When did you hit your first plateau?

Options
As I creep slowly closer to a healthy BMI, the weight is coming off more slowly. (4'11" SW:190, CW:143 YAAA!) I expected it to slow down but it has me wondering about plateaus now.

Did you ever hit a plateau? Multiple?

When did you're first one hit?

How did you break it?

Does everyone hit one eventually?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think I hit my first one after losing about 30lbs. To break mine I've just stuck with whatever I was doing before. Most people find that changing things up helps, but I was was always too lazy to do that and just stuck with the same diet & exercise routine and after a few weeks the weight always started coming off again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stalls are perfectly normal. I started stalling after a couple months, never changed anything and after a couple weeks I lost again... figured out it was linked to my menstrual cycle. I hit 2-3 weeks stalls every month now... totally normal.

If you don't lose for more than a month though, you're probably eating too much.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I was lucky and never did!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I hit my first real plateau right at the 50lb mark. I got past it but ever since then it's been a real battle to keep the weight dropping. Some of it is willpower issues and some of it is that the loss has just drastically slowed all of a sudden. I have to admit, it's very frustrating after that first 50 came off relatively easily.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've never hit a plateau but I have had periods where I have inadvertently eaten at maintenance levels

As soon as I've realised, I've reassessed my intake to eat at a deficit, and my weight has begun to drop again.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've hit so many plateaus during my weight loss!

The only thing that helps is to switch up what you're doing. If you're eating the same stuff everyday and exercising the same way every week, your body gets in a routine too.

Switch it up!
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've never hit a plateau but I have had periods where I have inadvertently eaten at maintenance levels

As soon as I've realised, I've reassessed my intake to eat at a deficit, and my weight has begun to drop again.

^^^^ This! I thought I had hit a plateau before... but come to realize I was just eating more than I had been... as soon as I reeled in my eating, I started losing again.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I hit my first one after only 8lbs. I was losing pretty regularly after I started lifting... and cut back on cardio....then hit a brick wall. This week I started walking everyday 20min and keeping a closer eye on my sugar intake and now I'm losing again. Good luck!
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I am on one right now, after 26lbs lost, seems I am stalled for a few weeks. It is kind of frustrating, but I am just sticking to it. I figure it has to work eventually as the first 26 was relatively easy. I knew there would be tough times so I am powering through it with out much change.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been plateau'd at my goal weight for about 5 months :) Never hit one while I was losing weight luckily.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any "serious" plateaus, IMO, since joining MFP last March.

A couple of situations I'd call mini-plateaus though...

I'd been on the site for about 2 1/2 months, lost nearly 20 lb, and was at an MFP recommended ~1480 or 1500 calories per day. I started a new job with really short lunch breaks and got in the habit of just having a kids Clif bar and/or some veggies for lunch. I was eating 1100-1300 calories daily and I totally stopped losing weight for 3 weeks. Like no drop...not even 0.2 lb. When I went back to my MFP recommended daily cals, I immediately went back to losing 1.5 per week.

Around Christmas (9 months on MFP and 50+ pound loss so far), I had some stressful situations in my life and along with the holidays I was eating a LOT of candy like truffles and fudge, and very little other food. Again my weight stalled. I didn't gain, but I did not lose for over 2 weeks including the one week of every month that I typically see my biggest loss (right before TOM). Although I generally don't worry that much about sugar in my macros, that made me more aware of hitting my more important macros like protein, fiber, etc, and not "starving" in order to eat ALL OF THE CANDY and stay under my calories.

I did have a year plus plateau prior to joining. I'd weighed 260-270 for a decade and suddenly gained a lot and shot up to my highest weight (307) and eating a bit better and walking MILES almost every night, I lost 35+ lb. But then when I got back to 270 it seemed that no matter what I did (not counting calories) I just stayed there. For WELL over a year. Because of that experience I do believe that most of us (some of us?) have a certain weight that our body sticks with and requires real change to get past.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    It was 1998, waiting in line outside the Louvre. He walked up to me in a black and white outfit, wearing gray face paint and a beret. He bagan acting as if he were in a box, yet wouldn't make a sound! After a minute he began moving closer and closer, I was becoming unnerved...

He moved closer until I was being overwhelmed by the reeking stench of Pont l’Eveque cheese and snails emanating from his stinking maw... I became unhinged, and unleashed my fury as was taught to me by the US Air Force. I hit that plateau over and over, bellowing, "These colors never run!!!"

By this point he was no longer muted, and was blubbering like a 'tween with front row Bieber tickets... I didn't speak 'Commie', and the sobs didn't help with the translation... I think he was trying to surrender, and I neither cared, nor was I surprised. To this day, I am not amused by Platel Plateau!

:Edited to correct typo:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I figure consistency is the key. I stay consistent meaning that if I'm over one day I don't try to compensate for it, I just stick to my goal. I haven't had a Plateau. Slowing down when closer to goal is normal so don't sweat it. Interestingly enough, a couple months ago I reduced my goal from 2500 to 2300 per day, and that slowed me down for several weeks, then I upped it to 2400 and my losses picked up like crazy.

Plateaus in the gym are another story, I have hit those and found the best way to overcome them is to simply push through.

Rigger
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOL at EddieHaskell9!

I hit my first about 2 weeks in. Like many, I'd set myself up to lose too fast for the amount I had to drop. I also was greatly underestimating my activity level. It was only when I realized both issues (reading these boards and adding a Fitbit) and upped my calories that my weight started dropping steadily.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck again now. You always hear the last 5 pounds are the hardest, and I well believe it. I'll just keep on going.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I hit my first weight plateau about six-months in. But to be serious I didn't have much of a plan and after hitting the plateau, my weight crept back up. Once I got serious about it, I hit the second plateau about 9 months later.

The second plateau was a weight plateau, not a size plateau. Even though I weighed the same or nearly so (at 187-190 pounds) for a year, I dropped four inches off my chest, four inches from my waist, four inches from my hips, two inches from my neck and a couple off my thighs and my arms. (Gave me some "flappy skin" that has taken a while to "tighten up." Sometimes it just isn't about the weight, its about the stuff underneath the skin and how that changes with time).

What I did to get beyond the "second" plateau: I stepped up the intensity of my cardio by 10% (I was doing 20,000 steps per day and I went to 22,000. I was walking up 15 flights of stairs per day according to my Fitbit and I stepped up to 25). It was a step change not a gradual increase. I also made a no-nonsense effort to be accurate about what I was eating (including buying a food scale). That took me down from around 190 pounds to 165 pounds. It took me 11 months to reach the 165 pounds. I considered that maintnenance. I stayed in that range for 8 months until I started running and training for a marathon and I put back a few pounds as I increased my mileage to more than 20 miles per week (the slow weight gain came once I was being able to run more than 12 miles in a single run).

Once I started running (last year) my weight stabilized and stays at a very constant range of 169-171 pounds. Even after the longest training runs of 26 miles or more, the weight doesn't vary by much.

Note:175 pounds was my second target after reaching the BMI "normal" target of 179 pounds. My body shape now is still changing slightly as I continue my running training though not as much as the year of plateau.

My current running level can be described as maintaining a status of "marathon ready" though I could run any other shorter race just on a whim.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Yup pretty much this, there have been time when ive not been 100% with my loggin and have eaten at maintenance with the unacounted calories, thus causing "plateaus" but when I got back to that 100% weight started coming off again.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting below 200 {which was really 205 I found out when I bought some good scales} I spent most of a month right around the same weight. It was around the holidays, and I'm in the hospitality business, so I eat with my customers a lot. Back then I wasn't on MFP {I joined less than a month ago} and only counted calories two days a week. I've lost over 45 pounds since September, and the first 30 were very easy. Since then it's been slower, but I'm still losing about 2 pounds a week. I've increased my workouts, and started counting all my calories since I'm logging on everyday.
  • rlbartle
    rlbartle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have hit a few plateaus (about once every 6 weeks), but I stuck to me routine and bagan lossing again. I have now hit a plateau that has lasted over 3 weeks. I have tried increase calories for a couple of days and added some strength training. Hoping that one day I will get off of this one.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I hit mine after April of last year. I lost 50lbs, and ended up losing motivation for some reason. I managed to only gain about 5-10lbs, and lose them over and over again, then gain them back, etc.

I ended up doubling down on eating right, logging, and exercising, and I'm nearly at 50lbs lost again. I got serious again about a month ago now, and it is working well. :)
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i've hit a few. Once I hit one, I changed things up. What worked during this portion of your journey may not work in the next one. I made a huge dent in my weight loss in just monitoring my diet, keep a food journal (MFP!!), portion control. Started to hit a plateau and then kept doing that be incorporated the gym more. Next plateau - changed my gym routine and adjusted calorie max. Sometimes you may need to tinker.

Ultimately burning more calories then you take in will always be the best way to go.