"Never supposed to eat below your BMR?"

Options
I've seen a few threads on this and am super confused now.
I am 18, 5'6, 275 (bleh) and have a BMR of 2,076.
MFP has me eating 1,550 calories a day, on THEIR calculations.
Am I not eating enough?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Since you're so overweight, the BMR thing doesn't as much apply to you.

What's your TDEE? Do you know? Use this http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ or this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

MFP will give you more calories to eat if you log exercise calories. Do you exercise?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Since you're so overweight, the BMR thing doesn't as much apply to you.

What's your TDEE? Do you know? Use this http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ or this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

MFP will give you more calories to eat if you log exercise calories. Do you exercise?

I do, but I feel like it's too minimal to log and/or eat back the calories. I'm still recovering from 2 years of knee surgery, so it's most physical therapy exercises and weightless strength training.

It said my TDEE was 2,450?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    People don't understand what constitutes too few calories and myths like "don't eat below your BMR" get started. If you aren't getting ample nutrients then you're eating too little. If you're eating at such an aggressive deficit that your body cannot pull enough energy from your fat stores to make-up the deficit, then you're eating too little - but understand that that threshold is not your BMR.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So you don't do any walking or anything? It's ok, I'm not judging. Just trying to get an idea of where you're at.

If your average daily TDEE is 2,450, and you're more than 100 lbs overweight, I suggest eating TDEE-20% for the next 6 months or so. So that's 1960 every day. If you do exercise and you're a little hungry, have a snack or something. But stick with an average of 1960 every day if you can.

See how it goes. I think the key for you will be consistently measuring and eating at that goal for a while. But if you start to add more exercise, my suggestion would change.

I _DO_ recommend lifting weights and walking, and taking a daily vitamin. You can do it. I started at 240 lbs.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So you don't do any walking or anything? It's ok, I'm not judging. Just trying to get an idea of where you're at.

If your average daily TDEE is 2,450, and you're more than 100 lbs overweight, I suggest eating TDEE-20% for the next 6 months or so. So that's 1960 every day. If you do exercise and you're a little hungry, have a snack or something. But stick with an average of 1960 every day if you can.

See how it goes. I think the key for you will be consistently measuring and eating at that goal for a while. But if you start to add more exercise, my suggestion would change.

I _DO_ recommend lifting weights and walking, and taking a daily vitamin. You can do it. I started at 240 lbs.

I walk like 45 minutes each way to get to classes o: But since it's not super strenuous I don't usually count it.
    I know I can do it c; I've done it before. Will be doing my best not to *kitten* it up this time.
    Thanks for explaining the technical crap to me xD
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're not eating enough? Literally, do you have a lack of energy, feel light headed, etc? Like WBB55 said, since you do have a larger amount of weight to lose, being at a larger deficit is not a bad thing for you. However, you could eat anywhere between what MFP has you at and just below your TDEE and still lose weight, just how fast it happens will change. Remember to recalculate your calorie needs every 10-15lbs. you lose as your BMR and TDEE will change. Good luck!

ETA: Was typing my response while WBB55 gave you more advice. She is pretty much spot on!
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at such an aggressive deficit that your body cannot pull enough energy from your fat stores to make-up the deficit, then you're eating too little - but understand that that threshold is not your BMR.

Well said!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at such an aggressive deficit that your body cannot pull enough energy from your fat stores to make-up the deficit, then you're eating too little - but understand that that threshold is not your BMR.

Well said!

I concur as well, and the more overweight you are the further under BMR you will be safe eating. If you are lean it is probably a good starting point, but nothing magical with it.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    "Don't eat below your BMR" is a good general rule and is not without its exceptions. From what I've seen, MFP's system works well for people who are very overweight, but it does NOT work well for people who are young, so I wouldn't trust their calculations perfectly. I would go with the person suggesting TDEE - 20%, that seems like an appropriate level to eat at.