dill are great flavor boosts for fish also.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sriracha and Mrs. Dash, not necessarily at the same time.