Scared to try a new size

Options
Sooooo.... I know this sounds really strange but I have been in size 14 pants for a while now. They seemed to have fit when I was 189lbs and through the 170s too. But now I am finding that they are getting quite loose. Like, even the stretchy ones that are size 14 are too loose. Last night I went to Value Village to get a couple pairs of pants cause I am not going to buy new if I am just gonna lose more weight. Well.... the problem is I was too much of a chicken to try on the 11/12's. What if they are too small? I know, totally unreasonable but that is my fear right now. Anyone else go through this? I know I am going to have to bite the bullet and just try some on but..... I am scared. There is NO WAY I could be in 11/12's!! People that wear that size are so small. I can't be one of them!!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Wait another week, then go back and try them on girl! :)
  • jmaskx3
    Options
    Oh, I know the feeling. I've worn a 12 for as long as I can remember. Well, the other day I went shopping for clothes for my mom to give to me for Christmas and I was so scared to try on the 10s. I mean, I know ever style of jeans is different and I know the jeans that I currently have are getting loose, but I was petrified. I tried on the 10s. Some of them were too loose some of them fit fine. I even bought a pair of 8s! You'll never know until you try!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    DO IT! They go even smaller than that!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    NOT ME! I LOVE trying on new sizes! I started as a 24...tight 24 getting ready to go into a 26. I am not comfortably in large or some medium tops and am growing out of my size 16 pants...bought a size 14 dress last week. I am having a clothes BLAST. Lucky for me I love thrift stores!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Go for it, girl! If they don't fit today they'll fit in a couple of weeks. You are shrinking! You deserve pants that fit.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    not comfortably should be NOW comfortably:smile:
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of jeans in a size that I haven't been able to fit in over 3 years. Walking into the change room was scary. I had that exact same thought, "What if they don't fit". You know what, they fit!!! What a great feeling! You need to have it too! Go and try them on! You can do it! We're all here for you!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a ways to go before I am in your size, but... about a month ago I went shopping and ended up getting a size smaller in everything. Let me tell you... it is the most incredible feeling. It was an hours drive home, and I'm sure my daughter got tired of hearing me say... I can't believe I'm in a smize smaller... over and over again. Still brings tears to my eyes. Believe me, I was scared too, but it was so worth it.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A while back I was totally scared to try on a size 14 pants. I finally did and to my shock and amazement they slid right on. I was so blown away I just left the store without buying anything.

I held off buying pants for as long as I could but winter set in and I had to do it. This time I decided to buck up and try on size 12's. They fit. It was an amazing feeling. So you just got to bite the bullet and do it. Now my 12's are getting roomy so yesterday went to Ross and tried on size 10 jeans. Just to see. They were still too tight but now I know how much I have to go for a 10 jean to fit. So my advice is just do it. And remember that each brand will fit differently. Some will fit and some won't in the same size. That's not you, it's the manufacture or retailer. Good luck!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    NOT ME! I LOVE trying on new sizes! I started as a 24...tight 24 getting ready to go into a 26. I am not comfortably in large or some medium tops and am growing out of my size 16 pants...bought a size 14 dress last week. I am having a clothes BLAST. Lucky for me I love thrift stores!

Should be shrinking out of a size 16…not growing!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    You've worked so hard and are already seeing results...you probably are an 11/12 and deserve it! I totally understand where you're coming from about trying clothes on. I've been on MFP for a few weeks now and still haven't done my first weigh-in because I'm too scared to weigh myself. What if I haven't lost anything? What if I lose motivation? I am going to measure again soon though.

We both need to have a little faith in ourselves...you're awesome, you've been working hard, and let's face it...the scale and the pair of pants won't bite.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I had the same issue a few weeks ago. My jeans were literally falling off of me & I needed new work pants too. The sales lady asked me what size I needed...well I told her and tried them on. The 2 sizes smaller that I said I needed FIT....What?..Omgosh I was so thrilled!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Give it a go. The big smile on your face if they fit will totally outshine any glumness if they don't and it's only a matter until they do right?

I have a T-shirt that my wife likes to see me in. I yo yo'd in and out of it for awhile and didn't want to try it on just in case it didn't fit. I am right out of it at the moment so I totally get what you're going through.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl....I have been holding off buying new clothes as well. I am in a 14 now as well and I can't wait to get into a 12. I went to Rue 21 a couple of weeks ago and tried on a 13/14....they were really loose in the waist but they fit well in the thighs so I decided to see what the 11/12 would be like. I tried on that 11/12 (I have never been able to wear an 11/12 during my adult life) and they fit well in the waist but they were just a little too fitted in my thighs to wear to work. But trying them on defintely gave me motivation to keep going.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! You're amazing no matter what size you purchase. 10, 12, 8...Who knows? None of it has anything to do with who you are at the core of your being.

Charmagne
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate. I went shopping the other day because I have nothing to wear anymore, everything is falling off. Which is an awesome problem to have. But I didnt even know what size I am or what size to try. I was in a 26 awhile before starting mfp and now I am in a 16 WOW what a great feeling. You deserve to have that feeling. And if they are a little snug buy them anyway they will fit in no time at all......GO FOR IT
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you weigh now - but I am at 165 (I am 5'7") and my 12's fit and I am on my way to 10's. If you are over 30 I would stay away from 11 junior sizing as our bodies change from teenage-hood. Juniors are for teens and early 20's bodies! Try on 12's and I am betting they will fit great! Good luck!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You've worked so hard and are already seeing results...you probably are an 11/12 and deserve it! I totally understand where you're coming from about trying clothes on. I've been on MFP for a few weeks now and still haven't done my first weigh-in because I'm too scared to weigh myself. What if I haven't lost anything? What if I lose motivation? I am going to measure again soon though.

We both need to have a little faith in ourselves...you're awesome, you've been working hard, and let's face it...the scale and the pair of pants won't bite.

I was totally like that with the scale too and I STILL can't believe that the scale read 169lbs. I haven't been that weight in FOREVER..... If you get on that scale I will try on those pants.... Deal?
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    oh man, I'm scared the opposite direction. What if I try on my current size and it's too small?! I'm really looking forward to the day when I can wear some of the stuff I've bought online thinking it would fit, but it didn't.
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try on new clothes that are smaller!! :happy:

I say go try on those clothes!