Are you a lefty or a righty?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm weird. I'm not ambidextrous, but I do a number of similar things with both hands.

I play guitar righty. But I play bass both lefty and righty.

I swing a golf club righty. But I swing a baseball bat both righty (primarily) and lefty (for wiffle ball). I also shoot a hockey puck both lefty (when in goal) and righty (all other times).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Lefty for fine motor skills, like eating, writing, shooting pool.

Righty for large motor skills, like sports, fishing and driving.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Righty in so many ways:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp1hXl81D7t2sS3n-JRMaWhlRrO7RQgxXyqUikFWhcD0MOPVvJlA
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    For the most part I am a righty but pretty efficient with my left hand for most things.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I am "Mixed-handed" - which means, I do some things with my left and some things with my right, and I can do some things with either - but most tasks i cannot do equally well with both. For example - I eat and write with my left hand, and I can eat and write with my right hand, but not nearly as well.

i think true "ambidextrous" means you can do tasks equally with either hand.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lefty! I use my left side for pretty much everything. I can eat with my right hand, but I don't like to. I use the mouse with my right hand, and I use a can opener with my right hand. Everything else is done with my left.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm a lefty. (:

I do everything with my left hand except when it comes to pleasure. My left hand is stupid when it comes to that.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Righty
  • nicolabarratt267
    Options
    I'm left-handed but I use right-handed scissors. I used to eat with my knife in my left hand and fork in my right when I was a child, but my parents didn't think it was 'proper' and so I had to get used to using them the other way round.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i'm always right.

smug.gif
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Righty, right here!!
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm a lefty although I use a mouse with my right hand and my cutlery is the right handed way because my parents didn't realise that I was left handed for quite a while (so observant - not!)
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ambidextrous Here as well but Im all over the place because my dominant writing hand is Left but for sports its right. I just ping pong around! LOL
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Ambidextrous too, broke my right hand and had to use my left! now I can use both equally
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    <--- righty for everything except dribbling a basketball and er, 'personal care' (i broke my R arm when i was 9 when we were learning basketball in PE and had to learn to do a couple of things w/ L).

my 8-y.o. cousin is a source of interest and concern for myself and the rest of my family: he's a natural lefty, but they taught him to write right-handed. he's a little sports stud (my ex got his baseball hooks in him, wants to turn him into the next mickey mantle) and has fantastic eye-hand coordination, bats lefty, hits well, plays soccer too. he doesn't seem to be doing well in school. :frown: doesn't like it, doesn't like to read, seems dyslexic, has difficulty with math, too. he's working with a tutor a couple of days a week. i'm wondering if there is any correlation between left-handedness and dyslexia...
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Righty
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I did a handedness test at uni in a neurobiology lecture.... I'm ambidextrous but neither hand is as dextrous as a handed person's dominant hand. Most people score more than 20 in their dominant hand and less than 10 in their non-dominant hand... I scored 14 with one hand and 15 with the other.

I don't have a dominant eye either. Even though I have keratoconus in one eye (so one eye has significantly better vision than the other), in terms of stereoscopic vision, neither eye is dominant. This, apparently, is the reason why I tend to walk into stuff like door frames.

skills that have to be practiced a lot, I pick one hand and practice with that hand, so certain skills I'm a lefty, others I'm a righty, some I'm equally good at either:

writing on paper: right hand is neater and faster
    writing on something big like a whiteboard: no difference
    typing: I touch type so use both hands together, before I learned to do that I'd one finger type with one hand and when it got tired switch to the other and was equally good with either.
    guitar: righty.
    golf and ice hockey: lefty
    cricket: righty - but I should have been taught cricket left handed because I naturally grip a bat etc the left handed way, but my dad always corrected my grip rather than correcting my stance to a lefty stance
    eating: equally good with either hand
    judo: I could fight equally as comfortably left handed or right handed, and switched frequently during fights just to confuse my opponent.
    arm wrestling: left arm is stronger
    fencing: I couldn't do fencing at all because my natural inclination is to fight with both hands, and to switch hands as per the situation, and you can't do that in fencing. so sod fencing. I'll stick to forms of fighting that require two hands.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I write left-handed, and therefore eat left-handed but I do practically everything else with my right hand. It was quite problematic in high school gym class because I both throw and catch with my right hand. I solved that tiny issue based on the fact that I can catch better left-handed than I can throw left-handed. Throwing left-handed was a disaster.

I am a bowler and bowl right-handed. I golf once a year with work and golf right-handed.

Definitely right dominant. My right eye is more dominant as well.