Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Carb Diet

The past two times I have had my blood drawn, my trigycerides have been high. Right now I am about 30 pounds overweight. Who has been succesful with a low carb diet to lose weight and/or lower triglycerides. A lot of my coworkers at work are doing a low carb diet to try and lose weight. They are just starting the process, so their success isn't showing yet. What foods are good to eat for a low carb diet? What foods are low carb, but also have a lot of protein? Are there any magical foods that can help with fat loss? I do not want any diet pills as I heard those are not safe and have a lot of bad side effects. I read somewhere that 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of water consumed 3 times a day can help with weight loss. I am open to any suggestions.

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
  • What’s most important is the type of carbohydrate you chose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

not to mention that a lot of "low-carb" diets are crash diets and don't provide you with lasting results.

If there is one diet that i recommend it would be the paleo diet. which is based upon everyday, modern foods that mimic the food groups of our pre-agricultural, hunter-gatherer ancestors. The diet will help to optimize your health, minimize your risk of chronic disease, and lose weight. This is a low carb diet that involves eating non-starchy fresh fruits and vegetables. These represent the main carbohydrate source and will provide for 35-45 % of your daily calories. Almost all of these foods have low glycemic indices that are slowly digested and absorbed, and won’t spike blood sugar levels.

good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

How are french fries "highly refined"? They're just sliced raw potatoes in hot oil.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

How are french fries "highly refined"? They're just sliced raw potatoes in hot oil.

French fries are high gi foods which have been documented to spike insulin. Coupled with the low fiber content of french fries, the resulting dip in blood glucose could cause some people to experience a roller coaster effect.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

French fries are high gi foods...

What does that have to do with my question? The claim is that french fries are "highly refined" - I don't see how that is the case.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    OP the cider and water thing is complete myth, so please do not do that..

As far as low carb goes, just keep in mind that it is not some magical fat burning solution. All low carb is, is a tool to help you create a calorie deficit…

I would say that you would have better success using MFP to create a 500 per day calorie deficit and continue to eat the foods you like, just less of them. I always advise the 80/20 rule - 80% healthy, 20% whatever you want = ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc…

set your macro % to 40% Protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat...

I would also recommend a program of heavy lifting with compound movements. Starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    What’s most important is the type of carbohydrate you chose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

not to mention that a lot of "low-carb" diets are crash diets and don't provide you with lasting results.

If there is one diet that i recommend it would be the paleo diet. which is based upon everyday, modern foods that mimic the food groups of our pre-agricultural, hunter-gatherer ancestors. The diet will help to optimize your health, minimize your risk of chronic disease, and lose weight. This is a low carb diet that involves eating non-starchy fresh fruits and vegetables. These represent the main carbohydrate source and will provide for 35-45 % of your daily calories. Almost all of these foods have low glycemic indices that are slowly digested and absorbed, and won’t spike blood sugar levels.

good luck!

i would suggest you read this:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

here is basic premise:
    MYTH:A High Carbohydrate Diet Leads to Chronically High Insulin Levels

FACT:Insulin Is Only Elevated During the Time After a Meal In Healthy Individuals
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I disagree that low carb diets are crash diets as they can be sustainable and just as much about a change in lifestyle as a low calorie diet is. I would also disagree that paleo is low carb...45% is not low carb.

There are lots of sources of protein that are low in carbs (or no carb). Fish, chicken, beef, pork, eggs are just some examples.

A low carb diet isn't something every one can stick to. Some would rather have a little bit if everything than a lot of one thing or very little or nothing of something else. For me it was a good choice because I just cannot be fully satisfied just counting on portion control.

To help lower triglycerides you can increase your fish intake for the Omega 3. Adding exercise can also help. You may want to check with your doctor for recommendations for how to get those numbers lowered.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member

French fries are high gi foods which have been documented to spike insulin. Coupled with the low fiber content of french fries, the resulting dip in blood glucose could cause some people to experience a roller coaster effect.
    Only if someone has a problem with glucose metabolism. Context and dosage goes a long way.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Don't do a low carb diet if you haven't done research regarding the topic.

Don't expect to lose weight on a low carb diet. Stop being low carb and not just gain all the weight back.

Follow the MFP guidelines. Try to eat more healthy whole foods, less processed food and exercise more.That is probably your best bet.

But ill also tell you some magic foods for fat loss. Coconuts/oil, advocados, and sardines.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Don't do a low carb diet if you haven't done research regarding the topic.

Don't expect to lose weight on a low carb diet. Stop being low carb and not just gain all the weight back.

Follow the MFP guidelines. Try to eat more healthy whole foods, less processed food and exercise more.That is probably your best bet.

But ill also tell you some magic foods for fat loss. Coconuts/oil, advocados, and sardines.

Don't expect to lose weight on a low-calorie diet. Stop being low-calorie and you'll gain all the weight back.
    Don't expect to lose weight on a low-fat diet. Stop being low-fat and you'll just gain all the weight back.
    This times infinity.

How in the hell can someone gain weight back on a diet that they can't expect to lose weight on in the first place?

And of course you'll gain weight if you go off of any diet.

Why are those particular foods you list any more special for weight loss than other approaches?

OP, low carb can and does work. Yes, research is a good idea.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    More than low carb, the best results come from focusing on lean proteins, healthy fats and veggies, supplemented with occasional fruits and whole grains.

There is a long list of guidelines following this premise: South beach, Sonoma and Mediterranean diets are probably the most well known.
  • As far as low carb goes, just keep in mind that it is not some magical fat burning solution. All low carb is, is a tool to help you create a calorie deficit…

You are right. It is not magical. However, the high fat and moderate protein will make the OP feel satiated longer which will kill snacking urges. In addition, spikes in glucose trigger hunger.