Working out aftergetting a tattoo

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but does anyone have specific experience working out after getting a leg tattoo?

I got a tattoo five days ago. It's about 5 - 6 inches tall, on my shin (closer to the ankle, but not in a spot where my gym shoes will rub against it), and I'm debating whether to hit the elliptical machine for cardio today. I'm already a little worried that there might be some ink bleed/blowout in certain spots, but I'm getting a little bit antsy to get back to the gym.

Google's not giving me any good answers either way.

If anyone has experience with working out after getting tattooed in a similar spot, I'd greatly appreciate some advice!

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    stick to things that don't move or irritate the skin too much and you should be fine. it's been 5 days, so you should be alright
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You should be ok but be careful that the sweat doesn't get into it. I would cover it up while you work out. Then clean it really good. I got one in July and was super careful for about 2 weeks afterwards.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Definitely try not to get sweat on it, especially within the first week. Just got a tattoo in January and my artist told me cool it on the exercise for at least one week. Try not to bend it, as well. Not sure where your tattoo is, but depending on the way the skin moves when you work out, it might irritate it. A tattoo takes longer to heal than we think--usually up to two full weeks.
  • lattafay
    lattafay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My tattooist recommended bepanthen, which he told me to apply thinly to the tattoo each day. It keeps the tattoo moist, which prevents it from scabbing and cracking and therefore preventing possible ink bleeding. It is also waterproof, which would help with the sweat issue too. I suppose you could use any fragrance free ointment provided you got the all clear from your tattooist. Hope this helps!
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh every time I add to my half sleeve I have to skip too much arm work. The tugging on the healing skin is not fun. Usually a week is good for me but everyone is different.
  • khkjkk
    Options
    Ohhhh every time I add to my half sleeve I have to skip too much arm work. The tugging on the healing skin is not fun. Usually a week is good for me but everyone is different.

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip my Legs day for the next week or two. I ended up doing the elliptical (low incline) yesterday for cardio, but had to stop early because it felt like I was beginning to irritate some of the lines.
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So I think this comes down to placement. I've gotten tattoos on my arms/forearms and worked out the next day.
    I would NOT cover it after the initial 2 - 4 hour wait time of getting a tattoo unless instructed by my artist, and even then they suggest that you only do it at night and at most for 3-4 days.

I wouldn't keep from working out because lets face it, you sweat in general anyway. If you're going to workout I would suggest washing it with warm soapy water, patting it dry and applying a thin coat of ointment (for the first 4 days) , if it's post 4 days you should be using a unscented hand lotion (lubriderm) up to 5-6 x per day up to two weeks.

The only thing you can't do while it heals are swimming and direct sun exposure, everything else just use your judgement, all else fails ask your artist.
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently working on a 3/4 sleeve. Monday I got the inside my arm worked on near the armpit and the next day I did my normal walking of 4 miles. I just tried not to move that arm too much because it rubbed a little. But bow 4 days later I can hardly even tell I got worked on.
  • khkjkk
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm following all the aftercare and keeping it clean/moisturized -- it looks fantastic and I love it. The sweat I can deal with because I shower right afterwards. I'm just not sure whether prolonged running / elliptical will tug at it or cause any damage in the first few weeks, since it is basically a wound (and considering the placement on my leg). The artist said I should be fine, but I'm a worrier; wasn't sure if people have had cases of exercising causing damage to the artwork.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I got my ribs tattooed I skipped workouts for about a week. Twisting and turning isn't necessarily the best for the healing process! But when I got my leg and wrist tattoos, I didn't miss a beat.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm following all the aftercare and keeping it clean/moisturized -- it looks fantastic and I love it. The sweat I can deal with because I shower right afterwards. I'm just not sure whether prolonged running / elliptical will tug at it or cause any damage in the first few weeks, since it is basically a wound (and considering the placement on my leg). The artist said I should be fine, but I'm a worrier; wasn't sure if people have had cases of exercising causing damage to the artwork.

I am a worrier too.. LOL.. I was more concerned with sweating (the pores opening) and releasing that precious ink! I didn't spend all that money to look faded out too soon.

Either way, sounds like you are good to go now. You should post pix!