marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    average of 1lb per week = no results?

I suggest changing your expectations.

This. You are having results.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I've tried dairy free too. That was one of the things I tried. It's very difficult to be 100% dairy free, but I did achieve it and found that for me, processed grains were causing the problems.

This forum states that no ones opinion should be taken as professional medical advice. There's really no need to remind everyone of that. I'm kind of confused. Is this how posting on these forums always goes? People think you're stating the LAW for sharing what's worked for you, and have to attack back at you for having the nerve to offer your advice and help. The post title says "HELP!" Why not offer help?

Yes, true.. the forum does state that no one's opinion should be taken as professional advice. And yet, that's what people do here. They do take people's advice - both good advice and bad.

The OP has seen an average weight loss of 1lb per week for three weeks and was bothered by it. 1lb per week is an AWESOME SUCCESS. And (in my uneducated opinion) a much healthier success than 2lb/week.

Your response was:
    That's crazy! Have you tried being gluten and processed grain free? That sounds like a lot of vegetables to help you with any inflammation problems you might have. Don't eat 'diet' foods. They're horrible for inflammation. I love the Atkins bars and Diet Mountain Dew and sugar free Russell Stover's chocolates! But when I eat them, I see NOOOOO results. Just steady weight, with no loss. Okay, I realize that may not be anything you're doing. Just trying to think of anything that could possibly help. Oh, and I mentioned gluten and processed grains, because I have to give those up in order to lose weight. My body just can't handle them. It loves them so much it wants to keep them all forever in a nice cushy padding across my mid section. They also cause my intestines to become inflamed and swollen.

Start putting fresh lemon or lime juice in your water, if you don't already. And drink one glass with some organic apple cider each day.

NOTE: Emphasis in quote is mine

- "That's crazy" implies that 1lb a week loss average is NOT a good thing.
    - then you suggest severe restriction in diet in order to help OP lose more than that...

people reacted to that because many people come onto this site believing that weight loss has to be so hard and restrictive and misery inducing. So they don't believe that tracking and eating calories within an acceptable range (for the average person) WILL actually yield results.

As such, when someone says... ERMAGERD stop eating all the foods that are derived from animals with cloven hooves... (<~~~ sarcasm there) Those people who are trained to believe it must be hard, think... ahhhh now THAT makes sense! THAT is why I haven't been losing. I must be allergic!

Your experiences did work for you, and there is nothing wrong with sharing them. I guess people jumped on the way in which you shared them.

in an extreme metaphor comparison...
    Pretend Extreme diet restriction is a hot element
    Pretend the OP is a child
    Pretend the experienced users are an adult supervising the child
    Pretend that someone says, hey, maybe touch the element

Adult yells NO! DON'T TOUCH! And quite possibly overreacts, even if the child had no intention of touching, and even if the person wasn't intending for the child to touch the element, but maybe just warm their hands over the heat some.

I know, it's a stretched metaphor, but it works in my crazy noggin
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    She asked for advice and we all give advice based on what has worked for us. I'm amazed at how defensive and irrate people become when you mention going off of grains. It was only a suggestion for someone seeking answers.

Anyway, someone asked me how I know my intestines were swollen and inflamed:

I go from having a flat stomach to a pregnant looking one every time I start eating wheat gluten, corn and other processed grain flours. My body just doesn't tolerate them well. It usually takes a few days of going off of them for it to go back down to normal size again. The longer I eat it, the worse it becomes. I also begin having frequent stomach pains, discomfort, heartburn and begin to feel arthritic, have bad circulation and suffer from heart palpitations and dizzy spells when I'm eating a consistent processed-grain-filled diet. I've tested negative for celiacs disease, but believe I have an intolerance to grain glutens or perhaps carb overload. The exhaustion that just won't shake itself off of me, is something that I just can't live with. So I ignore the doctor who's only seen me once, got a negative test result and doesn't care to listen to me or investigate further. I do what my body needs me to do. I do consume grains sometimes, but when I do, I try to eat only the actual wheat berries that I've cooked myself. Feel free to look at my blog www.poshglutenfreelife.blogspot.com I've been paying close attention to my body's reaction to processed grains for the last six years and can't deny that it has a bad effect on me.

160 oz. Juliegirl, is that the right amount of water for your weight? It is possible to give yourself a chemical imbalance with too much water. Just a thought: Water intoxication: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

She wasn't having any issues that would suggest a gluten intolerance.

It's important that the advice you give is relevant to the OP. She's doing fine and losing 1 lb per week. She doesn't report bloat, pain/fatigue, or ibs-like symptoms.
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss is always frustrating. But, it's the best way to go. I try to remind myself that I am more than a number on the scale. You could be losing inches and fat, but gaining muscle. So, don't give up. I found that while I changed to healthier choices in food, the choices I made were higher in fat. I have to constantly watch how many nuts I really eat for a snack or how much peanut butter I have with my apple. It sneaks up on me. Then, one year I had my metabolism tested and it helped me to determine my current caloric intake. I found out my metabolism was lower than average. I was able to increase my metabolism by increasing my muscle mass. Wish I was back at that old weight, but alas, I'm older and can't say much wiser!! LOL Good luck!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Thank you, repliers. Start was 182, goal 135 but will be satisfied with 140. I did four weeks calorie counting with this tool, and with exercise stayed At 1200 net calories. I was not getting the estimated 1.8 lb weekly loss I hoped so transitioned to low carb to see if that would help. Thanks for the encouragement and to know 1 lb is both realistic. And (perhaps) healthier. I have a history of alcoholism so that may be playing a part, too. I'll keep at it. Thanks again.

An estimated 1.8 lb weekly loss might not be realistic however, trying different things like low carb might be just the thing to boost the weight loss a bit. There are a lot of little things that may or may not make a difference like exercising on an empty stomach (after a fast) to force the body to burn fat, drinking black coffee on an empty stomach, time of exercise (morning to burn fat, afternoon to build endurance), drinking water with lemon first thing in the morning, not drinking water with a meal (slows digestion) and a whole host of these types of things to try. Some may or may not work for you. As long as you are losing, you are doing something right AND that's all that matters.