Are my protein shakes hindering my weight loss?

Hi,I have been taking a protein shake on my workout days for almost 4 weeks.I use one scoop per day after a workout.I haven't seen any weight loss since then.Should I adjust the amount to half a scoop or quit using it all together?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Hi,I have been taking a protein shake on my workout days for almost 4 weeks.I use one scoop per day after a workout.I haven't seen any weight loss since then.Should I adjust the amount to half a scoop or quit using it all together?

The only way a protein shake is hindering your weight loss would be if the addition of the protein shake brings you over your needed calorie intake for the day. And at that point the issue would be too many calories in general.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    No type of food will hinder your weight loss, as long as you maintain a reasonable deficit.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Most likely not.

I find whenever I work out hard enough to need a recovery protein shake, I don't lose scale weight. I'm ok with that, though, as I'm losing inches.

Make sure you aren't eating above maintenance (what are you using to calculate burns? do you weigh/measure everything? things like that!)
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat ... look for changes in your body instead on the scale .... that's my tip :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat ... look for changes in your body instead on the scale .... that's my tip :)

No it doesn't.

To the op if the shake is putting you over your calorie budget and not in a deficit you will not lose. Simple as that.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member

The only way a protein shake is hindering your weight loss would be if the addition of the protein shake brings you over your needed calorie intake for the day. And at that point the issue would be too many calories in general.

Quoting a correct answer.
  • Hi. Can anybody offer me REAL advice. Ive been trying to lose weight for 4 months now with no results. Ive never had trouble dieting before. The difference now is, ive had a baby. Ive started on 700 cal a day diet and burning 300-400Cal a day on treadmill. Will this work?????
  • Supertact
    Hi. Can anybody offer me REAL advice. Ive been trying to lose weight for 4 months now with no results. Ive never had trouble dieting before. The difference now is, ive had a baby. Ive started on 700 cal a day diet and burning 300-400Cal a day on treadmill. Will this work?????

lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Hi. Can anybody offer me REAL advice. Ive been trying to lose weight for 4 months now with no results. Ive never had trouble dieting before. The difference now is, ive had a baby. Ive started on 700 cal a day diet and burning 300-400Cal a day on treadmill. Will this work?????

eat more, much much more... follow mfp, eat exercise cals back, and make sure you weigh solid foods with a kitchen scale, and liquids with measuring cups/spoons.
  • strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks for the replys.I do walk/jogs at least 4 times a week and I use a tracker for my burns.
  • 615katz555
    615katz555 Posts: 4 Member

Um, no!!!!! That is starvation mode..... You should never ever eat below 1200 though I've eaten 1500 a day since I started and I don't lose fast but I also don't gain.... I've lost over 36 inches... I now eat 1800 a day due to heavy exercise and still shrinking.... Eat!
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member

NO!!! A big NO! You are putting your body into starvation mode by eating too few calories. The whole reason why you aren't loosing weight is because your body thinks that "Hey, If I'm not getting enough food then I need to store as much as I can to reserve". Your body is in emergency mode, which can eventually lead to poor health! Get off of this plan now!!!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    How many calories are in your protein powder? My husband bought this stuff and it was 800 calories without the milk. I told him that it was for professional athletes and he would end up looking like a sumo wrestler. I bought him whey protien powder that is 120 calories. You could just drink chocolate milk after a workout and get the same result, but you still have to watch your calories.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

No. And if you want real advice, create your own thread requesting advice and include information like height, weight, and open your food diary instead of jumping into someone else's thread. Just go back to the list of topics in the forum and click on the green New Topic button in the upper right hand corner.

OP: It's not the shake, most likely you are over on your calories, although 4 days is a bit soon to see results.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    If anything, you might actually need to UP your protein intake and scale back on your other macros (i.e. carbs & fats). As long as you're staying in your caloric goals, protein is definitely NOT going to make you stop losing weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Protein shake does not entitle you to weight loss.

Calorie deficit is what does the trick.
  • Ive literally tried eating all sorts of different things. Just meat. No meat. Low carb. High protein. Nothing at all seems to be working for me???? Super confused as to why no weight loss still!
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member

No. Starving yourself (which is what you're effectively doing) may work in the short term but you'll feel like crap and as soon as you start eating again you'll put it all straight back on and then some.
  • strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    @Cookie, I use body fortress from walmart.It has 170 cal per scoop and at least 8 grams of protein.
  • Supertact
    @Cookie, I use body fortress from walmart.It has 170 cal per scoop and at least 8 grams of protein.

Than how would this hinder you, just make it fit in your calories for the day.