Happy Hanukkah! Any Jews out there?

Options
Hey everyone!

We're coming into the second night of Hanukkah and I'm about to start in on my family recipe for Matzo Ball Soup (having done the Latkes last night) and I was wondering how many other people out here were celebrating the ol' festival of lights? Anyone have any good Hanukkah recipes that aren't terrible for you? What's your favorite Hanukkah treat?

Just putting out the call to the Jews, making sure you all have a (no matter how you spell it)...

f35x7.jpg

Replies

• mamayoga
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah to you too!

I always have latkes with applesauce. My Mom's recipe: cook apples (with skins on) & mash in the food mill. No added sugar or spices. Tastes wonderful! Oh, and she'd always throw in a plum or red grapes to make it pink. :smile:
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    Sorry no recipes and not Jewish but wanted to wish you a Happy Hanukkah
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah!!
    I don't know ANY Jews so this excited me a little :D
  • skinnyack
    Options
    well... I don't really Qualify as I was raised just believing in a higher power that somewhat resembles the Christian God... But my fiance is Jewish and we are going up to his parents house to celebrate this weekend! I am excited because we will be celebrating two different dinners with different relatives (although I heard one person is having margaritas at theirs also- haha- not sure how traditional that makes it!)

I've been to a cedar (probably didn't spell that right) dinner with a boyfriend in high school which I loved matza ball soup- so I'm hoping there is more of that! YUM!

As far as my dating history, what can I say? I love me some chosen ones!:love:

Happy Hannakuh!
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi MTD,
    My name is Shoshannah, I'm here. I made Latkes last night too. I ate a few and paid for it later. I haven't really been eating fried food, so my body was like what the? Anyway, I know there are many more to come - you can use egg whites in place of whole eggs in most recipes or egg substitute. My mom make spinach latkes too (she allergic to potatoes). I also try and make plenty of veges to choose from. Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower. I love Latkes, but I also love Soufganiyot (my mom orders them special every year from a local bakery - this year if I have one it will be only half, I'll share the other half with my 4 year old. I also sometimes make homemade applesauce - it's so easy to make and my family loves it. I've found some low fat recipes on the net, but growing up in a traditional Jewish home - smaltz is it, matzah balls, chopped liver, derma - oy!

Have a very Happy Hanukkah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you get anything to share, let me know. I'll do the same.
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Found this recipe - sound like a lot of work, but if you love to bake and cook....

Low Fat Israeli Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts
    Healthy Holiday Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 package dry yeast (1 scant tablespoon)
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup lukewarm water
    3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (approximately)
    1 cup lukewarm skim milk
    1 large egg
    1 egg yolk
    Pinch of salt
    Grated zest of one lemon
    3 tablespoons reduced fat butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup apricot jam (approximately)
    Confectioner's or granulated sugar for rolling

Directions:
    Dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the water.

Put the flour in the bowl of a food processor equipped with a steel blade. Add the dissolved yeast, milk, egg, egg yolk, salt, lemon zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Process until blended. Add the butter and process until the dough becomes sticky yet elastic.

Remove the dough to a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for at least an hour. If you want to prepare the dough in advance, place it in the refrigerator overnight, then let it warm to room temperature before rolling and cutting.

Grease 2 cookie sheets. Dust a pastry board with flour. Roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using the top of a glass as a cutter, cut into rounds about 2-inches in diameter and roll these into balls. Place the balls about 1 to 1-1/2-inches apart on the greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise 30 minutes more.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 15 minutes or until they're golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Soften the jam in a food processor. Using an injector (available at cooking stores), insert a teaspoon of jam into each doughnut. Roll the soufganiyot in confectioner's or granulated sugar and serve immediately.

This recipe makes 24 Low Fat Israeli Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts.

Nutrition information per doughnut:
    Calories: 114
    Total Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 17mg
    Sodium: 37mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 0g
    Dietary Fiber: 0g
    Protein: 2g
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I need to get my sister's mother-in-law's recipes for latkes. She not only made the traditional potato ones, but also out of cauliflower (yum), mushrooms, sweet potatoes... almost any veggie. I'm sure those can be slightly healthier and they're so good!

Happy Hanukkah!
  • MTDork87
    MTDork87 Posts: 205
    Options
    You guys are great, Jews and Non-Jews alike, I feel less lonely now! I had wonderful Matzo Ball Soup tonight and I may tackle a koogle tomorrow!

Neliel - The cake is indeed a lie :-)

Boomsmom - Thanks for the jelly doughnuts. I love to cook but I'm not much of a baker. I may try them though, I'll let you know!

Happy Second Night everyone!