Snowed In - Feeling Sorry For Myself! :(

Options
complete disaster
cannot get to my local curves
no motivation to exercise here
a foot of snow outside the door
trip to the grocery shop was terrifying, sliding all over the place
snowed in for another week at least, ill be 10 pounds heavier before Christmas ever gets here :(
we are not used to this much snow here in Ireland, help :sick:

dunno how to even start to reverse all the damage im doing, and starting to feel down again, i have been ok for the last 6 weeks or so and can feel myself slipping into sadness again :brokenheart:

my birthday is on Sunday and Xmas this year is with my family, i swore i would be 10 pounds lighter this time last year, why do i feel so bad and self sabotage all the time?!

:explode:

Replies

• mhinman
    Options
    Want to work off the food - Snow shoveling burns lots of calories. Last year we had record snows and that is when I had the best success...

Do the next right thing! :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Shovel some snow, it's a great work out.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't beat yourself up. Do you know that shoveling snow is a great way to exercise?? Check it out on the exercise tab! Takes a lot of muscles too. LOL. I'm sure you have lost inches? I think that is more noticable sometimes then the actual pounds. Keep thinking one day at a time.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Throw away all cookies, crackers, or snacky foods in your house!

bordem= craving carbs= mindless eating.

Go to bodyrock.tv or another fitness based website and do some videos from your computer.

:-( Sorry about the snow!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    First of All Happy Birthday! Don't worry about loosing that 10lbs for Christmas. Start by changing you mindset. Thats why we're all here. We can help. Can you go outside? Maybe do a little shoveling to burn some calories? Start by cutting out one carb a day. Pick the meal. Do a few exercises using you own weight. Talk with friends and folks here on the boards. Look at their stories. Remember everone has felt this way. You change your mindset, start by doing small things, you will see results, those results will motivate you and those pounds will come off.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about shovelling snow. We got our first big dump here a few weeks ago and my HRM calculated that I burned almost 500 calories in 45 minutes of shovelling!! My arms hurt for days afterwards! Its a great workout!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Always have a fitness DVD for times like these. :)

Shovel snow! You'll burn a ton of calories!
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When it started getting colder here and I no longer wanted to go out I got online and came up with an exercise plan of situps, pushups ect that i did while I watched tv so that I was doing something productive.. I have noticed that when I am exercising I tend to eat less and feel better about being stranded .. I hope all goes well.. God Bless and don't give up we are all in the battle together.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep, shovel the snow then when you're done pop over to Edinburgh as I've got an office no one can get into. Then Dundee, then Darlington, then Nottingham. Plenty to get stuck into.... :happy:

If you need motivation to start then go and find a mirror, look at yourself and say 'I am great', :happy: then again with a smile, then again louder, then again in a serious voice, then again in a menacing voice, then again in a silly voice, then again in a big smiley happy happy voice. When you're finished do some star jumps whilst shouting out totally random or made or words. Always works for me, never fails to put a smile on my face :laugh:
  • debbieemmett
    Options
    im too snowed in....as for shovelling...errrr no thanks..lol....ive not fallen off the wagon, im slowly loosing the 1lbs and thats what keeps me focused....and im now buying the next size down clothes...and loving it....keep motivated, dont loose sight....you can and will do it...the snow will soon pass....put ya music on and have a jig around, ...good luck...
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    Lol...I know what you mean..I need some sun during this time of year..or I get depressed! There is actually some sort of disorder that causes depression during this time of year....my suggestion...hit the tanning bed for a few minutes...if you feel a bit more energized, AWESOME, if you don't, at least you tried...
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    As many have already said...clear the walk of snow for a great workout.

Then do some free-lunges, squats and pushups at home in the living room. That's all you need really.

Go out and build a snowman...that'll burn some calories as well!

Make snow angels in the yard or randomly around the neighbourhood!

Warm yourself with some hot apple cider and cinnamon.

People survived for centuries without being able to get to a Curves or gym. Just go out and play and you'll be feeling good in no time! :-)
  • doris_day
    Options
    Stop reading MFP right now and do 50 situps, 10 squats and 15 pushups - I'll do them with you! It's 19 degree wind chill where I'm at but no snow. I don't feel like doing anything either.

You can do this! You can do this!

I'm off to do the exercises!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    losing weight is totally a mindset thing. You need to think about what you can do, shovel snow, build a snowman, maybe sledding. walking in the snow burns calories. If you dont want to go outside then check out exercisetv on youtube for some great workouts, watch some of your favorite tv shows and tell yourself that during the commercials you will get up and walk in place, do jumping jacks do something. If you have the munchies just be careful what you are munching popcorn, rice cakes, apples with peanut butter these are always great things to munch. Get on here for motivation look up some of the success stories also go on youtube and look up some weightloss stories. And this is a great time to make a big pot of soup, soup is low cal and very comforting. Good Luck, You can do it.........come on put down that cookie and get moving
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I used to feel like I was 'spiraling' all the time. Then I realized that I don't have a crystal ball and can not see into the future. Don't let your fear of a future that may or may not happen affect the present moment. These 'fears' are not real. Even if they happened in the past, that does not mean that they will happen again. Your past doesn't dictate your present. Your future is not yet written. You are writing it now. In this moment. In the present.

Tell yourself a different story (since we're lying to ourselves anyway...might as well make it a good story) about how you were snowed in and loved yourself so much that you wanted to do nothing more than take care of this amazing body. It is amazing right now, as it is, but it also loves to move. Since this body can't get to curves, tell yourself a story about all the fun things you did while you were snowed in.

As for the sabotage...been there. Bottom line is staying fat worked more for me than losing weight. Having food for comfort was more important to me than changing my life (even if I told myself that I really wanted to change my life). Actions speak louder than words and my actions will told me what I really believed. You CAN stop sabotaging yourself (I did), but you need to figure out why the pull of food and inactivity is so strong and why you are scared of giving up the benefits of the over-eating and/or inactivity.

You can do this and we're all here for you!

Charmagne
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    i know the feeling! ireland is not not able to cope with snow, its a disaster im in the same boat in ireland too, except im not snowed in i go walking the dog in it, admittedly slower then usual but thats all i cant even motivate myself to do my wii fit, am so hungry and wanting to eat all the time and wil be up weight fast before i know it, just trying to motivate myself by thinking of christmas parties and wanting to look good at them if i can get to them if the snow ever goes away to the countries it supposed to be in! think positive and try do little things to keep going. best of luck!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone, i guess i am just feeling down about everything today :huh: