Hungry or Bored?

Options
I am trying to lose weight, and I have been doing a pretty good job. Of course, I HAD to have a Burger King sandwich and hash browns for breakfast this morning. It was like my craving completely took over and no amount of saying no to myself would stop me. I have been counting calories, which helps because I can see what I am eating and know how much I should eat. Even on days when I don't log my calories, I am still mindful of what I eat.

I have been drinking A LOT of water (6-10 glasses a day). So I know thirst is not the issue, however, since I have been drinking more water, I find myself thirsty more often. I keep a water bottle at my desk at all times and I have been keeping one in my car and carrying one around with me when I am out and about.

Senario: I had the evil fast food at about 8am, I take my lunch at one, and at about 1:30 I decided to go and grab a salad from the grocery store so I can count the calories easier. I also got a little 100 calorie pack of apples and caramel. When I get back to work, I realize my stomach doesn't feel hungry, but I am salivating and wanting the salad and apples. I went a head and drank half of my bottle of water and ate the apples, but I still want the salad, even 25 mins later.

My question is, am I hungry or bored? And how do you battle your boredom cravings? I work in a small office where I can get up and walk around, but for not long as my boss thinks I need to be at my desk at all times. The weather here has been very crappy, but when it gets better I would like to start taking walks on my 15 min breaks.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try and not eat for 6 or 7 hours one day so you can feel what hunger really feels like. When you're hungry, you'd be pretty much willing to eat anything. Or your stomach is growling. But it's a physical sensation. What you have is a craving.

Do you absolutely have to only eat when you're hungry though? For me, no. What you're describing happens to me all the time. I'm not hungry, but I want some food. And typically, I'll have it... in moderation. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as I stay under my calorie goal (but it also means I'll probably have to log forever because of that habit).
  • grrawritsjordi
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were having problems for a few weeks and I didn't eat for almost two weeks (lost a bunch of weight, but gained it right back), so I know what hunger feels like, I just can't let myself be hungry. Because of that stupid sandwich this morning, I am almost at my calorie cap for the day, so I am going to wait until around dinner to eat the salad. I am feeling a little hungry right now, however. Actual "hunger pains" so I may have to give in sooner. I just hate eating so late in the afternoon because I get hungry at 10pm and I hate eating that late.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in bed by 10pm to avoid that problem, lol. But I typically eat 3/4 of my calories by 2pm.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ... problems... didn't ... can't .... stupid ...hate ...hate ...

I'm gonna be a little zen here for a moment and suggest that you look at how negatively you talk about yourself and food. Food should be a positive (or at the least a neutral) experience. Yes, sometimes you have to deny yourself a second helping or forego your favorite dish -- and that sucks. But what I'm saying is, overall, food is a joy. And you sound so very negative about it. I know you're frustrated, but every now and then, try feeling positive about what you're doing and eating. Write things in a journal that are positive things about food. Like, I don't know, "I was craving a healthy salad" or "that apple tasted great." And as your brain gets used to feeling positive about your choices, maybe you'll feel better overall.

Just my two cents.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this same thing ALL the time. I definitely will eat even if I'm not hungry. Bored, stressed, tired, all results in snacking for me. My body doesn't need the calories, but my brain wants them. Especially in the afternoon at work, or at night after my kids go to bed and I'm trying to veg out for an hour or so to settle down for bed. Here's my tips when you're feeling snacky without the hunger pangs:

1) Make yourself some coffee or tea (just be mindful of what you put in it that will add calories - a few tsp of sugar is no biggie, but a 350 calorie latte defeats the purpose). That way you're getting some flavor, too, instead of plain water. I also find that a hot beverage works better than, like, a diet soda or some Crystal Lite or something, but that's just me.
    2) Chew gum. This actually doesn't do a lot for me, but it works for some people.
    3) Take a walk. Even just a trip around your office or a few trips up and down the stairs at home, or whatever.
    4) Keep low cal snacks on hand that you like but aren't your most favorite-est thing in the world. If you're not hungry enough to eat that grapefruit or celery and yogurt dip, then you're not really hungry.
    5) Plan out your day ahead of time to both (a) reduce or eliminate things like this morning where you found yourself eating 3/4 of your daily calories in a fast food breakfast - unless that's what you want and you've planned for it, and (b) structure it so that you've got multiple snacks built into your day. Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss in general, but if it helps you stick to your goal to have a morning piece of fruit and string cheese and an afternoon yogurt and nuts planned into your day that you can eat when you feel like eating without exceeding your calories, then that's only a good thing.
    5) Practice makes perfect in terms of self-control. Really listen to your body and learn to recognize boredom vs. hunger. This might take some time for sure, but the more easily you can recognize it, the more easily you can combat it by using one of the tips above (or whatever works for you) or just straight up talking yourself out of it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

I'm gonna be a little zen here for a moment and suggest that you look at how negatively you talk about yourself and food. Food should be a positive (or at the least a neutral) experience. Yes, sometimes you have to deny yourself a second helping or forego your favorite dish -- and that sucks. But what I'm saying is, overall, food is a joy. And you sound so very negative about it. I know you're frustrated, but every now and then, try feeling positive about what you're doing and eating. Write things in a journal that are positive things about food. Like, I don't know, "I was craving a healthy salad" or "that apple tasted great." And as your brain gets used to feeling positive about your choices, maybe you'll feel better overall.

Just my two cents.

I'm going to second this, too. Fighting emotional eating (yes, boredom is an emotion) requires some mental effort, too. It's a lot easier to avoid hitting the vending machine or whatever if you can learn how to center yourself and just say "it's ok. The food will always be there if I want it. Dinner is coming in XX minutes and I know it's going to be delicious. Let me focus on my task at hand instead of what is or isn't going into my mouth right now." It can be difficult when you're working in the minutiae of counting calories to take yourself out of that "food food diet deficit food log food" zone, but for some people and/or situations, it's a necessary thing.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat out of boredom/habit/craving. I have trouble recognizing hunger, so that's basically my main motivation for eating anything. It's also good that you're trying to figure out why you're eating instead of just snacking mindlessly every time you feel like it (not that snacking is intrinsically bad.)
    Anyway, the best thing you can do is to try to distract yourself-- tell yourself that you're going to work and be productive for 45 minutes and then you can have a break, or watch an episode of something and focus on just that instead of eating. If it's a specific taste, try either making tea (you can add stevia for sweetness with no calories :D and there are some chocolate/apple cider/etc. tisanes). Go for a walk-- it will burn calories and give you something to do. It works for me.
    Also, a salad is not the worst thing you could be craving :P you could also try celery, or if you want to snack without guilt you can cut up lots of vegetables (cucumber, peppers, etc.) and eat as many as you like. I put salt and sometimes pepper on them, so if you think vegetables are boring or whatever that can help.
    Good luck!
  • maganann1
    Options
    I am right there with ya! ugh the loud voice in my head, go grab a cheese burger and fries, get taco bell on your way home, etc..

I am on day 4 of using this system and only lost 2 lbs and i have soooo much more to go. Its a struggle. I need to find recipes that fit: FILLING, GOOD, QUICK & EASY

I have 2 nights out of the week that i work late and the rest are early mornings. I have 3 kids, that i still need to make meals for, so any tips or recipes, is much appreciated!

Good Luck to all....MIND OVER MATTER, right!
  • grrawritsjordi
    Options

Just my two cents.

You know, as I was typing this out, I felt like my tone was really negative. I guess I was just really frustrated with myself for getting the fast food and shoving it in my face. I have been on the struggle bus recently, especially not being able to go to the gym this whole week due to conflicts in my schedule. However, I got on the scale this morning and I am down 2 lbs from last week... I have completely cut out soda, which I think it the real helper in this. I used to sit and drink 2 at work at one at home every day. And sometimes on the weekends I would drink 5-6 with hardly any exercise. I do know that I need to be proud of those accomplishments. I did slip and have a soda the other night with a piece of pizza (that I had budgeted for in my counter) and I felt bad after, but I was able to chalk it up to a little bump and didn't get too upset about it.

I think my biggest thing is that I asked my boyfriend to be my "coach" and he is getting a little out of control. Haha. It is getting to the point where I don't even tell him what I am eating most of the time. (We live in separate cities and only see each other on the weekends and maybe once during the week.) When I asked him to give me a little wiggle room, because I am just starting out (trying to get the calories down first, then working on the healthier foods), he said I asked him to be hard on me. I'm like "NOT THIS HARD!" haha.

Really, I don't see food as a negative. In fact, I LOVE food. I love to eat. I have never, and will never see eating as a negative thing. I think my reason for the tone was my frustration with myself over the breakfast meal, and then feeling hungry so soon after(or what I felt was so soon). No worries, though. I didn't go much over my calories and ended up having a little dance party at a friend's house. Mood improved.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ... I felt bad after, but I ... didn't get too upset about it.

... frustration with myself ... ended up having a little dance party at a friend's house. Mood improved.

This sounds MUCH more balanced than your original post :)

Basically though, eating a breakfast sandwich probably shouldn't make you feel bad, is what I'm saying.

As long as it fits into your overall calories for the day or week, then ENJOY THAT DARN SANDWICH. Enjoying food is what makes life worth living. Enjoy the sandwich. But, then recognize that it won't "satisfy" you long term, as you've learned. As time goes on, those breakfast sandwiches will just start to seem not worth the bother. But it takes time. In the meantime, stay positive. Enjoy the food you eat..