I start the day great, but it goes downhill ....

Options
Hi, all, I start everyday doing a pretty good job. I exercise in some form at least 6x per week. I eat a decent breakfast and lunch, but it seems by 3ish I am looking for a cookie. Dinner starts on a good note, but I always go for the "extra" and then crave dessert. Sometimes I really wonder why I even exercise. Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• OneImaginaryGirl
    OneImaginaryGirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same... really good all day, but by dinner it is out the window. :(
  • arsook
    arsook Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I am a late afternoon and night eater, so for the last month I have been working out every night an hour or two at the gym. When I get home I am a bit hungry but easily able to eat just a little bit before I go to sleep.
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    are you depriving yourself of certain foods? if i do that it just makes me want them more so i do everything in moderation. if you want a cookie everyday, have the cookie - just make sure you fit it into your calories :smile:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating three big meals a day, perhaps you could add some snacks into your food plan. Adding 200 or so calories of something high protein like light string cheese, cottage cheese, peanut butter with carrots or celery, something like that, about 1/2 an hour before you're most likely to crave that cookie, might help. It might also stop the desire to overeat in the evenings.

You don't say how calorie restricted your eating plan is but you may not be getting enough calories or protein or something.
  • mwa2801
    Options
    Try to have smaller meals in the day and then one big one (within your calories and diet) at night. Just keep thinking how great you'll be and look if you keep doing it. Time and pressure moves mountains.
  • cmendoza13
    Options
    Try to keep that long term goal in mind, that's what helps me. And if you have to have that cookie or extra serving, try to add in an extra workout. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Try to go for lower fat/calorie options of your favorite foods, that way you won't feel like you're depriving yourself and it's not too terrible if you have a little extra.

Good luck!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating three big meals a day, perhaps you could add some snacks into your food plan. Adding 200 or so calories of something high protein like light string cheese, cottage cheese, peanut butter with carrots or celery, something like that, about 1/2 an hour before you're most likely to crave that cookie, might help. It might also stop the desire to overeat in the evenings.

You don't say how calorie restricted your eating plan is but you may not be getting enough calories or protein or something.

My thoughts, too. The more I restrict myself, the more likely I am to fail later in the day. I tend to do better when I keep myself well fed until 3-4. If I do that, I'm not as hungry at night.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat in the evening too. I curb this by planning out every single thing I want to eat. I don't always end up eating everything I plan out, but I usually do. It really helps me with overeating. So I know I have something to look forward to, you know?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you eating within your calorie goal (I ask because many thing they need to come in under goal - not necessary, the calorie deficit is already built in)? Are you eating back at least half of earned exercise calories (if not, you should be)? Are you making sure you get plenty of protein and healthy fats (both of which help you stay full longer than carbs, especially simple ones)? Drinking plenty of water?

Opening up your diary may help us give more specific advice.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try to plan out your day so that you have more space for food in the evening? Of course, as long as you don't end up starving yourself during the morning prior to your dinner. Remember this is not a diet, it's a life style change, you need to do the things that you know you can stick with always. So if you know yourself and know you tend to eat more in the evenings, try to have more space for the evenings. You don't need to deprive yourself, you can have a treat and to lose weight just make sure you stay within calories.